It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The business in question prints its menu in English. Therefore that business caters to people that speak English.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

The business in question prints its menu in English. Therefore that business caters to people that speak English.

So? If the business owner doesn't care about it's employees speaking English, then why should you? Goto a business that does.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am not at all opposed to multi-lingual people working anywhere. But at least one of the languages should be English.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I am not at all opposed to multi-lingual people working anywhere. But at least one of the languages should be English.

You don't think it should be up to the business to decide what language they operate in?

I think there's plenty of good arguments that could be made as to why people should either be encouraged to learn English, but I don't see adding a business regulation as a valid reason.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I would talk to the manager and if that didn't go anywhere I would talk to their corporate headquarters. If that didn't work I would post a video like the girl did.

I doubt it would need to go any further than corporate they generally don't like their franchises run by incompetent staff and usually have contracts written where they can revoke their franchising from those who don't follow their contracts.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Miami is notorious for that behavior. We have a 2nd home in west Palm Beach, I see stories like that all the time. People getting fired because they dont speak Spanish, incidents like that (on the video) From what i've seen/experienced it tends to be the Cubans, who dominate that area. I know it varies per state, but that location Cubans. There are number of places in south Florida where you could not get service if you did not speak Spanish, and you would get attitude from the Cubans who refused to serve you.

At the end: What's your name? Luisa...LOL!

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I would talk to the manager and if that didn't go anywhere I would talk to their corporate headquarters. If that didn't work I would post a video like the girl did.

I doubt it would need to go any further than corporate they generally don't like their franchises run by incompetent staff and usually have contracts written where they can revoke their franchising from those who don't follow their contracts.

Ok, so what if it's a small business and not part of a franchise? What if corporate doesn't care? Why do you feel entitled to be served in your language?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Do we bitch about Chinatowns, or the variations, thereof?
Pockets of ethnicity ought not knee-jerk people into legislating more pages of laws. They will always be, just not in the majority.
Grow up and find something REAL to complain about, such as re-instating our Bill Of Rights, or stopping 5G, or sexual abuse by trusted authorities.
Or, god forbid, one could learn a different language...

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

You don't think it should be up to the business to decide what language they operate in?

I think there's plenty of good arguments that could be made as to why people should either be encouraged to learn English, but I don't see adding a business regulation as a valid reason.

This is the USA. We don't have an official language at this time but I see it in the future. Its simply too expensive to do otherwise. Just think about the effect that would have on our schools. As it stands now teachers in many schools have to teach everything at least twice. Once in English and once in Spanish. The problem is the school year isn't twice as long, the teachers don't teach twice as fast, the kids don't learn twice as fast. In the end none of the kids gets more than half an education because there isn't enough time to do it right in multiple languages.

As for businesses, it is borderline (and may be) discrimination to run a business in this country and refuse service to English speaking people for not learning your chosen language of operation. Just as it is most likely discrimination for English speaking businesses to refuse service to non-English speaking customers. I remember quite a ruckus not all that long ago when a few businesses started putting up signs that said "No English - No Service". Liberals and minorities lost their minds over it.

But this is ok???

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Ok, so what if it's a small business and not part of a franchise? What if corporate doesn't care? Why do you feel entitled to be served in your language?

Taco Bell is a franchise.

No need to go into individual cases of small businesses there are plenty of places to leave bad reviews for those.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

But this is ok???

Cater to your customers in whatever manner you see fit. I see no problem with that. I think there's other arguments for doing things in English, but business is not one of those.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Taco Bell is a franchise.

No need to go into individual cases of small businesses there are plenty of places to leave bad reviews for those.

Then do so? Again, why do you feel entitled to the business catering to your preferences?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The government is Constitutionally barred from enforcing an official language. It's part of the 1st Amendment. So it not only is it the case we don't have an official language now, we won't have one in the future.
edit on 18-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The government is Constitutionally barred from enforcing an official language. It's part of the 1st Amendment. So it not only is it the case we don't have an official language now, we won't have one in the future.

There are currently 32 states with English only laws, and there are two bills in congress right now to make English the official language of the US. However, even if a bill were to pass it would not be 100% straight across the board English. There would be exceptions for things like criminal cases. Even if you don't speak English you still have the right to defend yourself in your own words.

I think there are plenty of great reasons to have an official language.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

There is precedent for what I'm speaking about. This happened in 1998:
Arizona's English-only law ruled unconstitutional

The court also said that the 1988 amendment to the state's constitution unlawfully restricted the free-speech rights of public employees and elected officials.

I will give you that this particular law is a bit extreme though:

Arizona's English-only law states that not only is English Arizona's official language, but that all government business must be transacted in "English and in no other language." The requirement also extends to all government documents.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The bottom line is the bottom line. What does it cost to not provide service in English? What does it gain? Multilingualism makes sense in business. Don't want to provide service in the countries dominant language? You're losing sales and as far as I know TB isn't a non-profit.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yes. Effective communication is a must. a reply to: StallionDuck

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

English speak English, french speak french, Germans speak German...and so forth.

You travel to a nation, learn the language, simple. My former partner in crime on Radio is German and I have no interest in travelling there after he told me some German phrases that completely baffled me. 'Die zeit verstappen du heinghast Werner Klemperer stalag 13 du hast misch...' I think there was a Hogan's Heroes joke in there somewhere but i'm not sure.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Wow, that is so unprofessional. One lawsuit coming up ...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi

Why shouldn't it be on you to find a business that caters to what you would prefer? If they don't speak English, and you don't like it, then go somewhere that they do speak English.

That's like telling me you wont accept a dollar. Personally, I'd like to see a 25$ bill made with Trump's face on it so people can 'try' to deny my legal tender.

Basically what I'm saying is:

If I wanted a @#$ @#$% colon blow with sour cream, I'm not going to drive 10 miles up the road to chance that THAT person speaks English.

I don't want a happy meal! I don't want a chicken mc plastic! I wan't a @#$ @#$% colon blow with sour cream!! ...and I want it now! Not 10 miles north.

I would have stayed at that drive through and waited till the police got there. I would have held up the whole line behind me till daylight if I had to until someone brought me a @#$ @#$% colon blow with sour cream!

Then I'd give it back and request a refund. Aint no way in hell I'm going to eat it after all that.... I'm not stupid.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join