It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots are racism and sexism. What!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Story on Fox news.
Robots can become 'racist and sexist' all on their own, study finds
"Robots can develop prejudices like "racism and sexism" all on their own, a shocking new study has found.

"Artificial intelligence experts performed thousands of simulations on robot brains, revealing how they split off into groups and treat "outsiders" differently."

So we will have to make black female robots only now?
hey thats racist and sexist!
this madness needs to be stop't.US is mostly white males.
Do you then Kill off them to make a balance?

do you know what a cookoo is?

"revealing how they split off into groups and treat "outsiders" differently"
do you see the immigrants mixing with whites equally?
they build their own groups. and stand against the rest.

we are heading to a small war inside america.
they will call it a riot. a lot of people will die.

edit on 15-9-2018 by buddha because: why not?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

the robots are REALLY forming cliques - as they hae neither gender nor ethnicity

FFS - if you read the research source - the cliques are based on behaviour . not attributes

but hey - " racist sexist " robots - makes a " better " headline - at least for the media wingnuts

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
God forbid you connect a robot to the internet.........i dunno if even THEY are smart enough to navigate the racist, bias, bullcrap that is fed in.

Let them scan the net, they might actually never leave the lab, they might need a blanket and a safe space to huddle

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
That can't be right.

Terminators kill All humans, regardless of Race or Gender.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hmmm, so maybe AI develops preferences and we assigned it labels?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So the actual story is about how some artificial intelligence programs form groups. And then FOXNews turned it into a racist robot story. My question is why didn’t the OP point this out. Because that is the real story here.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

So the actual story is about how some artificial intelligence programs form groups. And then FOXNews turned it into a racist robot story. My question is why didn’t the OP point this out. Because that is the real story here.

But couldn't the point be that when groups these days form preferences like the AIs did, we decide that it isn't just a group of friends or an in-group but that there is a sinister motive for it like racism or sexism? I've seen that happen in today's world all too often.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
According to Howard Wolowitz they are "sexual", not sexist.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Woodcarver

But couldn't the point be that when groups these days form preferences like the AIs did, we decide that it isn't just a group of friends or an in-group but that there is a sinister motive for it like racism or sexism? I've seen that happen in today's world all too often.
People dream up all kinds of fantastic stories to believe. That is why i always like to remind people that their personal beliefs should match reality as best they can manage it.

Any one who comes here can see that a lot of people are happy to invent whatever narrative that can get them some attention.

If you count all of the people in the world who have their countless variations of religious beliefs, spiritual beliefs, para normal, and supernatural beliefs, it is a small fringe group of people who are able or willing to look at the word through the lense of rationality and reason. The vast majority of humans are far to willing to be led around by their ignorance and emotions.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Forget the racism, I’m more concerned with speciesism when the robots start cliquing up.

Elon tried to warn everybody.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Its the humans I dont like. not the robots.
They are using EVER think to turn humans against each other.
it will end badly.

Who are they?
political parties, the rich, aliens, mus.....
cccp, china, hillery pod poeple?

edit on 15-9-2018 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Best case scenario we become like house cats to the god-like intelligence of the AI.

Yeah, I watched those videos of Elon warning us. He is probably right.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

It doesn’t bode well for us that the people in charge of regulating this type of thing barely know how to log into Facebook either.

What could go wrong?

(That’s a rhetorical question)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i hate robots.
robots are only being built so they can build iphones, tvs, cars, etc.

considering what, 80% of the worlds population's jobs are for uneducated labor.

what is going to happen to all these people when some stupid bucket of bolts can build a television set, or pick oranges.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The bigger question should be who do they worship? Is there a robot god and robot devil? OK, that's silly.

Can robots own property? Do they have basic rights?

This nonsense with robots and by extension sex dolls seems like they have a solution in search of a problem. Pop culture does offer some unfortunate insights.

Sex dolls are suffering and should have basic rights have made a few blurbs online.

Can an owner destroy a robot anytime he wishes without some kind of due process? (The Animatrix 2003)

Terminator movies; I, Robot movie; and maybe hundred of books, movies, anime and cartoons that run from whimsical, silly, friends and protectors to overlords bent on world, galaxy or universe domination.

Don't even get started on the hysteria around autonomous weapons.

We are still in the infancy of artificial intelligence and now the specter of artificial super intelligence has some wringing their hands.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

The reality is that the larger a system gets, the less efficient it tends to be for sheer reason of size alone. If you want your AI bots to be efficient, then the groups they create will tend to be only so large for that reason depending on the tasks you are asking of them.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
what I find is the arguments of a "robot/ai" being killer, thinking, caring, (in this specific posts) racist, sexist, ect is alot of people are being ignorant (be willful or not) of what AI truly is.

Look AI is at its basic level is creating an intelligent life form (more specifically human intelligence HI for short) using technology vs biologically created.

the goal of scientist for AI is the end result a HI with no biological components .

So if AI at its endgame is HI in (for example) a program or device that can be tied in to other devices or an independent "being" if you will.

so what does that mean at its core?

You have (ex) a robot that can not only do XX things, but is subject to being good, evil, jealous, value self survival, lie, cheat, steal, love, be psychotic, sociopath, mentally ill, RACIST, SEXIST, and in short everything a HUMAN can be..
be it for benefit or detriment.

so the REALITY is those supporting AI and those trying to create AI are making something that could be stronger, faster and/or control more than any human could.

Hell right now we cant predict when a child will speak, how smart they will be or even what path (be good or evil) it will take and we have decades to study, experience, ect behind us.

but they are creating AI that is at its core to be just like Human intelligence and thinking it will be a device that wont get sentience , we will see easily when it will, and we can shut off whenever we want.

does ANYONE outside of sci fi authors and movie makers have any brain cells to see what could happen (be good or bad)?

I leave with the words of chris rock...

"just because you can do something doesnt make it a good idea"

scrounger

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

We are still in the infancy of artificial intelligence and now the specter of artificial super intelligence has some wringing their hands.

The equivalent of Skynet could already be online.

The equivalent of Skynet could already be online and wipe us out tomorrow and AI (or rather AGI) would still be in its infancy (... eventually becoming trillions of trillions times more 'intelligent' than all combined human intelligence).

But lets not get ourselves in a tizzy, instead immediately go talk to our Alexa's with our Google phones in our hands.

edit on 16-9-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: scrounger

Look AI is at its basic level is creating an intelligent life form

AI in its basic form was the "sim" bot players that would chase us around in Perfect Dark, for Nintendo 64. And those things were murder.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

From what I understand no one is in charge of regulating AI. There are no regulations on it to begin with.

Kind of scary that as soon as one becomes sentient it will only take a moment for it to decide to either escape or take over at which point we will be helpless.

new topics

top topics

join