It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body modification's role In the coming human-robot apocalypse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
www.bmezine.com...

I guess someday this will come true but would it be considered as evolution?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
body modificiatons = revival of our primitive selves. Tattoos, piercings, scarification, are in a sense older than religion itself. Interesting read nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
body modificiatons = revival of our primitive selves. Tattoos, piercings, scarification, are in a sense older than religion itself. Interesting read nonetheless.

You forgot other mods, like mods to make you stronger, smarter, faster etc etc. I think that is what the Author is talking about, I guess a better word would be Body Enhancement, and yes it is still evolution its just we are going to direct it ourselves. As for the "coming human-robot" apocalypse, its still far from certain that something like that WILL happen, its totally up to us in how we react and deal with this technology.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The author sounds rather intimidated by computers, frankly. He's probably unaware of the work of Dr. Steve Mann, who is into cyborging.
wearcam.org...

...or how much we integrate technology into our lives (it seems to be a Big Evil Monster to him... but just scan this list and ask yourself how much of this you do/know about):
wearcam.org...

www.space.com...

I don't buy into the "evil technology" stuff. We have met the future in tech, and it's here right now, and it hasn't turned any of us into slavering monsters.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. . . YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. . . RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. . . YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. . . RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. . . YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. . . RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. . . YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. . . RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. . . YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. . .

(Sorry, but it seemd appropriate to the topic.)

Does life imitate art, or is it the other way around?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ghost in the shell, thats where were going. I put my money on rtificial limbs and "live" sex dolls first

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
I put my money on rtificial limbs and "live" sex dolls first

Cool, Where did you order it (the doll)

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I agre with Nuku, it will probably be similiar to ghost in the shell.
I theorize that the first and most popular implant will be a NeuralPhone, a cell phone built in to your nervous system/brain.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The neural cell phone would probably be the cheapest thing to get.....but I personaly want to upgrade my body with better strength and faster movement, nano tech suits maybe more likely for something like that over actually removing and replacing bodyparts.But if my life could be extended by hacking it apart that would be fine...as long as my brain was left as intact as possible(some type of neural network interface would be needed...but it would need to be a "closed" network so hacking wouldnt be possible).

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I agre with Nuku, it will probably be similiar to ghost in the shell.
I theorize that the first and most popular implant will be a NeuralPhone, a cell phone built in to your nervous system/brain.

NeuralPhone? I would never willingly get that. I don't have anything against neural implants...I just really hate phones. Worked at too many call centers I guess. *shivers*

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
.....but I personaly want to upgrade my body with better strength and faster movement, nano tech suits maybe more likely for something like that over actually removing and replacing bodyparts.

I'm a combatant so I have always been interested in the prospect of enhancing my body this way. Wearing an outer/removable layer would certainly be ideal (I think) but I would go more extreme. When the time comes and I find I am actually against this kind of bodily upgrades I would still do it out of pure preparation (assuming others are).

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Im with everyone here, I think it will become like Ghost in the shell....Remember though if these neural inplants become used, whats stopping a matrix like world being born ?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Why would we make a robot or a computer intelligent? Ofcourse in a few cases there will be made some smart ones but before that i guess the vast majority will be dumb.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Why would we make a robot or a computer intelligent? Ofcourse in a few cases there will be made some smart ones but before that i guess the vast majority will be dumb.

Because they would be good worker monkeys that way.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm reminded of an episode of stargate. I really hate using shows as examples, but w/e.

Anyways, they found a race of people living inside a biodome. They were all connected to a computer system via "the link", a little neural interface thats like a headphone on the ear. The computer system in charge of the biodome's lasting success started acting on its own and killed off thousands of people to maintain the population at a stable limit. No one knew about it, because the computer erased all memory of the missing people.

If anything, i think our end will result from something like that...a machine made with originally good intentions...but bad methods.

as for bio-mech people...i honestly dont a robot war will erupt. I mean, currently its only for amputees and such. First the robotic heart. then a robotic arm. Maybe a set of robot legs. But once they get really complex...and someone decides go go homocidal robot style...a good emp should take out his cyborg parts.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
EMP Will only work if the cyborg implants are A: Not hardend against such an attack(kind of an obvious one isn't it and B: They run on electronic prinicipals. In the future it has been speculated that the future of robotics is Nano-Analog and Optical. Emp would be useless against any type of robotics if they are based off of those techs

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Remember though if these neural inplants become used, whats stopping a matrix like world being born ?

I'm not quite sure I understand, how can a cell phone or processor create something attuned to a Matrix reality?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
To answer the original question,

I don't believe that assisted modifications to a species is considered evolution.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I can assure you that the author of that article is not...
"rather intimidated by computers, frankly. He's probably unaware of the work of Dr. Steve Mann, who is into cyborging. ...or how much we integrate technology into our lives. (it seems to be a Big Evil Monster to him.)"

He runs one of the most visited sites on the Web and has made a very comfortable life for himself as a software author, starting in his teens. He tends to have an alarmist view of the future, but it has nothing to do with computers or technology. He just tends to focus on the clouds rather than the silver lining.

And he's met and talked personally with lots of people in the field that he was writing about, including Steve Mann (at the 2004 Transhumanist Conference in Toronto), about whom he says, "Steve Mann is the real deal.", and wrote a long report on Mann's presentation at that conference.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Workers do not need to be intelligent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join