It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland schoolgirl threatened with suspension after refusing to stand for national anthem

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Visiting Australia saw this little diddy on the news.

A NINE-YEAR-OLD schoolgirl is facing suspension after she refused to stand for Australia’s national anthem.

Harper Nielsen, a student at Kenmore South State School in Brisbane, decided to protest against Advance Australia Fair, saying it was not inclusive of indigenous Australians.

Queensland schoolgirl threatened with suspension after refusing to stand for national anthem

Her Parents are so proud of Her because She came to this all on Her own, She believes It advances Whites, is Institutionalized Racism (Her words watch the video) and forgets the indigenous people. Now I have never heard a 9 year old use the words Institutionalized racism. If 9 year olds are going to start making the rules We are more doomed than We thought.

I believe She should show respect and at least stand or leave the room like They are offering.

Video of Harper
edit on 13-9-2018 by ATruGod because: grammar

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Her words......
Bullshhhhh

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

wow that one hell of a firm grasp on high school level history I'm super sure her parents didn't indoctrina... i mean "teach" her.

I'm sure she did come to that conclusion on her own AFTER her parents explained to her all about Institutionalized Racism microaggressions, white privilege, and how all white people are racist.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

The only people who are trying to bully that 9 year old are far-right politicians and far-right media people here who are still afraid of non-conformism.

The fact is our Australian National Anthem doesn't acknowledge the Aboriginal people, it really only praises how white man came and took over an 'empty country' while completely ignoring the 60,000+ years of Aboriginal inhabitation.

The issues go deeper than that, the Aboriginal people are not even given recognition in our Constitution. This schoolgirl is just making a stand against the lack of recognition of the Aboriginal people and is supported by more Australians than not.

Imagine being so threatened by non-conformism you’d bully a child

edit on 13/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

We are doomed if it's getting normal when adults bullying 9 year old girls.
edit on 13-9-2018 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Any word on how much Nike will pay her to be their Australian spokesperson?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
As with the 10 year old who convinced Kelloggs to change a box label, I've my doubts as to just how much of this is her thinking, and how much is the parents...

But...

Tempest in a teapot.

No one says I have to like it, and I don't. However, it is her right as a free citizen. So long as they are not disruptive, have at it.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Just like the cereal girl, I don’t care either way but she isn’t wrong.

I don’t believe that she came to this understanding all by her self at the age of 9 but if she did then good she is of strong spirit able to stand up for what she believes in, however like the cereal girl they are more than likely political puppets of their parents.

We acknowledge the indigenous here in Canada in our anthem “our home and native land”
They where here and are still here and we all are Canadians.

edit on 13-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Here's a more legitimate source of the story from the ABC... rather than that Rupert Murdoch sensationalised propaganda nonsense.

www.abc.net.au

Honestly though, good for her... She refused to stand for some stupid outdated song, which has no reverence to modern day Australia. The only real purpose of forcing children to stand for that, would be to indoctrinate them into unquestioned patriotism to TPTB.

Seems like an intelligent kid, who's been raised well.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yes I meant to point out in my previous post that news.com.au is a Murdoch propaganda tabloid website.

edit on 13/9/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
i must say i rather agree with suspending the student.

and meanwhile in the Philippines earlier this week 34 people were ARRESTED for failing to stand for the national anthem before a movie. and yes it is really against the law[i] to fail to stand for it.

Batangas — Thirty-four moviegoers were arrested Wednesday night for not standing up to sing the Philippine national anthem inside the cinema of a mall in Lemery, Batangas.

Inspector Hazel Luma-ang, information officer of the Batangas Provincial Police Office, said operatives of the Lemery police station conducted an operation at Cinema 2 of Xentro mall against violators of Republic Act 8491 or the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines law.
The operation happened at 2 p.m.

"The operation resulted to the arrest of the suspects for not standing in attention and for disrespecting the Philippine National Anthem while it was being played prior to the showing of the movie film entitled 'The Hows of Us,'" Luma-ang said.
They are currently detained at the Lemery police station while appropriate charges are being prepared for filing in court Thursday.

Penalties stated in the code for any person that violates any of the provisions of RA 8491 shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than P5,000 but not more than P20,000, or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.
Read more at www.philstar.com...

it is also against the law to fail to sing it with "fervor"

in a lot of ways i wish this were the law in the US and Canada. it would certainly stop the disgusting and disrespectful displays we are seeing from the children that we pay millions because they happen to be lucky and are good at a sport

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

What's so disrespectful about standing up for something you believe in?

Our Australian Aboriginal people HAVE been, and CONTINUE TO BE, treated horrendously. Taking a stand against their lack of recognition in not only our Constitution but also our National Anthem is more than a worthy cause in most Australians opinions.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Dosent sounds like a nice place to live...
Isn’t their leader putting out lists of suspected corrupt officials often ending in their lynching deaths usually on drummed up false drug charges, he is using his war on drugs to off his political opponents all the while he admits to using fentanyl because it’s legal and proscribed to him....

I don’t know about you guys but I for one don’t want my country to start emulating the Philippines

a reply to: generik

edit on 13-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Change this to your anthem, problems solved...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
Now I have never heard a 9 year old use the words Institutionalized racism.

That's because we live in America.

There are what, 26 or 27 countries ahead of us in world ranking this year out of 14 categories? I'm going off of memory so my numbers may be off. 19th in science, and 30th in many other categories, placing us at an average 28th I believe.

You're basing what an average child knows on what an average American child knows. Kids in better educated countries are a handful of years ahead.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

She should've taken a knee.

It's cool to do that now.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I propose that this should be the official Australian national anthem.

Far more appropriate and relevant...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

If 9 year olds in other countries are drinking the Kool Aid and talking about ridiculousness like "institutionalized racism, I'm not sure I'd say they're "ahead" of the average American school kid in that regard. Unless one considers brainwashing to be an educational milestone of program success...

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Mate, exactly how much do you know about Australia and our history with the Aboriginal people? I ask because you seem to know next to nothing.

I know it's similar to the history of the world... aliens land, explore, and conquer... indigenous people adapt or are driven out. It's not unique to Australia, nor is it anything warranting modern hystrionics.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join