It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Over half the states in the U.S. have made English an official language. Although there are no laws stating that English is the official language at the federal level, 31 states have made English the official language.Aug 16, 2017 What Is The Official Language Of The United States | Babbel Magazine www.babbel.com...

Texas is one of those states with no official language. Also I think people need to understand what official language means. Broadly it means the language to be used in all official proceedings and documents. It does not necessarily mean a person is required to speak it and also does not mean a private business is required to hire people who can.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Lightdhype

then also offer more authentic dishes for Chinese folk that they simply ask for

I figured that was how they all operated.

Why lose customers and dollars.

Maybe it was just a front for something else, Chinese mob.

Haha, you jest, but I have always considered the Chinese to have the absolute perfect set up for any kind of trafficking/laundering illicit activities. I mean between nail salons, dirty massage parlors, chinese restaurants, dry cleaning businesses - they really do have a perfect network in just about every city plus town in this country.

**I am aware that I am lumping Asians together here, many nail places are Vietnamese, other places Korean, etc etc but you get my point haha not trying to be racist.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: howtonhawky

He identifies as American, has an American job with an American union, has an American wife and kids. I mentioned Mexican American but by all accounts other than skin colour he's clearly an American.

I agree with you though, I could've been clearer. Seemed easier to word it as I did.

No you were clear enough and i just wanted to make the point that were all americans if we are citizens.
That is a good point to make, and from how I understand it, once families immigrate here even their own nationalities back home consider them to be more American than they are Chinese for example from that point on.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

More truth to that then you may think.
edit on 9/15/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I agree English needs to be official for USA. I've had plenty of people refuse my service because I don't speak fluent Spanish.

It doesn't break my heart, but don't take residence in an English speaking country only to throw tantrums because the people here speak English.

edit on 15-9-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They should speak English, yes. English is our official language. The foundations of our legal system/government is in English. I don't support any sort of law requiring employees to speak a certain language (or not to speak a specific language), or any type of formal regulation on the matter... just my personal opinion that they should speak a country's language when in said nation.

And of course knowledge of foreign languages is never a bad thing. If two people want to speak another language, more power to them. Some are offended by that though, so let the Constitution be your lodestar

edit on 9/15/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Trueman

Seems alright to me?

You certainly seem to have the written English alright... Better than mine, truth to tell, and I'm a native speaker of American-English.

Your kind words means a lot, thank you.

You have to hear my double accent when I speak English

When I speak Spanish people say I'm from Argentina or Italy. When I speak Italian they say I sound Spanish.

That won't stop me

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yes.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
No such thing as American English as an independent language, it's a general dialect of English as a whole, much like the general South African English, Australian English, and Canadian English, just for a couple of examples. There's 160 different English dialects globally, both general and regional -- general American English is just one of them.
edit on 9/15/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I’ve noticed in my city ( Canadian city )...in certain stores there are a larger number of immigrants working, and some are very difficult to understand with their heavy accents ,when trying to speak English. As long as they are not offended if I ask to speak to someone with less of an accent, or who understands my questions in English, and direct me to such an employee, its all good.

I figure many Canadian immigrants now need an employee to answer their questions in their native language... and it’s good to see the multilingual employees be of such benefit.

Many immigrants working 7/11 stores know multiple languages, and that is admirable in my books.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I say yes.

The majority of people speak english.

If you do they'd get more out of what 'Murica has to offer.

You like having a small government though, don't you? Let people speak whatever language they want, if the business needs them to speak English, they'll have a financial incentive to learn.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
English is our official language.

No it's not. The US doesn't have an official language.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

One of my best friends was born, raised, and lived 'til his mid twenties in the Soviet Union. He learned English while attending Oxford from a student from South Carolina...

His accent is almost flawless, until you get him stirred up, which I did as often as possible... Then it's a combination of Moscow elite, and the Deep South... Funny as all get out.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'm an HVAC tech and number of years ago I was on a call at the home of a Mexican family. It turned out that their A/C was really old and needed to be replaced. I spoke with them about it, in English, and gave them the cost of the job. They confirmed it with 2 other companies. I guess my cost was cheaper and they called me back to do the job. It was a little over $3500 for the job. They signed the invoice and I got a $500 deposit, the standard at the time. I did the job and went to collect the balance of the bill, and all of the sudden Me no speak English. I filed a contractor lein on the house and they sued me. I went to court with my paperwork and these clowns showed up with the court interpreter acting like they didn't understand English. I thought I had it clean. The judge in the end said that it didn't matter if they spoke English that I should have explained the bill in Spanish, and found in their favor. My boss took the $3000 out of my check. From that day on I refused to do work for Mexicans. I didn't care who they were. If I arrived at the home and a Mexican answered the door I turned around and walked away. The only tech that I worked with that didn't do the same thing was a Mexican kid with very little experience. It was funny watching him squirm going back on calls day after day. He was spent more time on recalls than anything else. The 4 of us watched as this guy's company went under. We didn't care, as an HVAC tech in southern Arizona jobs are not hard to find. For me it's very simple. The reason people are asked to learn Spanish is because they aren't smart enough to learn English. As far as I'm concerned I think anyone who comes here should be required to learn English within say 2 years or be sent back where they came from. And anyone who claims to not speak English be deported. Frankly I'm tired of my taxes being spent on having to do anything with the government twice, once in English and one in Spanish. No other language's or people's are catered to by our government than those from Spanish speaking countries and I hate it with a passion. If I decide to move to another country, legally or not, you can bet I'll learn the language, so can they.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

English should be the required language in the USA. It should the national language officially as well.

Many states already have local laws requiring English for government operations and business.

Every place in which I have lived, knowing a second language was useful and I make efforts to learn. Most rational people do.

I don't expect any Chinese government person to speak any English when renewing my work VISA or other things I normally do with them. I speak Mandarin Chinese well enough to do most things.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic

English should be the required language in the USA. It should the national language officially as well.

Many states already have local laws requiring English for government operations and business.

Every place in which I have lived, knowing a second language was useful and I make efforts to learn. Most rational people do.

I don't expect any Chinese government person to speak any English when renewing my work VISA or other things I normally do with them. I speak Mandarin Chinese well enough to do most things.

Arizona is one of those states. English was made the official language of this state years ago. I can speak English, German and Japanese. I learned those 2 so I don't have to read the subtitles when I watch WW I I movies. If I can do that for no other reason than that, then by God they can learn English. It was at one time a requirement for you to come to the US you had to show that you could provide a service, and be able to work and pay taxes. Now all these clowns are coming here and taking taxes from the rest of us. We should also take a lesson from other countries and being a citizen is determined by blood not birth. If your parents are then you are. If they're not a citizen then neither are you. We have the reverse already. If you are born in another country but your parents are US citizens then you are as well. These first and second Gen children of illegals are a major part of the problems we face today. Being a citizen means they can vote. With parents in business with drug cartel's it's a safe bet they are too. Now ask yourself how do you think they will use that right?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Those employees are just being disrespectful.

I'm a Spanish speaker. Its my first language. You dont go to anothers country and not make an effort.

When I came to the US my parents enforced learning English.

Same here.

My wife is american and we stopped at a mc d in Hialeah when we were in high school.

I asked her to order me a quarter ponder meal while i went to the rest room
I get back to the line and hear the mcd lady giving my wife a hard time and telling her she doesnt understand english. I told her she is full sh1t since their are no quarter pounders in cuba and she just smiled.

They are just being aholes.

Any immigrant that comes to this country and doesnt learn english they are screwing themselves over.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Others' mileage may vary, but I cannot speak another language. It's not from lack of trying and almost nonstop Spanish lessons in school, either. I just... cannot. Genetics, biological, I really am unsure of the reason. When I was in Japan, I tried like HELL to learn Japanese. I mangled the language so bad, the locals requested I just stop. I got a gold star for effort.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

One of my best friends was born, raised, and lived 'til his mid twenties in the Soviet Union. He learned English while attending Oxford from a student from South Carolina...

His accent is almost flawless, until you get him stirred up, which I did as often as possible... Then it's a combination of Moscow elite, and the Deep South... Funny as all get out.

That make sense to me. You know I don't understand a single word of rap/hip hop lyrics but understand dark country songs well.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join