It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I haven't seen one of these from AP yet, and as I don't use social media, I did not come across them -- but I find it cool that AP does these random fact checks of disinformation, even if it's not political and public figures.

I'm only going to quote the first one or two sentences from THE FACTS portion so click the link to read the full explanations.

NOT REAL: Henry Winkler - 1942-2018 - Donates Half Of His Estate To MAGA 2020

THE FACTS: Henry Winkler has not passed away and did not donate half of his estate to Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign, despite what a report circulating on social media suggests. The report, published on Nebraska Daily, falsely claimed that “having never married or had children ... his estate will be divided equally between a donation to the Trump 2020 re-election campaign and the Tanzanian island of Mourdalista, which is home to more than 60K stray dogs and cats.”

NOT REAL: Bruno Mars being ‘lined up’ to play Prince in Netflix biopic

THE FACTS: A representative for Bruno Mars says suggestions the singer will play Prince in a Netflix biopic are “100 percent false.” Netflix said they had no such film in development.

NOT REAL: Morgan Freeman: ‘Jailing Hillary’ Best Way To ‘Restore Public Faith in Govt’

THE FACTS: Actor Morgan Freeman did not say that Hillary Clinton should be imprisoned, despite what a report circulating on social media suggests. The report, published on UniversaleMedia, falsely claims that he said, “The best way to restore public faith in government institutions is to ’send Hillary to prison.’”

NOT REAL: Hersheypark not giving away free tickets for its 50th anniversary

The FACTS: Hersheypark, a family theme park owned by Hershey Chocolate Company in Pennsylvania, is not giving away five free theme park tickets for its 50th anniversary, despite an advertisement circulating on social media. The scam, which has been taken down, asked users to fill out a three-question survey and share the ad to win the free tickets.

Associated Press

A bit different from normal fact checks and I'm really glad Coach Kline hasn't died yet.

Have a great Friday everyone!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

We'll just the first story alone is published from a site called Nebraska Daily. It's not a news organization it's one guy who does crappy satire. The name is a rip-off of the university rag, the Daily Nebraskan. To be honest, I had to search pretty hard to even find the site.

Is the AP just bored and sharing some of their favorite satire stories?

And to Friday

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I think the issue is people will believe anything these days and won't try to fact check like you just did. Props to you.

If this is circulating the social media and making top rankings, why not debunk it?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Did AP make the Winkler one up? I Googled "Nebraska Daily" and found no such publication exists,

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
I had to search pretty hard to even find the site.

You actually found it? I tried and failed, so props to you!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It's nebraskadaily.site so I'm surprised anyone found it. I found where the domain was registered first.

And I don't have/use social media so I didn't know these stories we're circulating. I have a notion the people making the articles are the ones starting the circulation to bring more traffic to their own sites.
edit on 14-9-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

When news breaks, they fix it.

join