It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland schoolgirl threatened with suspension after refusing to stand for national anthem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: Kharron

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

It's not unique to Australia, nor is it anything warranting modern hystrionics.

institutionalized racism obviously isn't unique to Australia... But, Aboriginals were still being treated as nothing more than literal feral animals in some parts of Australia, well into the mid 20th century.

Its pretty full on and actually incredibly disgraceful.

So several generations ago? That has what to do with today? The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in the mid 20th century... should we still be grinding our axes?

Australia is the only country on the planet that doesn't recognize its indigenous people in its Constitution. Myself, and millions of other Australians, believe it's high time they were recognized.

Please stop commenting on topics you clearly, and demonstrably, have absolutely no clue about.

I can relate, as it seems you have no clue about the US Constitution. It mentions indians twice... once in excluding them from taxation directly by Congress (which is totally ignored at present) and then mentioning Congress has the authority to regulate trade between the states and the indian tribes. They are not directly mentioned anywhere else in the document.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I should further add that your assertion that the Aboriginal people should just "get over it" doesn't take into account the fact that there is a generation of Aboriginals alive still today that we call the "Stolen Generation". If you don't know what that is, I highly suggest educating yourself on it before commenting further.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: Kryties

I agree that they should be included along with the Torres strait peoples in the constitution.

Well, since there are literally trillions of kiwis in Australia, maybe the anthem could contain the haka as well, since they've been invading this joint since its founding, I know, I'm one of them.

On a serious note, have you noticed how the world changes in direct proportion to individuals' direct access to historic information via self-managed research vs what was taught in school via the state sanctioned history lessons? They say the devil is in the details, specifically the details conveniently omitted from the 'curriculum'.

Choose a country - same applies.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DIEGLOKE2

Dude, in another thread, you said you would sell out the country you were living in now.
Do you know no loyalty to anything?

As far as the OP goes, while it may be her parents leanings, I don't see a problem with this at school. But I would hope that her parents are actively "doing something" to try to change, what they don't believe in.
She isn't being paid to go to school, or "respect" the beliefs of an employer.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: ATruGod

Her words......
Bullshhhhh

Why not ? Are you shocked that educated people actually educate their children...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I agree that they should be included along with the Torres strait peoples in the constitution.

Well, since there are literally trillions of kiwis in Australia, maybe the anthem could contain the haka as well, since they've been invading this joint since its founding, I know, I'm one of them.

Lots of Aussies and Kiwis forget that New Zealand was once part of Australia! In fact it was part of New South Wales.

Fun fact.

Also, any Kiwi that dares to enter our shores automatically becomes Aussie, particularly if they are famous. That's like a general rule.

edit on 13/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I should further add that your assertion that the Aboriginal people should just "get over it" doesn't take into account the fact that there is a generation of Aboriginals alive still today that we call the "Stolen Generation". If you don't know what that is, I highly suggest educating yourself on it before commenting further.

Again, there are human beings still alive today who went through concentration camps and POW camps in WW2... are they permitted to be racist asses towards the Japanese and Germans, or does society effectively tell them to get over it and move on?

Honest question.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

What exactly is your problem with this 9 year old schoolgirl making a statement about how badly Aboriginals in Australia have been and still are currently treated and their lack of recognition in both our Constitution and our National Anthem?

Why are you siding with far-right politicians and far-right media personalities in bullying a 9 year old girl?

Why do you think you can comment on Australian Aboriginals in Australia when you clearly and demonstrably know nothing about the topic?

These are the questions that need answering.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: Kharron

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

It's not unique to Australia, nor is it anything warranting modern hystrionics.

institutionalized racism obviously isn't unique to Australia... But, Aboriginals were still being treated as nothing more than literal feral animals in some parts of Australia, well into the mid 20th century.

Its pretty full on and actually incredibly disgraceful.

So several generations ago? That has what to do with today? The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in the mid 20th century... should we still be grinding our axes?

Nah dude, I'm not saying we should all live in the past and carry on past grudges, generation to generation.

But this is about the national anthem and how it insinuates some kind of morally righteous origin... which is just so far from the truth, it borders on delusional.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I love kiwis. Nice people. As for the Maori. I live in Queensland six months out of the year. soon permanently. The Maori have always treated me well. First thing I did when I got in to caboolture waiting for my bus up towards south Burnett was hit up a pub. Some Maori came in. Instantly took a liking to me and without asking bought me a bunch of stubbies. Me likes the Maori.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: DIEGLOKE2

Dude, in another thread, you said you would sell out the country you were living in now.
Do you know no loyalty to anything?

As far as the OP goes, while it may be her parents leanings, I don't see a problem with this at school. But I would hope that her parents are actively "doing something" to try to change, what they don't believe in.
She isn't being paid to go to school, or "respect" the beliefs of an employer.

My sons school include all sorts of education about aboriginal people, they fly the flag ,teach their ways and language among other things, they are being taught to respect their heritage, its possible the school in question also has similar programs.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This is beyond cute... I see you frequently nosing into United States political discussions, giving your two cent's worth on all things American social politics, yet you're taking umbrage at an American giving his opinion on an Australian social/political issue. That's simply a hoot, man. You don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Truth is, I didn't give an opinion on the kid's protest in this thread. I gave an opinion on whether or not a 9 year old should have an understanding of a made-up, agenda drive, horsesnip concept like "institutionalized racism" in a normal school setting. I also made a Nike joke which, frankly, wrote itself.

As an aside, I likely sided with "far-right" politicians because, oh, I dunno, perhaps I agreed with them? Maybe? Mmmmmm could be.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

This country (USA) goes through anthem and pledge of alegiance "protest" noise every few years. In our experience, it's usually a grandstanding exercise in attention whoring and is rightly rejected/mocked by the majority of the country. Australia may experience different mileage on the topic I reckon.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Well, since there are literally trillions of kiwis in Australia, maybe the anthem could contain the haka as well, since they've been invading this joint since its founding,I know, I'm one of them.

That actually explains a lot...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I said nothing about you being American. I simply said you clearly know nothing about the topic and I'll add that you obviously have no interest in educating yourself on it.

Nice deflection from answering the questions though.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I repeat,,, but it do.
but
it
do...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Quick quiz:

1. What is the "Stolen Generation"?
2. What is the "Intervention"?
3. Why are questions 1 and 2 important in understanding the ongoing issues that Australian Aboriginals have?

I challenge you to research these topics. When done with that we can then discuss their treatment pre-20th/21st century.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Is mentioning them in the Aus anthem or a child being used as a pawn of parents pushing an agenda going to change either issue?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Is mentioning them in the Aus anthem

It's a start, yes. Better that the sweet nothing they've had so far.

or a child being used as a pawn of parents pushing an agenda going to change either issue?

You know this child and her parents do you? You know she's being used as a "pawn" by her parents? How do you know this?

I agree with what a previous poster said about comparing a child's education level in America to one here in Australia. You are making a presumption that this girl doesn't know enough about the topic and is incapable of having her own thoughts on the subject. What utter nonsense.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

I believe She should show respect and at least stand or leave the room like They are offering.

Why should she stand?

The last legal massacre of Aboriginals was the Coniston Massacre ended October 1928
edit on 13-9-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join