It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American Employees Speak English?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
People are allowed to enter the country illegally and stay. Why should language be a issue.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's funny because I would do better there since I speak french (Cajun French). lol

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Those employees are just being disrespectful.

I'm a Spanish speaker. Its my first language. You dont go to anothers country and not make an effort.

When I came to the US my parents enforced learning English.

It did look very deliberate. She obviously understood what the customer was saying. The girl even counted on her fingers.... 1 2 3 4 5 6! lol

Hasn't there been an ongoing animosity thing between black and spanish folk? This is my understanding anyways. I honestly wouldn't know personally.

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

This is what make the US great. People can come here and turn it into the same crap hole country they fled from.

link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I really dont care anymore, I"m just glad I dont have to work anymore and pay fat taxes to the government that has tacitly promoted this with the open borders policy. Sadly however I do have to pay property taxes to fund what amounts to a Mexican school district, which by the way is failing on all measures. This country, as a sovereign nation state is a fast failing experiment.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I thought speaking american was part of the naturalization process.

It is.

If you do not speak american then you likely are not legal or the legalization process is failing in many ways.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
No neccesariio.....yo habla mucho Espanol en Texas.....

Comprende Todo en las trabaho....

le major en otro companas....no se !!

Yo solamente balio...blanckito....hehehehe

Either spanish isn't your first language or Google Translate really sucks! lol

No neccesariio ..... I speak a lot Spanish in Texas .....

Understand Everything in the work ....

I'm better in another company ... I do not know !!

I only balio ... blanckito .... hehehehe

Reminds me of some of the comedies I've seen where the person is attempting to greet another but asks them to eat her underwear. lol

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

I can't wait to get one of those bugs from Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy in my ear that translates any language into the language you speak..... Or the technological equivalate.

I think they have something similar on phones now and little devices. I 'think' I've seen them on amazon even, or somewhere. I can't quite remember.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Whenever I've visited foreign countries I have always tried to learn some basic words and phrases.....usually related to ordering beer and food.

You mean like:

Dos cervesa por favor. I've got that one down. It's important.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

It is.

If you do not speak american then you likely are not legal or the legalization process is failing in many ways.

Sometimes naturalized citizens will only speak their native tongue in their household. As such their legal citizen children will be fluent in a foreign language, but not so much in English.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

With a corporate chain I think it is very necessary. If someone is unfamiliar with an area they find, for the most part, commonality in these establishments. I know there are plenty places of a different cultural significance in America that people frequent for that purpose and maybe if they want to feel inundated by that culture they should probably make the necessary adjustment to help contribute to the experience. Corporations are built on the principles of consistency.
edit on 9/15/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/15/2018
edit on 9/15/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I started teaching myself Pashto for the region of Afghanistan I was deployed to. I started learning conversational Korean when I was heading that way.

I learned English because my parents made sure of it.

This level of disrespectful behavior is something I see a lot of Mexicans do. Thats not just me being an A-hole either. Mexicans don't have any incentive to assimilate and often let you know that by being disrespectful like this.
edit on 15 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

American is a language now?
When did that happen?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

It is.

Sometimes naturalized citizens will only speak their native tongue in their household. As such their legal citizen children will be fluent in a foreign language, but not so much in English.

In some cases they can only speak their native languages. Old dogs and all. Over the years I've tried to learn French and Spanish(easier than French) but can only get a bit.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

When did that happen?

When they dropped the "u's". No sense of humour.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

It is.

No doubt and they generally do not get hired for jobs that require you to speak american.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

When did that happen?

A couple weeks ago.

American English. American for short. Somehow i feel as though you knew exactly what i was referring too.

Objections?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: watchandwait410

I can't wait to get one of those bugs from Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy in my ear that translates any language into the language you speak..... Or the technological equivalate.

I think they have something similar on phones now and little devices. I 'think' I've seen them on amazon even, or somewhere. I can't quite remember.

Yea but with todays tech you have to speak into the device. I want something that translates everything around me with such perfect flow that it would blow my mind.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was told to leave a Chinese restaurant once because I wasn't Chinese. Their menu had no English on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join