It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who deserves to get rescued?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Who needed to be rescued and why?

Early this morning they were rescuing entire shelters.

From what i gather the numbers seem to be low as far as rescues go.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thank you for your support and opinion.

I'm currently packed and on standby in Michigan waiting, guessing deployed to the outer rain/wind peremiters after storm moves or stalls at 100 mls inland.

Everyone? Please be prepared and offer to volunteer in your own communities.

As an ICS (Incident Commander)..I delegate duties.We can use everyone, always....even older folks. Even just to answer phones, pass out supplies etc...every assignment you can think of.

Please contact your local Fire Dept. or Emergency Mgmt office where you live.

Thank you in advance....

MS, ICS/EMT
ADLS, Region 2, South
www.ready.gov
edit on 14-9-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Add

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: TheRedneck

So as discussions go, people who agree with you are correct and other not.

You just can't think that way. Some get it...others don't believe it....until they are trapped....

But, we can't stop trying to get thru to those in denial...we'll never stop trying...and non of my team will ever NOT try to get the point across..

Hey, thank you! Best, MS

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Thank you! and welcome back to the land of the (reasonably) lucid!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: angeldoll

Yeah, and?

If you cannot evacuate yourself, we have these things called telephones. I also hear tell of this newfangled thing called the internet ... These things allow us to communicate our situations to the wider world around us.

If these people can call for the first responders to come and rescue them now, what on earth prevented them from calling and communicating that they were unable to evacuate themselves before they were trapped in the flood?

I don't want anyone to die, not the people in trouble but not the first responders either, and if you had the means to go, then at what point should we put some responsibility on your shoulders to do it before you're drowning?

Those phones and internet are the WORST THINGS to depend on.

Infrastructure isn't built to support massive influxes of ER comm's...people will die.

To add...we cannot stop helping others to save those who did not listen to get out.

www.ready.gov
edit on 14-9-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

When did people start losing their sense of humanity?

A long time ago.

But in the case of this hurricane, the governement and first responder agencies gave plenty of warning and mandatory evacuations. They also said "if you don't leave, we won't put our lives in jeopardy during the hurricane, you may have to wait till the wind subsides", and they provided rides, shelters, and numerous plans for people. They went to a lot of trouble for the folks who stayed. And as usual, the minute the storm started hitting, people were calling for help - therefore the first responders had to put their lives in danger to save these people who should have listened.

I have to agree any more that unless these people got into an emergency by no fault of their own (in previous hurricanes the shelters people went to ended up flooding), then they should not expect a rescue until after the worst of the storm is over. Just get the children and pets out and leave the adults to wait it out. Perhaps during this down time they can decide what they will do for the next mandatory evacuation.

I don't think first responders should put their lives and family at stake just for stupid people who refused to follow safety advisories.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Who needed to be rescued and why?

Early this morning they were rescuing entire shelters.

From what i gather the numbers seem to be low as far as rescues go.

And again, those people are in trouble through no fault of their own now. They did what they were asked to do.

Who should be higher up on the list? The people in the shelter who tried to take themselves out of harm's way or the idiots who were warned to go on the barrier island who thought they'd ride it out and then decided to throw a storm party while they were at it and now have themselves and a dozen others in trouble?

Again, during Hurricane Katrina, people got stranded in the dome, but they were there because they were told to go there. I never blamed them for that part. They needed help.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: howtonhawky

www.usatoday.com...

Seems to be expected.

That place got the worst of it cause of the two rivers meeting there.

After reading the article it seems many stay also for animals.

Remembering back to my own decision making in the past the condition of the roads leading out was the biggest factor. However for some reason i found that the national guard had closed a major road before the storm so i went around the road blocks. I still have not figured out why they shut down the road.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rescuing innocent people is the compassionate thing to do. We are America.

Unless they are illegal immigrants right.....

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Bit early for blame unless you are operating with all the facts in each case.

Do you also blame the peeps in puerto rico for not leaving?

Look at harvey in houston and you will see that no one predicted that level of rise due to man made dams just like the two rivers being the worst spot this time.

it is all par for the coarse and you thinkin that the people that stayed did not advert serious danger further up the road is being a bit short sided unless you are a mandella effect time shifting traveler.

Best to just take it as it comes weather you are a civilian or a responder. Let those spidey senses kick in and do what is best for your particular situation.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rescuing innocent people is the compassionate thing to do. We are America.

Unless they are illegal immigrants right.....

omgness

that deserves a

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

If they had the means to go and they chose not, then yeah.

Look, I think people don't get what I'm saying.

There is a way to prep for disaster. If you can see it coming and you are warned to either get out of its way or prepare to shelter in place, then your responsible role is to do that.

If you are capable of taking that action - either getting out of the way or prepping to shelter in place - and you *choose* to not heed the warnings for whatever reason, then you should assume the consequences of those actions.

However, there are people who are not capable of taking those actions. I recognize that. When disaster strikes, the first responders should be most concerned with those people, not the ones above who *chose* not to make their preparations and who assumed the risks of their own free will. It's not that they shouldn't be rescued, but maybe they shouldn't be priority either.

I guess when you drive out along I-70 as you take off toward Colorado you start to see barricades at the entry and exit ramps. When the winter weather is expected to get savage, they close the roads more or less telling everyone to shelter in place because it will be too dangerous to try to drive.

In my mind, people who don't evacuate when something like this is coming their way are like people who either refuse to get off the road or who drive around those barricades and try to make it anyhow. Is it fair to send a deputy out to retrieve them in the middle of a blizzard?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Is it fair to send a deputy out to retrieve them in the middle of a blizzard?

Pay me and i will go get em.If i have the resources i would go anyway to get em.

I like the rush of having a mission and things get boring without hard headed people.

You want something to focus your energy on and i can remember back when katrina hit there were several people from the hood that stayed to loot. There were also some that stayed cause they have always been taken care of by the government and they had the mentality to say it is the job of the government to save them since their ancestors were slaves here. That did not work out well for them and we have gotton much better as a society since then.

It is not that many do not get your point but most have accepted that no matter the reasons a certain number of peeps will stay behind and rescuers take people based on things other than a persons intent or who deserves it.

Most of us are thanking higher powers that the storm winds decreased before land fall.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

If that is what you got out of what I posted, there is a serious need of remedial communication courses on one of our parts.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Hey friend...little off topic, really happy to see youre better than last week!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Oh, and I'm not limiting this to natural disasters, we are talking about everything, like Opioid abuse too.
Should we rescue people, when everyone knows darn well what those can do now.

People still need to care about others, even the contenders for the Darwin awards sweepstakes.

It could end up being the one thing that grants you some mercy after your life on Earth is done.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The way I see it as a native Floridian is that there's no time to nit pick who deserves to be rescued when being out there rescuing people. Each an every one has their own reasons and if rescue is offered after the fact, then it comes down to being lucky to be given help in situations such as what is happening now in Myrtle Beach.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   
everybody.if they realize they worth it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join