It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microbes produce spherical sand grains on Mars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Quote:
NASA’s Mars Rover Curiosity discovered plentiful indigenous spherical ooids at High Dune and Namib Dune in Bagnold dune field, Gale Crater, Mars. Closely resembling ooids of Earth, the Martian ooids are spherical in shape, similar in size, mostly about 0.5 mm in diameter. Colors of the Martian ooids are various, including white, yellow translucent, green, grey, and yellow. The Martian ooids should have been formed by microbes, because ooids of Earth have recently been found to be formed by microbes and microbial borings are found in ooids of Earth and Mars. The Martian ooids are unlikely to have been formed by non-biological mechanisms, because there was no highly agitated water at the discovery sites.
Unquote
Quoted from a peer-reviewed article published in the Journal of Astrobiology & Outreach at
www.omicsonline.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: FossilLin

You wouldn't be the author of that article that you linked to, by any chance?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Yes.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Seems like a bit of a stretch
Didn't scientist once say some fossils were found on a meteorite and some still do believe that though it's been proven wrong

www.slate.com...

Interesting but unlikely, assumption is not empirical

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

That is a fine article you got published. I can see you put some work into it, and you focus on an interesting subject.

Seems an unfortunate shame (and a bit odd) you didn't just introduce us to your article.

Seems like it may have been more appropriate to mention to us that the quote you posted comes from your abstract of your own article.
edit on 9/17/2018 by Lr103 because: incomplete reply

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

"Interesting but unlikely, assumption is not empirical "
What is the empirical evidence for identifying ooids on Mars?
There are more than 1 billion tons of ooids on Earth. Few of them were ever identified with "empirical evidence".

edit on 18-9-2018 by FossilLin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

"Seems an unfortunate shame (and a bit odd) you didn't just introduce us to your article.
Seems like it may have been more appropriate to mention to us that the quote you posted comes from your abstract of your own article. "

I hoped the discussion to focus on the Martian ooids. I don't want to be a skunk.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Seems like a bit of a stretch
Didn't scientist once say some fossils were found on a meteorite and some still do believe that though it's been proven wrong

www.slate.com...

Interesting but unlikely, assumption is not empirical

They're still going back and forth on the fossil evidence in the Martian meteorite. I remember reading a paper a couple of years ago that refuted the counter-claims that the fossil evidence was non-existent.

Of course the popular media let the story drop after the initial evidence was questioned.

-dex

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Interesting isn't it
You find something on a rock and it looks like something so logically it must be aliens
I am no expert, just a little skeptical

I am always surprised when people are so damned sure

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

"You find something on a rock and it looks like something so logically it must be aliens "
I don't know exactly what you are referring to.
Anyway, let's focus on ooids on Mars. Ooids, like pearls, are products made by life. Ooids are not made by geological processes.
The chemistry of ooids are not only complex but also varies greatly among different ooids. So, there are no chemical compounds that can define all the ooids. DNA can define humans, but not ooids.
Ooids have concentric layers, but individual concentric layers are often 1 to 3 micrometers in thickness. Individual concentric layers cannot be seen by any rovers on Mars. Thin sections and surface polishing are required before microscopes can show them.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: FossilLin

"You find something on a rock and it looks like something so logically it must be aliens "
I don't know exactly what you are referring to.
Anyway, let's focus on ooids on Mars. Ooids, like pearls, are products made by life. Ooids are not made by geological processes.
The chemistry of ooids are not only complex but also varies greatly among different ooids. So, there are no chemical compounds that can define all the ooids. DNA can define humans, but not ooids.
Ooids have concentric layers, but individual concentric layers are often 1 to 3 micrometers in thickness. Individual concentric layers cannot be seen by any rovers on Mars. Thin sections and surface polishing are required before microscopes can show them.

supasoils.com.au...

$90 Au a ton, (metric) Laterite Pea Gravel, ooidish, but not made by aliens, just sedimentary water deposits.
Just search how its formed on the net
Pea Gravel has concentric layers, individual concentric layers, they are not alien in any way

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I am always surprised when people are so damned sure

Ya, imagine that..kinda like religion..right?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

"Gravel /ˈɡrævəl/ is a loose aggregation of rock fragments. Gravel is classified by particle size range and includes size classes from granule- to boulder-sized fragments. In the Udden-Wentworth scale gravel is categorized into granular gravel (2 to 4 mm or 0.079 to 0.157 in) and pebble gravel (4 to 64 mm or 0.2 to 2.5 in)."
Quoted from Wikipedia article on gravel.

There is no concentric layer in the pea gravels in your photo.
There is no alien in ooids of Earth.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Does this help?

Martian Spherules

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Thank you. The page shows martian "blueberries". There is a possibility that martian blueberries were produced by mars life. BUT the evidence is insufficient, mainly because there are very few photos that show the inner structures of the martian blueberries.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

All I know about them is from Googling so I will leave it to the experts.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Yeah but nah, laterite gravel is iron oxide concentric layers
I didn't or don't expect their alien

Might want to do the research

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Your photo: supasoils.com.au...
is actually a nice photo to me. However, I forgot to mention that there is no nucleus in the gravels in your photo.
edit on 19-9-2018 by FossilLin because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2018 by FossilLin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Does that mean they are hollow...or just not alien
How do you know there is a nucleus in the Martian ooids, they could be hollow or just mineral

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

According to reports by NASA, there is almost no hematite or silica in the sand grains at Gobabeb in the Namib Dune, Bagnold dune field, Gale Crater, Mars. So, that rules out the possibility of martian blueberries or Utah's Moqui marbles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join