It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide and the consequences thereof

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I recently stumbled across this TED talk given by a (retired) member of the California Highway Patrol (Chips, if anyone remembers that show.) and I thought it would make a good discussion for ATS.

I had no idea that The Golden Gate Bridge was such a popular place for people wishing to die, some of whom travel hundreds of miles to get there. Every country worldwide has places that attract people who are at the end of their tether. In my native England, Beachy Head (a cliff) is one of the more popular places.

Without much ado, he recounts various stories of people who were ready and that many of them he helped. He would talk to them for hours, quietly, gently and with compassion. It's a hard video to watch but also heart-warming. I did cry though so there is that. I lost 2 family members to suicide.

Sometimes people just need someone to talk to. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer on a Saturday night but sometimes the unspeakable needs to be said

I'm sure many have thought that they wish they were dead, myself included but most (thankfully!) never take the final step. If any of you should know someone feeling so low that everything seems futile, perhaps this video might offer some insight.

Over to you ATS.

ETA Deep respect to Officer Briggs.

edit on 15/9/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here in the Florida keys , USA ...hurricane Irma hit us last year September 10 2017 .... The suicide rate here , since then , has increased by over 30 % .... At least 20 people I know have committed suicide within the year after the hurricane ... All relates to having Hurricane related trama and issues .... The county code department is giving people a hard time while rebuding , insurance won't pay or is giving a hard time , flood insurance is stupid and useless , FEMA is not helping people either .... It's very sad .... I am still homeless too , but have good friends to help , and have honestly never been so emotionally that low to want to kill myself . ... But suicide awareness has recently become a big issue in key west ... And there are now a few private organizations popping up ...maybe people here will start to get the mental help and support that they need.
edit on 15-9-2018 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

you are right
sometimes people just need someone to talk to

and sometimes people just want to check out
they should be able to

we should have control over our own being and when we want to end it

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

As Mr. Briggs mentioned, in hundreds of cases he only lost 2 people. I agree that our life is our own but his statistics seem to indicate that most are preventable.
edit on 15/9/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
t most are preventable.

should they be?

i am not a violent person and i definitely do not believe in taking anothers life if you dont have to

but if people want to kill themselves cause it is wednesday i say have at it

edit on 15-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

t most are preventable.

should they be?

i am not a violent person and i definitely do not believe in taking anothers life if you dont have to

but if people want to kill themselves cause it is wednesday i say have at it

When your kid is thinking about suicide for one reason or an other you might feel differently.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

I'm sorry to hear you are still homeless but thankful you have friends to help. I can't imagine the stuff Americans have to put up with. I live in a small country that thankfully has no tornadoes, hurricanes and all the other nasty natural phenomena. The only risk here is flooding but they seem to have solved that problem for now at least. (Most of the Netherlands is under sea level.)

I think a lot of suicides result from people feeling alone and making decisions on their own with depressed logic. Hopelessness, as Mr. Briggs mentioned. Sometimes all you need to do is listen.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I think you may have misunderstood the premise of this thread. Prevention. My Dad told me as an adult:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

That always stayed with me, he tried it himself aged 26 and thankfully failed.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When your kid is thinking about suicide for one reason or an other you might feel differently.

you are correct

but when someone elses kid feels that way i wont

and to clarify obviously when i say people should be able to end their life i am talking about adults

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I think you may have misunderstood the premise of this thread. Prevention. My Dad told me as an adult:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

That always stayed with me, he tried it himself aged 26 and thankfully failed.

my dad killed himself with fenobarbital when i was 25

all problems are not temporary

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I've been in that deep dark place twice but got through them with supreme help. The biggest problem is that the person does not show signs of being low or depressed, so really to help them they first must admit that they need help. That is why people say "it's a cry for help" because at that time they can see no other way, or know any other way , to get help.
My best friends wife was a nurse, she worked in casualty, and they actually despised failed suicides as they caused them so much extra work. Then a couple of years later she attached a hoover pipe to her car exhaust, put the other end into her car window and did the deed. That came out of nowhere.
I read her suicide note, more a suicide essay, pages long, all blaming other people for her actions, or her interpretation of actions which no one could believe.
I will say this, which everybody will hate me for, but people who commit suicide are very selfish. Yes, their pain has stopped, but the pain they leave behind can be incalculable.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Are you kidding me?!?
On September 11 a few days ago, we went to a 9-11 ceremony on the Firetruck. It’s something they do every year at an elementary school in our territory.
Hours later we did CPR for 45 minutes trying to bring back a 15 year old from that school. Is that one ok?
I know depression is real and to a 15 year old girl it may seem like the world is over, but it’s not! Only if you hang yoirself in your room. Saying it’s cool in your book might lead a teenager on these very boards to go ahead.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

i said i was talking about adults
i am just giving my opinion on things

i cant control how people take my posts

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
From another thread I borrowed this video to add reason to the argument. See you tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

From another thread I borrowed this video to add reason to the argument. See you tomorrow.

That's the one I shared in the Shed. I found it very powerful and inspiring. Thanks for bringing it in here!

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Indeed. Suicide is selfish. One pain is irrevocably stopped, the family on the other hand..... My Step-Mother lost her son. He went to study to be a nurse in London. After a few months he made his decision and the last sentence his friends heard from him in the pub was "This is the last drink I'm gonna buy you guys." Innocuous. That night he ended his life, 23 years old. His Mother never got over it even to this day some 30 years later.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

you are right
sometimes people just need someone to talk to

and sometimes people just want to check out
they should be able to

we should have control over our own being and when we want to end it

I would think that depends on the person and situation. For example, if one has an incurable disease and doesn't want to prolong the inevitable etc. I once helped a young man who wanted to take his life and after many talks and it was quite the challenge, he changed his mind. Last I heard, he got married and had a beautiful daughter and was happy again. It was worth all the time spent trying desperately to reach out to this young person.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
That you must be thanked for. A bright star in a dark night.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It is tragic and life changing for those left behind. There was help available to the young man. I don't know if he took the steps to get any though or what his situation was. When someone has reached a point where they have lost all hope, it doesn't mean they don't care about those they left behind, it means their pain was greater and they could no longer deal. Very, very sad to see anyone get to that stage.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You sound cold, selfish and heartless unless it concerns YOU. Just an observation. Your replies and matter of fact statements indicate the same. I hope you never get into a dark place, all alone and devoid of rational thought like most people contemplating suicide. I'm sorry your Dad took that path.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join