It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pozole!!...OH MAN!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
They say it's a labor of love, and while it doesn't take too long to make it does involve a lot of pots, ingredients and a fair amount of prep. But, OH MAN, is this good!!

Now, I have to say, my lovely bride isn't really into spicy food that much (at ALL), and this recipe will satisfy even the most conservative pallets.

I made this from a recipe I searched for, so I cannot claim it as my own. I strongly encourage anyone who loves good eats to try this one!! It's DEE-LICIOUS!!

(Plenty of pics in the link too!)

I actually made it with Yard Bird instead of Pork (all dark meat yard bird, legs and thighs) and it was FABULOUS!! You can make it either way.

Here you go...

Polzole
edit on 9/16/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Sounds divine, thanks brother.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Where is the bacon?

Needs bacon!

Lol.

I would love to try it, but one and a half hours to make soup does not happen in my kitchen.

Well, I have to go to the shop and buy some bacon. Need cheese as well.

P

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So, for those interested, I actually skinned the yard bird(s) (saved me having to scald and pluck them, only to skin them later). I packed and froze the breasts for use later this week; the wife makes a fantastic baked pastry out of them with apricot preserves, Gruyere cheese and basil. The carcasses get cooked down into broth, and the dogs get the organs boiled down into a broth over their food. Nothing goes to waste.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We do the green variety up here.

Two birds, slow simmered, hominy, pumpkin, tomatillo, jalapeno puree to season the broth ...

Then served up over the usual range of condiments ...

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Oh, but man, you should try it...the hominy is fantastic after it absorbs all that pepper flavor. And the cabbage, radishes and lime juice at the end is just to die for!

This one is a KNOCK OUT!

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Pumkin, huh? Hmmmm...I'll have to try that one!

I'm always looking for more ways to use pumpkin! That's not something I would have thought of for this dish.

Interesting.

ETA - I love Jalapenos, but for this dish I used the Ancho and Arbol peppers. I also threw some Pasilla peppers in there too before simmering and then blending. (And I also threw in some Chipotle peppers in Adobo suace too....sssshhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, okay?)
edit on 9/16/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Oops! I forgot a word -- pumpkin seeds. I meant to type pumpkin seeds. So, still using pumpkin in way, but the seeds. Sorry.

edit on 16-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

OOOOoooohhhhhhh!!! Holy crap, that's a little bit different!

Pumkin "seed" are a long (long) way away from pumpkin flesh! LOL!!! I was sittin' here trying to figure out how the heck you could work pumpkin into pozole. I was kind of going down the path of bacon with cupcakes kinda thing, but different.

Pumpkin is such a strong flavor, it just takes over everything. I wish there was more ways to use it, but it just always tastes like...well, pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread; they're all great, but they're always pumkin-y.

No matter what you put in pumpkin it always tastes the same. When I was a kid Mom always used to say "Put butter, salt and pepper on it...and you'll like it!". For the most part she was right, but with pumpkin...it still tastes like pumpkin.

I've made pumpkin pasta before. It was great, but it tasted like...pumpkin. And the problem with pumpkin flavor is not much goes with it (not in the savory family anyway). Sure sugar and spice goes with it, but as an entree or side you can't do much with it because it overpowers every flavor, even garlic. (and garlic-ey pumpkin is WAY nasty!)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
So, for those interested, I actually skinned the yard bird(s) (saved me having to scald and pluck them, only to skin them later). I packed and froze the breasts for use later this week; the wife makes a fantastic baked pastry out of them with apricot preserves, Gruyere cheese and basil. The carcasses get cooked down into broth, and the dogs get the organs boiled down into a broth over their food. Nothing goes to waste.

It is so much easier to skin a bird than to pluck it. I got ten old laying hens from a friend a few years back and we skinned them, The soup was great, skinning them doesn't take away from the flavor of an old stewing hen much.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

LIke 10,000% easier!!

Not just a little bit, but a WHOLE LOT easier!

Pluckin' birds SUCKS! (big time!)

It's not hard, it just sucks! If I have to pluck birds, I can't even stand the thought of eating them until several days later. In fact, the last freaking thing on planet Earth I want to eat is birds I just plucked!! I'll starve first!

Plucking birds makes a colossal mess, it stinks to high-heaven and it just thoroughly sucks! (and we even have a electric plucker too, but it's still a nasty job...and there ain't no easier way. It's like a curse to me! I'll do it, but I ain't eatin' 'em after I do it...not for a while!

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

LIke 10,000% easier!!

Not just a little bit, but a WHOLE LOT easier!

Pluckin' birds SUCKS! (big time!)

It's not hard, it just sucks! If I have to pluck birds, I can't even stand the thought of eating them until several days later. In fact, the last freaking thing on planet Earth I want to eat is birds I just plucked!! I'll starve first!

Plucking birds makes a colossal mess, it stinks to high-heaven and it just thoroughly sucks! (and we even have a electric plucker too, but it's still a nasty job...and there ain't no easier way. It's like a curse to me! I'll do it, but I ain't eatin' 'em after I do it...not for a while!

I used to go to a friends house and process and pluck Turkeys with him before thanksgiving. My granddaughter came to help a few days too. It is a big job, I would get a smoked turkey and thanksgiving turkey for my two days of working with him. The turkeys were great, between twenty three and thirty five pounds. At least with turkeys there is a lot of meat when you process them, chickens are small.

If everyone had to process some turkeys or chickens, they would appreciate the birds at the store much more.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

You should start a YouTube cooking channel! Hell, bet you could compete with Redneck Tammy!

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
coincidentally I'm making some too!

carnitas (pork chunks), hominy, limas, green onions, seasoning.

made some a few days ago with turkey leg

dabbling in Native American cooking.

I understand *real* succotash is made with hominy, not green (sweet) corn, common food in early USA
edit on 17-9-2018 by ElGoobero because: add ingredient

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

don't know how authentic but yummy
edit on 17-9-2018 by ElGoobero because: add line

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
A couple more for you to try:

Beef Stew (Caldo de res)
Chicken Mole (Pollo con Mole)

top topics