It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Achilles heel of the Republican Party is the gun issue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Public execution

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun
I'm watching more than half of our country abandoning logic and reason, adopting riteous hatred, and losing their collective minds, all while the main mouth pieces of America (The media), are leading the way!

I believe the two biggest reasons to explain this phenomenon are 1) "The media is an incredibly effective propaganda tool and many Americans are too intellectually lazy to question what they hear", and 2), every mass shooting in America creates incredible ammunition to this same propaganda machine I write this thread not because I am anti gun (I'm only anti gun in the hands of idiots, or people who have idiots in their household)

First, you give “the media” credit for far too much power.

You stated it in your opening sentence; the media is merely “the mouthpiece(s) for the American public, it repeats 24/7, in the never ending news cycle, just what the public demands to hear and see!

The media is big business, it lives or dies on revenue generated by having the public aaccess its content, which is what makes it valuable to its advertisers.

To claim the “the media” is some kind of organized liberal cabal is (when the owners of said media are, in fact, multi-millionaires and billionaires far more receptive to Republican beliefs) is a far right paranoid fever dream.

Second, you claim that you are “only anti-gun in the hands of idiots, or who have idiots in their household”.

But you have already stated in your opening that you “are watching more than half our country abandoning logic and reason, adopting riteous (sic) hatred, and losing their collective minds”. By your reasoning, then, more than half the country should never be allowed access to guns!

Finally, again by your logic, as you have stated, “idiots” or those households that include idiots, should not be allowed access to guns.

The biggest problem with that rationale, though you obviously missed it, is that at one point or another

Almost everyone can, and will, act in a manner that could be defined as “Idiotic!”

Everyone has a “breaking point”. Everyone had a moment when passion overwhelms perspective and thing are said and/or done that are regretted.

No one can predict when or how it will happen to themselves, but we all know, if we are honest with ourselves, that it will happen.

Guns just make many of those regrettable moments permanent.
edit on 15-9-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

What I'm hearing being implied by several of my fellow conservatives, is everyone should have the right to own a gun? I just want to make sure I'm getting this right... and some of you have missed the point completely... I know that gun deaths are minuscule compared to all deaths in this country (reread my post). The problem is we are getting at butts kicked in the propaganda war that's going on right now and it largely has to do with the gun issue. I'm not saying to ban guns, I'm saying to limit gun ownership to people deserving of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Galacticsun

every mass shooting in America creates incredible ammunition to this same propaganda machine and turns many people away from the Republican Party who otherwise would probably be on board with many conservative issues.

speaking for myself the gun rights situation has little to do with my dislike for the republican party.
all i need to do is read the threads on here and posts by conservative/republican/right leaning members to remind myself i want nothing to do with them.
my interaction with them on here is plenty good enough for me

If you want nothing to do with them, why are you here now talking to them?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: BrianFlanders
I´m sure a mod will stop by soon to solve this problem. We should make a law against posting in the wrong forum so it never happens again ^^

People that post in the wrong forum should not own guns.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

its entertaining
i like to hear others points of view especially if they dont fall in line with mine
the interactions here give me something to think about

and i am talking to everyone here not just them.

i meant in real life. i dont have these discussions with anyone in real life.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Bhahidar, we will have to agree to disagree with the impact that the media has had on our culture. They absolutely are the window into the world at large for the common person. The media is big business, but it also creates perceptions for people. I'm admittedly a news junky and I visit sites from CNN, BBC, Foxnews, RT and MSNBC and the anti trump bias (with the exception of fox of the ones mentioned) is glaringly obvious. There is no question in my mind that the big business power brokers in the media know exactly what they are doing, and they understand that what they do forms and influences public opinion.

Second, yes I agree with you that every human being can have idiotic moments. To be human is to error. But I also believe that some people are idiots a whole lot more often than others, and this can often be measured in their criminal history and other consequences of poor decision making. I can tell you took offense at my opening paragraph about half the country abandoning logic and reason. I understand, but please keep in mind context. In that context it was logic and reason as to how to best move forward as a country. I would not necessarily convert that to logic and reason with regards to being responsible in your personal household or how one might handle a deadly weapon. I have some liberal friends who are decent and intelligent people that would make fine gun owners and are responsible citizens (if they believed in gun ownership). I could go into why I believe identity politics is very harmful for this country and is the basis for which the democratic platform stands on, but that's a whole other thread.

I'm of a minority ethnicity, but I rather be defined by my values of who I am as a person rather than my skin color, party affiliation, or sexual orientation. Why should someone be told what to do or how they should feel based on the shallowest attributes of what actually makes them who they are?
edit on 15-9-2018 by Galacticsun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun

The more we limit gun ownership, the more crime there will be. The worst crime is always in places with the most regulation. I think we should roll back gun laws to the pre 1963 era. All those laws passed after the Kennedy assassination did nothing to reduce crime and wouldn't stop future assassinations either. There was low crime back then compared to now.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

its entertaining
i like to hear others points of view especially if they dont fall in line with mine
the interactions here give me something to think about

and i am talking to everyone here not just them.

i meant in real life. i dont have these discussions with anyone in real life.

I don't discuss politics or religion in real life. I just tell people I hate to talk about that stuff.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I don't discuss politics or religion in real life. I just tell people I hate to talk about that stuff.

yeah me either
i just said that
edit on 15-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I won’t be giving away any of my rights nor will I be trying to take yours. We have too many idiots that spend their time trying to take each other’s rights away which ultimately screws us all over. Only the government wins when we take each other’s freedoms.

ETA. Also, people won’t “all agree” on anything.
edit on 2018/9/15 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun Plenty of laws on the books designed to keep guns out of the wrong hands,work about as good as laws against opiuoids or weed.Want to make Russia rich? Ban assault rifles and get ready for dealers selling full auto AK47`s in every city in the US.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun Plenty of laws on the books designed to keep guns out of the wrong hands,work about as good as laws against opiuoids or weed.Want to make Russia rich? Ban assault rifles and get ready for dealers selling full auto AK47`s in every city in the US.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well i for one fully support the arming of the American populous with surplus F-16s.

At least i think that was the question? TLDR

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun I've been watching in disbelief as even with a record hot economy, North Korea stopping it's anti American aggression for the first time in decades, Iran on its way to economic ruin and collapse, illegal immigration at decade low numbers, and trade deals finally being negotiated fairly towards the USA, poll numbers are looking more and more precarious for Republicans. How is it that in any other time in history the preceding accomplishments would by all objective accounts be considered "winning" but in this day and age at least half of our country seems to think we are doing terribly as a nation?

The only thing here in your list of accomplishments that is remotely true is the one about the economy. I think you've been consuming your own brand of propaganda, and then projecting this deficiency onto your most hated enemy "other" as a defense mechanism for your ego. Hope this helps & answers your question

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A tax on the right to own a fire arm. That should go over quite well.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The funny thing about what you say about conservatives , is the mass shootings and violent acts are usually carried out by liberals. HMMM

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Explain how liberals tell us the Trump is fascist, authoritarian, but yet you want to give all the guns to the government?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The Achilles Heel of the republican party is that they are too much like the democratic party.

They lie, spend like they just won the lottery while on crack, favor big government, are two-faced asstard dickweed cow-humping douchebags, and they lie.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: TinySickTears

The funny thing about what you say about conservatives , is the mass shootings and violent acts are usually carried out by liberals. HMMM

ok.
great

i said the gun issue has little to do with it

that is not the only issue in the world. even if a conservative never committed one of these acts i would still keep my distance. for the most part i just dont fall in line with with they are for.

and what exactly did i say about conservatives?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join