It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley spent over $52K in State Department money on curtains

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Another shining example of fiscal conservatism in action folks.

Nikki Haley spent $52,700 in State Department money on “customized and mechanized” curtains for her luxury apartment across from the United Nations on the East Side of Manhattan, a report said Thursday.

The curtains were purchased to adorn the UN ambassador’s 6,000 square-foot full-floor penthouse atop an apartment building on First Avenue, according to The New York Times.

New York Post

Don't worry folks! Nikki and company have already blamed Obama, just to save your breath.

A spokesperson for Haley said plans to buy the curtains were made during the Obama administration.

What's funny is that Ben Carson used this same excuse for their $32K dining room set, before moving on to blaming his wife and then later cancelling the order when the heat got too high.

Hey! hey look! What is $52K? A drop in the bucket right?

Right.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wow, spending that on curtains when there were cut backs and hiring freezes:

While Ms. Haley’s curtains were being ordered and installed, Rex W. Tillerson, the administration’s first secretary of state, had frozen hiring, pushed out many of the department’s most senior diplomats and proposed cutting the department’s budget by 31 percent. In embassies around the world, projects were eliminated, jobs were left unfilled and the delegation to last year’s United Nations General Assembly meeting was slashed.

This part really gets me:

“How can you, on the one hand, tell diplomats that basic needs cannot be met and, on the other hand, spend more than $50,000 on a customized curtain system for the ambassador to the U.N.?” asked Brett Bruen, a White House official in the Obama administration.

But Mr. Kennedy defended the purchase, saying that it would probably be used for years and that it was needed for both security and entertaining purposes.

“All she’s got is a part-time maid, and the ability to open and close the curtains quickly is important,” Mr. Kennedy said.

That last part in bold has got to be made up. It can not be a real quote. Please tell me it isn't a real quote...

Thanks,
blend
edit on 14-9-2018 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

What happens behind the (quickly closable) curtains, stays behind the (quickly closed) curtains.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

What happens behind the (quickly closable) curtains, stays behind the (quickly closed) curtains.

Lol. I guess. Still, this guy made his quickly closable curtains for $3.00

He probably was able to afford a full time maid with the $52,697 dollars he saved by doing so...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

They were really important curtains, they have Russian ad blockers woven in.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Fire that wasteful bitch. Then look into the system that people feel emboldened to do this in.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
What's changed?
Did Haley bring in a new supplier? Is she doing something that is irregular?

Can you provide the historical costs of decorations so that we can see whether this is out of the norm.
Just want to determine whether this is a complaint against the money being spent or whether it's because you don't like the administration.

edit on 14/9/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Maybe Mrs. Haley is not allowed to play with scissors and electrical components? She certainly sounds crazy enough.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
sounds like security to me...

$50,000 ? for real?

The United nations rep for the USA probably spent twice that on making her car secure and ensuring her IT isnt being snooped.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
What's changed?
Did Haley bring in a new supplier? Is she doing something that is irregular?

Can you provide the historical costs of decorations so that we can see whether this is out of the norm.
Just want to determine whether this is a complaint against the money being spent or whether it's because you don't like the administration.

The point is that Trump was SUPPOSE to be different. He wasn't suppose to be the same. And after eight years of hearing the Republicans whine about spending, they seem to know how to do their fair share.

So regardless of past administrations, this one was suppose to break the habit of gouging the taxpayers. That's the difference. Unless, of course, Trump lied?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Maybe they are Kevlar curtains ?... And are Bulletproof ....

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

What has this got to do with Trump?
Does stuff like this reach his desk?
The article says the money was budgeted quite some time ago, under the Obama administration.

Seems like a waste of money to me, but rather silly to make it about President Trump.
edit on 14/9/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57

Wow, spending that on curtains when there were cut backs and hiring freezes:

While Ms. Haley’s curtains were being ordered and installed, Rex W. Tillerson, the administration’s first secretary of state, had frozen hiring, pushed out many of the department’s most senior diplomats and proposed cutting the department’s budget by 31 percent. In embassies around the world, projects were eliminated, jobs were left unfilled and the delegation to last year’s United Nations General Assembly meeting was slashed.

This part really gets me:

“How can you, on the one hand, tell diplomats that basic needs cannot be met and, on the other hand, spend more than $50,000 on a customized curtain system for the ambassador to the U.N.?” asked Brett Bruen, a White House official in the Obama administration.

But Mr. Kennedy defended the purchase, saying that it would probably be used for years and that it was needed for both security and entertaining purposes.

“All she’s got is a part-time maid, and the ability to open and close the curtains quickly is important,” Mr. Kennedy said.

That last part in bold has got to be made up. It can not be a real quote. Please tell me it isn't a real quote...

Thanks,
blend

Well don't forget the part where her down town apartment is 6,000 square feet- ten times bigger than any apartment I've lived in. By my count that's got twenty bedrooms, ten bathrooms, ten living rooms, ten kitchens, and an astounding fifty Windows!
An hour from town a place like that would cost over ten grand a month to rent, and she's right down town.

Want to talk about waste? Who pays that bill?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I once knew a girl who tried to invent curtains (or was it blinds?) that were completely silent during opening and closing. Drove her husband half mad. I'm pretty sure they cost less than what Nikki Haley paid for her quickly closing curtains. Wonder if she ever got them right.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I thought Trump was supposed to be draining the swamp? Instead, he ignores it under his watch. I always thought conservatives stressed fiscal responsibility, morality, credibility, a strong emphasis for protecting the U.S. from foreign adversaries, and a hate for authoritarian rule. All of which Trump has not embraced.

If republicans continue to ignore their basic beliefs, the party will see their downfall. How can anyone support a party who doesn't enforce or back-up their beliefs just because they currently have party majority and leadership?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Maybe they are Kevlar curtains ?... And are Bulletproof ....

Maybe...I wonder if she still calls her part time maid in the room to push the button to close the curtains...I mean, you can't be bothered to do that yourself when your entertaining.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I guess the money “they cut off UN from” must be use on “something”! $60K is a “tip of the iceberg” price, count much more like ”6 mill+”.

Thank you for sharing the story of this “miserable Haley”.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

If republicans continue to ignore their basic beliefs, the party will see their downfall.

You need to understand a large chunk of their voters care little about fiscal conservatism or government transparency. This isn't why they vote Republican. It comes down to social matters and that's it. Anything else is a cover.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Some fake news website

Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, is drawing criticism over curtains in her official residence costing nearly $53,000 -- purchased amid deep budget cuts in the State Department. Trouble is, the purchase was approved in 2016, under the Obama administration.

But the paper didn't mention until the sixth paragraph that Haley's spokesman said the Trump administration had no input in the purchase decision.

Some online critics apparently missed that detail.

So more of the same.

Obama bad administration blow-back on Trump's face and liberals goes nuts.

Nothing new here.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Yes yes yes, Obama bad. You need to actually read the OP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join