It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get some input please

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I just woke up and had a bunch of text messages from my mom. Out of nowhere she is asking for my help in purchasing a sidearm and teaching her how to use one.

OK fine I can do that but a few red flags also come to mind.

She has always been anti gun.
She has very recently told me to not be on her property when mine is in my car(99% of the time it is).
And some ass hat told her to get a 1911......WOW

Out of nowhere she wants to get something she can’t handle because some guy friend told her about it. And also why does she feel the need for one?

I personally feel that if you all of a sudden feel the need for one, then you are not ready to have one. Now I don’t know what dumbass convinced her to want one but she is not ready. And way too old I might add. I think I’ll just get her a little .22 rifle and we can go from there. But it is staying at my house until I feel that she can handle it properly. I do have to go to her house and prepare food often. I don’t wanna get shot coming in the door for no damn reason. That does NOT sound cool.

So how would you handle this situation? Do you think my initial thoughts are the correct way to handle this or is a better solution available?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I'd take her to a local firing range. There you have the opportunity to fire any number of firearms while licensed instructors can teach her gun safety before she even purchases one.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Buy her a dog.
Problem solved.

And name the dog glock or sig

Then she can say, come on over and I'll introduce you to my glock......

edit on 17-9-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Buy her a dog.
Problem solved.

I am digging that answer. She has a little one, can’t remember the breed but it is a # head and very mean. Maybe I can her one that has a real bark.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'd take her to a local firing range. There you have the opportunity to fire any number of firearms while licensed instructors can teach her gun safety before she even purchases one.

I can do that and I know someone that is a very good instructor in my area.

One of the text she told me that a guy at the Bass Pro shop can train her.......

OMG really woman? Now he may be a very good instructor. But I feel that getting that kind of training first come from a range. Then someone recommended from your local Sheriffs office.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
I just woke up and had a bunch of text messages from my mom. Out of nowhere she is asking for my help in purchasing a sidearm and teaching her how to use one.

OK fine I can do that but a few red flags also come to mind.

She has always been anti gun.
She has very recently told me to not be on her property when mine is in my car(99% of the time it is).
And some ass hat told her to get a 1911......WOW

Out of nowhere she wants to get something she can’t handle because some guy friend told her about it. And also why does she feel the need for one?

I personally feel that if you all of a sudden feel the need for one, then you are not ready to have one. Now I don’t know what dumbass convinced her to want one but she is not ready. And way too old I might add. I think I’ll just get her a little .22 rifle and we can go from there. But it is staying at my house until I feel that she can handle it properly. I do have to go to her house and prepare food often. I don’t wanna get shot coming in the door for no damn reason. That does NOT sound cool.

So how would you handle this situation? Do you think my initial thoughts are the correct way to handle this or is a better solution available?

I'd be suspiciously-suspicious and concerned abit about her 180° on it. Not to say she's thinking about doing something stupid..but I'd have a loooong talk about personal safety and her sudden turnaround.

Take her to the range w you to watch (and HEAR)...the power of the shot often turns a non-user into a different line of thought as "Maybe I should just get a can of pepperspray!?"

It's your mom...reassure her and if she goes that route, get her the smallest caliber so she doesnt DROP the darn thing!

MS
CPL Holder
9mm/45 ACP/357 Magnum daily carrier
edit on 17-9-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Sounds pretty ageist and discriminatory for you to arbitrarily decide what she can or can't have or handle.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Tell her you love her and would never forgive yourself if she was hurt by use of the weapon.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Sounds pretty ageist and discriminatory for you to arbitrarily decide what she can or can't have or handle.

I can understand your concern. But she is very old and pretty forgetful about everything.
Hence me having to go over to her place and prepare her food. So I am going to go with the whole me being in charge thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Your mom and your sister are nuts. That is a whole bag of co-dependent fun over there.

I would feel uncomfortable with hooking her up with a gun and would not do it- it's the total flip-flop that is troubling. For starters.

The dog solution MIGHT be good, but you have to think of the dog- will she care for it properly? Meaning will she train it and work with it? Or will it get stuck out in the yard? Dogs are pack animals and NEED to live with their pack in the house (yes even big guard-like digs) or they will develop many issues. It will need exercise daily and mental challenges and obedience training.

Please don't get her a dog unless it will be a member of the family and worked witth properly. 4 million dogs are euthanized each year and much of it is due to owners not training the dogs or understanding their need to be in the family, which then leads to behavior problems that get them to the pound and then the grave.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I can understand your concern. But she is very old and pretty forgetful about everything.
Hence me having to go over to her place and prepare her food. So I am going to go with the whole me being in charge thing.

If she's "very old" and "forgetful", just ignore it and she'll forget about it.

It sounds to me like she's been temporarily influenced by a man she might have a crush on and doesn't want to disappoint. Come to think of it, old people are easily influenced anyway, but she may have a special fondness for this guy.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
It sounds to me like she's been temporarily influenced by a man she might have a crush on...

Or maybe she just wants to bust a cap in someone's ass.

OP, has she suddenly taken to wearing a red or blue bandana lately?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Let the guy friend purchase the gun and train her, if he got her interested.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Go with the Canadian version:

Good for sports too.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

What's that old expression?
Bring a knife to a gun fight...

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Let the guy friend purchase the gun and train her, if he got her interested.

That's called a straw purchase and is a felony.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It's possible she just asked a friend what to do about you having one in your car, and they talked her into this- get comfortable with the tool so you don't need to be afraid of it.

Maybe take her out to lunch somewhere quiet and talk it over- then offer to take her to a range and try a few different ones.

If she wants one, I'd say snub .38 revolver... no safety, long hard trigger pull. Doesn't kick too hard, isn't too big, and it has a simple point and click interface.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Get her an alarm system.
Perhaps something scared her and she is feeling really vulnerable right now.
If you are going there to food prep, that right there is an indication that she should NOT have access to a firearm.
Fear can make the mind do some very out of character things.
This sounds like one of them.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I would ask her if there is anything that has happened that makes her feel unsafe. Why does she, at this time, feel like she needs to be armed? My mom did this too. In the early stages of dementia. She hadn't been diagnosed at that point. She was waking up from terrible nightmares thinking there was people in the house. She was scared. I got her the pendant that she wears around her neck. Just push the button and help would be there faster than she could get out of bed, get the gun and load it.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Heckler & Koch MP5 should be just the ticket. If her arms are strong, buy 2, one for each hand.

en.wikipedia.org...

Either that, or a MAC-10. Good luck.

en.wikipedia.org...

Training is key.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join