It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Startrek will always be better than Starwars.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Its not about special effects or gadgets, or other trickery. Why Startrek will always win over Starwars is essentially because its storyboils down to showing how the best attributes of humanity are able to confront; any great mystery or threat and come out otherside intact. It is a story about survival of the human spirit.

Why starwars loses is because its dark and the human spirit is constantly eroded and destroyed to the point of wondering if there is even a difference between good and evil. Its negative and all of its symbology is aligned to Satanic principles.

The reason why the original starwars was a hit was because of new ground brealing special effects and also the story outcome was incredibly optomistic with good triump over evil.

All subsequence sequels, prequels had dark outcomes. Now Disney has taken over the dark agenda is exemplified more. Starswars is not about humanity evolving into the best it can be, nor about humanity trying to find the answer to itself in the mystery of the universe out there. Starswars is about the darkness of the ego and that is why the Starwars universe started off huge and after the series of movies seems very, very small.

only that they are not all human.
edit on 16-9-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Star Trek is an intelligent conceptual vision, about Earth HUMANS who undertake voyages of discovery into the Cosmos, to explore strange New Worlds, to seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly go where No HuMan has gone before.........
Within our Galaxy.
Same as Europeans, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and many other civilisations and peoples, explored and discovered strange new lands on Earth.

Star Wars is a fairy tale, of a group of pretend ancient life forms in a Galaxy far, far, Farrrrrr away from our Milky Way...and not even related to us or in our time line.

Therefore Star Trek is humankind relatable. Star Wars is a comic book fantasy.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Who says I was joking?
Dont mind that emoticon. For seriousness..Star ship troopers...Way, way better.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Red Dwarf rekts them all.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Red Dwarf rekts them all.

Smegen 'ell, you're rite !!

Well, there's always Blake's 7.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Red Dwarf was alright, also Sliders and Farscape were two shows way better then both star trek, and that other star something show or movie or whatever it was.

But Star Ship Troopers, still number one.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

I've never thought about it before. It's kinda apples and oranges. Trek has hours and hours of TV shows and SW doesn't. In that light, Trek whoops SW on TV series.

Going raw and comparing SW movies to Trek movies is more of an equivalence and I'd favour SW in that fight. The first three SW films beat all the other Trek ones put together.

Overall I agree with you on Trek purely on narratives and ideas. SW got dark in considering how absolute power can corrupt absolutely. Trek did all that and much more over the years.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
StarTrek generations and voyager are still the best sci-fi things out there

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
For me Star Wars is more like Harry Potter than it is Star Trek, personally I see Star Wars as a fantasy movie about Space wizards and Star-Trek as a sic-fi movie about scientists on some massive space exploration adventure.

Star Wars for me will always win though, I can just sit back and enjoy it, I think its probably because its been a childhood love that has continued through to adulthood that just takes me back. I can honestly sit and watch a movie like the Last Jedi and feel like a 13 year old again and not care about anything else for a few hours. I feel real emotional attachment to the characters and universe which is something deeply personal that I just don't feel with Star Trek so for me Star Wars will always win.

Honestly I don't think either is "better" it comes down to personal opinion of what is better for you and thats all that matters really. This is a interesting article thats now out of date that done a whole Star Wars Vs Star Trek based on numbers, its interesting if you want to try to get a slightly more objective view on it.

(Spoiler- Star Wars wins, had it bookmarked from a argument I had on a reddit board:lol

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

You missed an entire theme that Star Wars 4 A New Hope nailed the hero's journey perfectly and society needed that at exactly that time after the Vietnam War's effects on the USA. It was not the special effects alone though they obviously did help.

You also missed that the first trilogy - Star Wars, Empire and Jedi also mapped out a heroic journey for our band of characters. Each character had an established arc and changed and grew as a result. Hence why it's one of the most popular trilogies to this day.

Measuring one against the other is stupid IMHO. I like them both for different reasons. Though Star Wars had a profound effect on my young mind and still does to this day.

Star Trek was more grounded in scifi basics which made it quite good with what it was/is doing. I have enjoyed every ST show, some more than others. I've enjoyed most of the films. I used to attend ST conventions on a regular basis.

You also forgot Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica. And I think I should shout out Expanse!

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
All you can say is you like one better so far. Eventually Star Trek will fall into the wrong hands and be ruined forever. You will know this happened when you see a young band of geniuses fighting for the revolution. They will be mostly non white and all of them will be gay. At some point they will go back in time to fight the Nazis. Etc. etc. all the rest of the formula. Then you know they have run out of ideas.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Take the first 6 Star Wars movie
2 DVD players
Start 1 and 4
Then 2 and 5
Then 3 and 6

Same movies , different days

SMDD?

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I was always more of a Star Wars fan until Star Treck Voyager came out, from that point on it was all about Seven of Nine.

I mean, come on, who could forget Season 7, Episode 18?

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

the remake of battle star starts of with blonde in red dress.
I suspect they got the idea from this red dress.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

And the original startrek movies had better stories than the lastest trek remakes.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I never really liked comparing either of them but loved them both.

The NEW star trek series ruined the klingon's but was a good sci fi in it's own right, still it just was NOT Star Trek, unless it was Star Trek in some twisted parallel reality to the universe in which the other Star Trek series were based.
I'll agree with OtherSideOfTheCoin about star wars being space wizards but I loved it - in the past tense sadly as the new movies are a disgrace to the franchise as if the prequel's were not bad enough but to my mind the original episode IV remains perhaps the best sci fi movie of all time edged of it's perch for enjoyment by the first guardians of the Galaxy (why did they go and have to kill off that franchise).

But you all have it wrong, the best sci fi series of all time although it is extremely dated now remains' Neither of these two franchises but rather the original series of Battlestar Galactica - they killed it once they got to earth but up to that point it was cool.

Next the Doctor Who Franchise come's just behind them and in serious need of being remade Space 1999 a number of reboot's have been suggested such as space 2099 but so far non have appeared.

Also worthy of note the Expanse, it is really good but a far slower form of science fiction then any of these.
The Westworld series is also very good.

But if I had to choose between Trek and Wars then Trek just about edges it though for me Star Wars was ahead for a long time before the Prequel's killed the magic and then Darth Mickey had his revenge on the franchise killing most of the lore.

Prior to Darth Mickey though it was definitely Star Wars with it's pre-disney expanded universe but then I read the comic's as a kid in the 80's.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I do have to agree, I got a bit pervy there too she was one very hot cyborg.

Still I actually liked some of the Vulcan lady's too when I was younger that is - hmm probably read too many lord of the ring's novels as a kid or something you know pointy ears and all of that as after all they really are just Tolkien type elves in space and Klingon's are Orc's - Romulan's the original series were Russian's and Romulan's were something else.

Actually the best episode of any of the star trek franchise still has to be Balance of Terror, this was the first time Kirk met the Romulan's and these were not like the Cossack raiding Klingon's but more like the cool collected soviet submarine commanders and there crew's so the episode ended up being played out like a WW2 or cold war submarine and destroyer movie, the Romulan's played the role of the Soviet submarine playing cat and mouse with the enterprise which took on the role of a US Destroyer hunting them both captain's were brilliant and the actor whom played the Romulan commander went on to take up the role of Sarek in the series.

edit on 16-9-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Its not about special effects or gadgets, or other trickery. Why Startrek will always win over Starwars is essentially because its storyboils down to showing how the best attributes of humanity are able to confront; any great mystery or threat and come out otherside intact.

I love Star Trek but Facebook proved Roddenberry wrong on most of that laughable "human spirit" bull#.

The steaming pile of excrement that is the internet (And the persistent squealing and begging for censorship) is what humans do with better technology.

If I could have sat my fat ass down in front of a PC in 1988 and imagined how the PC could go so wrong, the 2018 internet would be it.

edit on 16-9-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It’s just entertainment, both are science fiction. Although I do lean slightly to the Trek. In the Trek universe the women have always been strong characters, I find that very hot.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3 In the Trek universe the women have always been strong characters, I find that very hot.

I agree with that for sure. DS9's Kira was probably the best of these overall. Terry Farrell was gorgeous but she just didn't look like she could kick your butt. Kira did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join