It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Colonization: The Quiet Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.space.com...

ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO -- An initial step towards the creation of mass transit beyond our planet is the emerging public space travel market.

At present, a number of technologies are being developed for other applications by non-aerospace industries deemed useful in fostering space colonization. These technologies will automate many aspects of large scale space system development, as well as drive down costs – thereby advancing the onset of colonization.

That’s the view among a group of visionary practitioners of the future taking part in the Space Technology & Applications International Forum (STAIF), held here February 13-17.

i really want to go to space some day and this is a great leap for my dream and many other people's dreams...

here is some other interesting facts:

"There are so many technologies coming on," McCullough told SPACE.com. "The commercial drivers of these technologies are so massive, and the money is so large, that they they’re going to come right out of the blue," he said.

There are many more advancements that are already in the pipeline, McCullough said. "Some of the technologies that are out there are going to allow us to do some things that people are going to find incredible."

A few favorites on the Boeing scientist’s list are:

- Large scale, micro scale and high-speed fabrication with metal, ceramics, plastics and electro active polymers;

- Autonomous robotics capable of interacting with complex objects and capable of piecing together modules and performing complicated repair duties unattended;

- Smart programmable shape materials and intelligent materials, along with microscopic fluidic computers;

- Space suits amplified with artificial muscles and polymer electronics;

- Artificial organs for life support, chemical processing and water treatment;

- Genetic engineering of Mars adapted plants and intelligence-boosted domestic animals, including e-coli delivered pharmaceuticals and other very advanced health care remedies.

here is something about my favorite planet:

Why put Mars in the colonization crosshairs?

"Mars is a planet that has many unusual and spectacular features that will draw people to it," McCullough told the STAIF gathering. "Being a planet rather than a moon, it has undergone many of the geological processes which have caused the formation of minerals on Earth," he said.

That being the case, Mars is a user-friendly world, rife with many industrially useful minerals for construction and manufacturing purposes. It has a suite of "ates", "ites" and "ides" of common metals with common non metals, McCullough pointed out. The red planet is also wrapped in abundant carbon dioxide which will be fairly easy to condense, he said.

Water availability on Mars is another huge plus.

There is abundant evidence of past water activity on Mars. It should be present in permafrost at higher latitudes on the planet. It may also be present in hydrated minerals, McCullough stated.

"The availability of water on Mars in significant quantities would once again simplify our projected industrial activities. This makes extensive bases leading to colonies more likely," McCullough concluded.

the future is looking great for space lovers

enjoy...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
you might be interested in the 2004 united states space breifing by bush you can get it at the nasa web page if you havent seen it already you should check it out. if its true we should be seeing major space colinization in the next 10 to 15 year or maby even sooner.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonine
you might be interested in the 2004 united states space breifing by bush you can get it at the nasa web page if you havent seen it already you should check it out. if its true we should be seeing major space colinization in the next 10 to 15 year or maby even sooner.

yes...

i hope bush wasn't saying this just to gain in popularity though...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Personaly I wish we had remained in Space after the Apollo missions and not gone back to simply driving a pick up truck out there to manage satelites ( shuttle) Mars is ripe for terraforming but it isnt going to happen in the next 10 years to any significant degree. It is a HUGE undertaking and currently we are just beginning to check out the neighborhood. We dont even have the capability (yet) to get a manned mission there. Now that the Chinese have made it clear they are going to put men on the moon, hopefully that will spark more political will towards joint space exploration along with the EU, Russia,Brazil, India and China all of whom have a space program.
HomoSapiens have been on earth for arround 200,000 years and we are just beginning to dip our toes into space. Mars will have to wait just a bit longer, but we are on our way.
Want to help push mankind into space???? Write your washington representatives and urge them to support all space related legislature. Write often and get all your friends to do so as well.
We have had the potential to do so much more for quite some time but political will has been very weak on Space issues. Read the book ' A step further out' by Jerry Pournell and you will see how much time we have allready wasted

if aliens are real (i think they are) we are VERY behind them

we need to catch up

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I think the Public Sectors of the world should be allowed to start their own programs for space. Big Corporate Companies can afford it, Governments cannot. Sure, they would be doing it for money, but you know how fast we can advance into space with companies competing against each other to do better in space and to do more research?

Space Exploration and Colonization is held back by the world governments, once money from public sectors can get into it, we are going to slowly move.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I wonder how comparatively effective tax dollars would work if NASA were scrapped entirely and that money was instead used to obtain specific objectives with Anasari-X prize style contests.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by utrex]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Don't want to be the negative however, my opinion on this is we should clean up our mess here on earth (including # in orbit) before attempting
or planning messing up another planet or another planets orbit.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Spreading out to other worlds is actually a crucial and necessary step in cleaning up our own world. It's like having too many fish in a small pond. The water gets scummy, etc. You need to take some fish out and put them in another pond.

The good news is that we know more now, and aren't likely to repeat a lot of the same mistakes on a new world. Relieving the pressure here, will likewise allow for some cleanup to take place on a global scale.

Once the private sector has all the tech in place, I think we're going to see a very rapid expansion of this market. May take some years to get there, but once it starts, I think it will be exponential.... Don't know about you, but I'm eagerly watching those in the race, because I definitely want to be in on the ground floor of the next big revolution....

new topics

top topics

join