It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery of a Dark Matter Galaxy!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
the matter of philosophical elements is really just earlier attempts at categorizing what other things were made of.

I agree, however this is another form of existence, like dark matter is another form of 'stuff', and not a metaphysical imagining. I recall reading about at least its hypothesised existence in Nature.

Crap, I am conflating things actually. Quintessence is the same thing as dark energy. I guess its the fifth with the other four being matter, anti-matter, dark matter, and energy.

I can't seem to find the Nature citation, but here is one source
whatis.techtarget.com...
here is another
www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Quintessence is the same thing as dark energy. I guess its the fifth with the other four being matter, anti-matter, dark matter, and energy.

I can't seem to find the Nature citation, but here is one source
whatis.techtarget.com...
here is another
www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de...

Oh, I see what you're saying. As in, a new alchemical basic element system utilizing types of matter.

Okay, I can dig that. I thought you were referring to the whole Earth, Air, Fire, Water, thing...

In a sense, I suppose it's similar, but still an interesting way to start a new manner of thinking regarding what the universe itself is made of.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I decided to put my speculative thoughts down here so I won't forget. There apparently is a fabric of space-time or what some may call the zero point energy of the universe. We also have something we call dark matter.

Perhaps there is not really a lot of dark matter but a lack of understanding of how the fabric of the universe bends and curves resulting in what we call gravity. Perhaps the stars and dust in a galaxy started rotating at the same speed as the inner stars around the center of galaxies as soon as they were there after pooling after the big bang. If galaxy clusters are also moving at a much faster pace than anticipated perhaps the ether or space-time matrix energy is spinning or moving much more uniformly than our theories account for. Of course that sounds weird to state that the fabric of the universe is spinning or rotating. On the other hand the fabric of the universe seems to be like an old style record turning around on a record player keeping the stars and planets all moving in unison. Maybe someone needs to revise our theory of gravity again. If I confused someone or this sounds totally illogical just ignore me. I was just speculating on the nature of the universe.

This doesn't make total sense to me but what if gravity was an electro-magnetic force and all matter moving through space picks up some of the zero point energy of the ether or fabric of space to continue moving uniformly through the ether around the center of masses? I suppose if I'm making any sense at all that gravity would not be as much of a force as the zero point energy. Well enough of my ramblings since I don't know if I'm even making any sense to myself.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I decided to put my speculative thoughts down here so I won't forget. There apparently is a fabric of space-time or what some may call the zero point energy of the universe. We also have something we call dark matter.

Perhaps there is not really a lot of dark matter but a lack of understanding of how the fabric of the universe bends and curves resulting in what we call gravity...

Yes, I'd say that's also quite a reasonable proposition. Rather than being somethink like a magnet on the other side of a sheet of paper, it could simply be a wrinkle in the paper itself. Yes, I think that's an excellent hypothesis. It would exhibit similar effects, and also provide more explanation towards spacial-disturbances like naturally occuring wormholes.

Originally posted by orionthehunter
This doesn't make total sense to me but what if gravity was an electro-magnetic force and all matter moving through space picks up some of the zero point energy of the ether or fabric of space to continue moving uniformly through the ether around the center of masses? I suppose if I'm making any sense at all that gravity would not be as much of a force as the zero point energy.

Let me see if I follow, because this is an interesting suggestion as well.
Are you saying that gravity might be more like a sheet of energy across the universe, and that the Einsteinian gravity wells are in actuality, balls of this energy, and that the charges are maintained by motion through the universal sheet of energy? That perhaps it's the attraction and repulsion of energy charges that keeps planets, galaxies, and so forth, all evenly spaced?

It's a pity I don't have a doctorate level education, because I'm already curious if this idea has merit. Regardless of the answer, it's a very compelling idea, and would answer some questions about gravity (which no one truly understands yet anyway).

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Yes, I'd say that's also quite a reasonable proposition. Rather than being somethink like a magnet on the other side of a sheet of paper, it could simply be a wrinkle in the paper itself. Yes, I think that's an excellent hypothesis. It would exhibit similar effects, and also provide more explanation towards spacial-disturbances like naturally occuring wormholes.

Well, we currently class space-time as being like a 2D sheet of rubber, masses suspended in it curve the rubber sheet and thus these indentations attract other masses (falling into a gravitational potential well), in this case merely rolling down the incline, this is, incidentally, why light is affected by gravity... it has to follow the bent fabric of space-time. Though, of course, we're actually talking about 4 dimensional space time rather than 2D, but you can see the analogy.

So, essentially, for two orbiting bodies, say, the sun and the earth, think of a rubber sheet with the sun in the middle, making a huge dent in it, now roll the earth round it so that the speed it's travelling is enough to follow in a circular path round the sun, fast enough to curve round at the same distance and not roll into the sun, but not too fast as to roll off out of the dent. Now, the problem we're having is that, in a galaxy, these moving balls round the outside are travelling far too fast to be able to continue circling from the size of the dent that we estimate from all the mass we can see.

So yes, in a way, the problem is that for some reason space-time is far more curved than we expect it to on these large scales, hence we assume there must be something heavy out there bending space-time enough to keep these high speed orbits stable.

Hope that makes sense!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join