It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If youre not mexican you cant wear mexican sweaters. remember that

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
everyone must be offended these days.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

When Michael Kors debuted his ready-to-wear collection for spring and summer 2019 at New York Fashion Week on Wednesday, some people recognized two very familiar articles of clothing that didn’t seem to belong

The designer included a black-and-gray hooded jacket and a sleeveless black, green, red and white version ― a design known in Mexican and U.S. Latinx culture as a jerga.

“So, this is a serious issue, which involves not just the outright theft of the items themselves, including by ‘buying’ these items at cheap prices, but also the theft of the knowledge bases of their origin,” Urrieta continued. “It is also a violation of the relational ways in which material culture is produced, and the purpose of the use of these items in communities.”

i really dont get it

cant clothes just be clothes? dont all clothes come from somewhere else?

whats that big ass deal that mexicans have been making them and wearing them for who knows how long?

i just can not wrap my head around this stuff.

en.wikipedia.org...

Research on the trade of jean fabric shows that it emerged in the cities of Genoa, Italy, and Nîmes, France. Gênes, the French word for Genoa, may be the origin of the word "jeans".
In Nîmes, weavers tried to reproduce jean fabric but instead developed a similar twill fabric that became known as denim, from de Nîmes, meaning "from Nîmes".
Genoa’s jean fabric was a fustian textile of "medium quality and of reasonable cost", very similar to cotton corduroy for which Genoa was famous, and was "used for work clothes in general".
The Genoese navy equipped its sailors with jeans, as they needed a fabric which could be worn wet or dry

everything comes from somewhere.

bet all those mexican people wearing their traditional sweater pair it with some jeans every now and again.
appropriating bastards

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Better not see anyone ever wearing denim jeans, they were created by and for American cowboys!

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Um...

Where the hell am I going to find a Cherokee/Hopi/Irish sweater?

ETA... the coloring and style appears to be a Pendelton knockoff... which is made in Oregon and established by a British weaver.

Cultural appropriation indeed.
edit on 14-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

bet all those mexican people wearing their traditional sweater pair it with some jeans every now and again. appropriating bastards

Probably the same type that also fly the mexican flag above the US flag in the US.

Probably the same reason you hear so much about illegal hispanic immigration in comparison to others. Sense of entitlement and all.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Better not see anyone ever wearing denim jeans, they were created by and for American cowboys!

no sir.
they appropriated it from the french apparently.

cowboys are/were so insensative

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Cultural appropriation is one of the most regressive complaints I've encountered.

We should want to share and explore each other's culture.
edit on 14 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You also can't drink Corona or eat tacos. Also, we own pinatas.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Um...

Where the hell am I going to find a Cherokee/Hopi/Irish sweater?

Walmart, in the authentic made in china section

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

no sir.

In order to show my shame and apology, I will go naked from the waist down from now on.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I...whut?

I just spent a good 5 minutes reading and re reading this, and either my brain has stopped working, or it's so stupid (the article, not your post), that my brain just went on strike rather than try to decipher it.

I think I have reached the point of the world makes so little sense, I cannot accept it any more.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

no sir.

In order to show my shame and apology, I will go naked from the waist down from now on.

Ok, now we know DB is lying. His neighbors will confirm this.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Vienna called. They want you to stop appropriating their sausages.

*screams with laughter and runs off*

link   
can you imagine of someone had though up cultural appropriation in the 80's?

i am not sure if anyone on now is old enough or even remembers but i can remember walking around pinellas mall in st pete florida with my dad in around 87-88.
every damn store in that mall had dashiki's for sale. all the white peeps were wearing those damn things.

i remember a store called shalimar. sold perfume. knives. fanny packs and dashikis.

i dont remember anyone crying about that

its just the thing to do these days

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So, I have one of those Hooded pullovers actually from Mexico, that my stepdad got when he went there, like twenty years ago. Am I going to be in danger wearing it?
And Hubby has one, that we actually ordered from LW a few years ago. Why didn't they raise a stink over that catalog that had it in it?

Just plain stupid.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I'm led to believe that they were 'invented' by a gold miner? The story goes he was frustrated with traditional pants not lasting due to working in the mines, so made a pair out of the denim canvas used for tents. He even used copper rivets to hold them together, and apparently was laughed at when he wore them into a bar.

I think it was Levi Strauss, from Levi jeans fame, but can't remember...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Cultural appropriation is one of the most regressive complaints I've encountered.

We should want to share and explore each other's culture.

for sure. i am with you on that.
i dont see how it can bad thing.

everything comes from somewhere.

i think i need a rule book on what is allowed and what is not.

not like it matters. i wear what i wear man and im telling you now if anyone ever tried to clown me for some appropriation # i will promptly tell them to get #ed.

100% on that

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

no sir.

I hope you don't live in a cold climate, if you know what I mean...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Rewey

i posted a link about jeans and where they and the fabric came from

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

no sir.

Just to let me finish my mental image, are your pumps appropriated too?

Because that would just ruin it for me.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
So, I have one of those Hooded pullovers actually from Mexico, that my stepdad got when he went there, like twenty years ago. Am I going to be in danger wearing it?
And Hubby has one, that we actually ordered from LW a few years ago. Why didn't they raise a stink over that catalog that had it in it?

Just plain stupid.

poncho?
serape?

you mean the things that every head shop in every state sells?

www.lyricsfreak.com...

She stripped away Her ranchid poncho
An laid out naked by the door
We did it till we were un-concho
An it was useless any more

(is that a real poncho...
I mean Is that a mexican poncho
Or is that a sears poncho?
Hmmm... No foolin...)

circa 1973

new topics

top topics