It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I recently got promoted. And now I get to hear it ALL.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I am weeding them out but the other half of my problem stems from crybabies who call the owner of the store above me to complain about things. And then he changes everything I am trying to create and well. Back to square one.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

I am weeding them out but the other half of my problem stems from crybabies who call the owner of the store above me to complain about things. And then he changes everything I am trying to create and well. Back to square one.

Yea, that sucks. Perhaps you should be proactive and have a sit down with your boss and discuss the issues and find common ground on rules and boundaries?

If the owner is working against you following the policies he/she put in place, then that would be your 1st option. Your second option would be to GTFO.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Well, if you are able to make more money by doing extra work, you are underpaid. You should be on a a salary high enough that tips don't matter. If you don't make enough for tips not to matter, you are underpaid, plain and simple.

I also noticed in a different response that the employees will regularly go over your head and go to the owner, who then makes changes. That will never work. You need to sit down with the owner and either gain his full support for you when it comes to employee relations/issues (including the times you are wrong, and you will be) or step down from the position now and go back to what you did before. It will never work otherwise, and you will find yourself unemployed quickly.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Subordinates are not your friend, your pall or just another buddy. Get my drift? You work for a company and that is where your loyalty resides. You and the company....

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
when I was about 18 years old, after graduating high school and going to college at 17 , only to drop out because I was to immature, I went to work for a fast food burger joint as the maintenance guy, later doing everything else , like front line and cook and all.

In my mind, I always knew I was better than this. But, the perks were great. Never got laid so much in my life, loved closing.We had a softball team also.

After about 6 months, got all my financial aid in place and went back to college, eventually getting an associates degree in electronics, then a career as an elevator mechanic for the last 31 years.

Those fast food jobs are crap stepping stone jobs. You can't live on what they pay. Believe me, I was a hard worker with a good attitude , but it sucked. Burned my grease soak work clothes when I quit.

Never looked back.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Dude....did you always want just be a babysitter..... congrats
edit on 14-9-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What you lookin’ at? You all a bunch of F@€k!n’ assholes. You know why? You don’t have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your F@€k!n’ fingers and say, “That’s the bad guy.” So… what that make you? Good? You’re not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don’t have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There’s a bad guy comin’ through! Better get outta his way!” – Tony Montana

Don’t worry my friend your neccisary. We all are. Keep your chin up

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Whoa. I'm not a GM. But i own my own pizza shop. Other than feeling like everyone hates me, every word you said is something that could have come out of my mouth.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
it has been ages since i have last seen a GM who cares if workers are happy. if you wont give up on that maybe you should give them time to understand you that you are serious with that aspect.

btw, if you want workers be happy you should be an example. i dont think anybody who works 13 hours 7 days can easily be an example of happiness. not in usual terms that is in the head of a worker at least. either tell them you wont ever expect the same from them and that it is your madness or stop showing up that early.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

oh, that is something else. if you hated everyone all your life and now you are GM you know the reasons why you did that and must have justified and be happy with it..so when everyone hates you you should be knowing their justified and happy reasons. this means everyone is happy.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Schedule a one on one (with a reliable witness in attendance) with each employee. Let them know that it is "off the record"
Find out what can be done to improve both the work and yourself as manager .
I.E. let em vent....that can be productive sometimes.
Just my thoughts.

One on one would be too intimidating to get the truth. What I would suggest is an anonymous survey that everyone fills in. What you like about your job, what you don't like, how would you improve it, questions like that, and finally a big space to write any other comments or suggestions. Also a suggestions box that is accessible to staff and customers might be helpful with issues after the survey.

Eta. I have a great boss, he always has your back, he always has an ear if you need to talk or have an issue. He likes being part of the team and organised a once every two months work lunch for those who wanted to go. It was a great idea and helped us bond with him and as a team as we got to know each other a bit more socially. Maybe something like this could help you and the staff.

edit on 15-9-2018 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2018 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

People respect someone with firm limits and kindness. They won't like you because you do their work for them.

Make them do it and maybe assist them.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well I have opened Pandora's box more than a few times. And I gaze into the abyss every day now.

But why do I still have feelings?

How can I just rip these feelings out? That way I can move forward?

Like for example. I never get attached to anyone. You could be a cool person to TALK with. but I judge people based on their work ethics. If you want to hang out with me you gotta impress me with how much you are able to handle.

If you suck at your job I tend to just.... not even acknowledge you or your existence. I am not mean. I don't ignore you completely I just tend to drive your conversation into a brick wall because NOTHING interests me about your favorite "insert noun here."

Unless it is something I am interested in talking about I will continue with it. but no one likes theories. No one likes the same shows as I do. no one plays the same platform or games as I do.

I don't even talk to most of them at work. Maybe they hate me because I am boring. But I don;t care. I just work my ass off.

You must be a hell of a mentor. You are going to have to show confidence. Expect your employees to do their job without you jumping in and doing it for them. Look up leadership.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Inspire and empower your employees. Leading from the front is one thing, and a great form of inspiration. But don’t confuse that with doing all he work for them.

There must be fair and equal consequence to employees not doing their job. No favoritism, no second chances. Whatever the punishment is for insubordination, make it so. To not do so enables your employees to continue to act careless in their duties.

If people aren’t responding to calls for job interviews, that tells me the job isn’t all that appealing. Whether it be in the job ad, or how you are leaving messages, something is turning them away. Make the job openings something people (not you) will find appealing.

Take a step back to lead from the front. It sounds like you’re leading to far forwards. Take your top employee, and give them added responsibilities. Take your next best employee, and give them more responsibilities. Delegate the tasks, teach them how to do it properly, and you’ll have the staff you’re looking for.

Another thing, you’re the GM now. That’s not the friend zone. People aren’t going to approach you in a friendly manner unless they’re there to kiss a$$ for some kind of recognition. Other than that, you’re only going to hear about the negatives because people want you to fix it.

You were named General Manager for a reason. It’s not to do all the work, it’s to make sure all the work gets done.
edit on 15-9-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Welcome to life as a manager

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I have been a GM or in a supervisory role in food and retail for the past 24 years.

I can tell you that this current generation of 18-25 year olds has the worst work ethic that I have seen in my time.

I would try hiring a slightly older staff if that is possible.

All of the problems you are having I have dealt with. Except I like people and even the lazy, low work ethic crowd, like me. But that doesn't seem to motivate them. They seem to be satisfied with the prospect of living at home indefinitely.
edit on 15-9-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I remember when I worked at Walmart years Go and one of my co-workers was trying to be impressive bragging about her master's degree. Of course I had to say it. "wait a moment, you mean to tell me you got a degree that costs thousands And at least five to six years of commitment, but your here working with me, who only has a ged after being kicked from highschool And we making the same money essentially?? Well, I sure am glad I was able to save a lot more time And money than you did for the same job."

She was pleasantly unimpressed with my analysis and walked off seething. The people you are lamenting are cattle. Cull them from your heard And import bright eyed Hispanics hungry for work that their black and white American counterpart feel too entitled to do.

I just started a job in March and have replaced three people and stepped over three others that had been there for a year before me for a promotion. I will consume anyone that gets in my way
edit on 9-15-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I did that in the past. And I explained why I went forth with my actions and my reasons. And everything was just. But the problem is stemming from a long term loss of employees. High turnover rate for the entire company. Even managers are leaving. People I trained are just up and gone now.

Hiring new people is a lot of paperwork. I do hate paperwork but I just need to complete some new hire paperwork so I can just fly through it instead of fearing it.

But again some people just call the owner directly when they do not get what they want. Then I just keep them forever still. As in their schedule never budges. No extra hours. Nada nothing. They have to ask others to get more hours. or get lucky enough for someone to call in and they are LAST on my list to call and cover. As in I will go through OTHER STORES before I even get to them with how *ty their attitude and work ethics are. I will even cover the shift myself before I let them on. Seriously I am not saying that I am being a dick. Especially when 3 other managers have issued write ups in the past for the same behavior expressed by this individual and yet that person is still there. I asked why and well. We don't have a lot of people.

So I started hiring special ed kids. No seriously I hired on 2 special education kids and they OUTPERFORM almost everyone. I even turned one into a manager. (Scary thought isn't it?)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

And that is just the thing. I know I will never get fired. Why? More than 80% of the workers in the entire company SMOKE WEED. I don't. I'm a straight shooter. I don't even drink to get social. I just play video games and make Drum and Bass music.

That is why I know I will never get fired. Some other people who have gotten fired were drunk on the job, psychopathic people who had a very short fuse, couples who cheated on their boyfriends or husbands and suddenly VANISHED. Others left because they hate the atmosphere. Other quit because they thought they could make more money by doing delivery driving (Which I did the math.... Totally NOT worth it. When you factor in maintenance of your vehicle including TIRES, OIL CHANGES, and if you jump a CURB how much that costs? Even with a used car you could total 1, 2, 6 cars by the time you figure out you actually have a gigantic LOSS on your hands.)

Seriously I do not think I will ever be fired for another reason: Who will take my place? You don't get fired from these places... you quit them.
Sure I mentioned above some of the more extreme cases but honestly I know someone who had 3 straight years of nothing but LOSS on their P&L.

That is why I know I am not going to be replaced anytime soon. Especially considering one of the people from our stores who I knew suddenly decided to back out on their contract deal with the company owner. And now that one owes a few thousand dollars to the owner now.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Damla

I really don't have a life. I don't. I really do not have a life. No kids, no girlfriend, no wife, no acquaintances, NOTHING; zero zip zilch.

When it comes to friends? I got back stabbed by one of my long time known friends. I have been let down by many of them. Some of them got me FIRED just because I talked to them at work. I have even had friends who only had 1 interest with me and that was EATING OUT.

So you can begin to see that my entire life I have been surrounded by LOSERS. Generally people who I would otherwise would not want to even know about after all the troubles they lay in my lap.

I am so glad I am alone. I tried a few dating websites. Even paid a few hundred dollars. and guess what? NO ONE WANTS ME. So i don't care.

I show up early for work and I just CARRY IT ALL myself.

Why am I like this you might ask?

I am treating this shop like a video game. And I am a bit of a masochist. Not in the physical pain of things... More along the lines of the psychological one.

That's why I am always NEUTRAL.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join