It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl, 10, forces Kellogg's to change 'sexist' wording on boxes of Coco Pops

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What was that one that was kid tested....mother approved!,!

We should collectively refuse to give that one up, huh!!
edit on 13-9-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Terrible thought that kids should actually like a cereal marketed to them! That's pretty offensive and pandering.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Somebody....loan me a dime!!!!!....

I need to call my old time....used to be.....!!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It's soft sexism, sure, but ultimately not the big deal anyone in the thread with their panties in a wad up their hooha over it are making it out to be (seriously, grow a pair)

My kids have pointed out several things that they say don't make sense because I, as mom, don't bother with personally, such as the "Choosy moms choose Jiff" slogan. "Huh, that doesn't make an sense, you hate peanut butter. Dad buys the peanut butter and makes our sandwiches. Why do they think only moms buy peanut butter? That's dumb, guys buy it, too."

Simple observation that in hindsight makes sense. Oooooh, mine must have caught the SJW AIDS, eh? No, they just noticed a mildly stupid string of words that in reality, is more than a little incorrect -- dads buy Jiff, too.

At the end of the day, big whoop. If they want to ask Jiff why they went with just "choosy moms", they can. If they don't want to, they can also.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It's soft sexism, sure,

Enough said.
Panties in a twist assertions are just silly distractions. Do you support soft sexism or not?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Ah now that's one's different because it does carry enough to imply mom makes the choice.

"Choosy moms choose Jiff"

So there it is - mom is making the choice. But if all mom is doing is approving, well there isn't enough there to tell you that mom is making your breakfast, only that she approves. Now if you don't have a mom, that might be one thing. But it doesn't say she made your breakfast if that was the girl's worry in particular.

However, our line when kiddo notices those slogans is that it's an ad, and all ads are supposed to do is make you want something you don't need anyhow.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I can see some kids, sure, and maybe this kid is one of 'em. I can't know one way or the other.

Just seems odd to me, is all.

I mean I was kinda one of those kids. I wore a nixon/agnew campaign button in the third grade...mostly because of his trip to China--I was glued to the TV during that, but I was the only one.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It doesn't even say anything about dad's....that's all just inferred.

It doesn't say that dads DONT make a choice. It's just saying that choosy moms do..

It's like me saying I like beef tacos and someone thinking that means I don't like chicken tacos. Or fish tacos. Or whatever....

A2D

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The girl believed it was a problem and took steps to resolve it. All i say is good for her if you don't like the change feel free to write the company and explain your displeasure with the change.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: StallionDuck

Before you go too far, consider the OP has edited the OP..I believe it made reference to "lefties"

I did mention 'lefties' in the OP but i deleted the word as some were getting upset. I thought I'd alter it to just read as 'loonies', that doesn't indicate anyone specific!

See, it works! Someone voiced their disapproval, and you made a change. No one forced you to.

No one forced me.. i jus thought it may not be the 'lefties' what did it, so i'll alter it.. it was my choice to do so..

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
A possible problem arising here though is the girl may go to school and get taken the micky out of because she was rthe only one complaining
edit on CDTThu, 13 Sep 2018 15:46:54 -05000000003003x154x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
A possible problem arising here though is the girl may go to school and get taken the micky out of because she was rthe only one complaining

I doubt it.

I seriously doubt any of the other kids really care all that much unless they're all as brainwashed in that school as she seems to be in which case, it's a school thing more than a parent thing.

Otherwise, the only way she'd get any problem for it is if this made a big deal out of by the adult structures around her and it's super-visible and the other kids resent it.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, but most kids aren't going to think it's something that's going to offend people unless society around them has trained them to think they should be offended.

i dont disagree with what you are saying but why is this a bad thing?

i mean it is a stupid to get offended by that slogan. of course.
having said that what is so bad about them changing it?

link   
Well my mom's dead and I take zero offense to the slogan approved by mum's.

On the otherhand...maybe feeding your 10 year old child coco pops for breakfast so often that she notices the slogan is a great way to get an early start on diabetes.

Sounds like her father makes poor breakfast choices...
edit on 13/9/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

The idea that it's something to get offended by on someone's behalf.

You'll note she didn't write the company and say, "Dear Kellog's, My mommy died when I was a baby, so she can't approve of my cereal, so your slogan makes me feel so bad ... *sniff, sniff*"

Instead, she wrote to the company with the language of the perpetually offended on someone else's behalf, "Dear Kellog's, I noticed that your slogan says 'mom approved,' and it made me think about how that seems to say that only mommies serve breakfast. That's sexist and not every kid has a mommy so that might make those kids feel bad because their daddies might not approve or can't approve."

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
i already said it is a stupid thing to get offended over

even if the reason for the change is stupid.

the fact is it is changed.

why is the new slogan bad?

the slogan. not the reasons

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Why was the new slogan needed, and did the company change the slogan because it decided it needed to on its own?

Basically, what you're doing is looking at a place that's swapped "man" for "person" in something and you're asking me what's wrong with "person" without addressing why it was maybe silly to feel we needed to change over in the first place which is the actual crux of the discussion taking place.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why was the new slogan needed, and did the company change the slogan because it decided it needed to on its own?

i didnt say it was needed.

but clearly the company felt so or they wouldnt have done it based on 1 letter from 1 child.

was there a mass twitter storm about it?
some sort of campaign?
online petition?

nope. a single letter so i guess it was needed.

aside from all that can you finally answer my question.

why is the change a bad thing?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
i will say again
if 1 letter from 1 ten year old can compel a company to change their slogan then yes, it was needed.

edit on 13-9-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Maybe it's just a better marketing tactic in their eyes... a slogan that appeals to a broader populace... not necessarily "needed" in that sense...just smarter advertising.

A2D

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join