It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the Eye of the Storm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
HMMMM.......
Sitting here with my wife on one side and my beer on the other. Thinking about the days ahead.
I live in Georgetown county, South Carolina and have a lot on my mind. Mainly a storm named Florence.
I have lived through Hazel and Hugo with a few other named storms in-between.
This one feels different though, I can not put my finger on why. As I watch, this storm is predicted to sit off the coast, dumping rain before coming to my house with Cat. 1 hurricane winds.
It's the water that is the most worrisome. The wind is one thing but the water before the wind is the real beast.
The day after Hugo (it hit at 145 mph, if I remember correctly) I remember waking up and walking outside. The landscape was transformed. I lived about 1/4 mile down a dirt road in the middle of a pine forest.
All around you could see paths cut through the pine woods where tornadoes had cut through and broke off all the trees about 10' off the ground, a truly awesome site.
A few years ago Mathew swept through and it seemed worse, even though the wind was only T.S. to Cat. 1.
The difference was the water. The ground got saturated so the trees did not "snap" they uprooted.
So, once again as I face down one of these storms I have come to understand that the wind is bad but......the water is what really damages.
Say a prayer for us and keep us in your thoughts. The days ahead will be........ interesting.
I will try and keep y'all informed and I would appreciate if y'all did the same for me, as sometimes it is hard to get info when you're in the path of the storm. The internet has helped with this tremendously though over the years.
Thanks in advance.
(Not the best written thread but hey....Beer.)
Quad

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Good luck and I hope it is not as bad as they think.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Thank you!
As I stated.... Something feels different about this one but maybe it's the beer.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My 20 year old daughter evacuated this morning from Folly Beach and is safely nestle in the mountains of North Carolina.

I was living in Columbia when Hugo hit and went down a week later to help restore elevators in Charleston.

Stay safe !

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
My 20 year old daughter evacuated this morning from Folly Beach and is safely nestle in the mountains of North Carolina.

I was living in Columbia when Hugo hit and went down a week later to help restore elevators in Charleston.

Stay safe !

Though out them all I never thought about leaving but this time..... not so sure. We have a small farm with chickens and goats and I just can't leave em. Also have around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 honey bees (well, that may be a small exaggeration).

edit on 12-9-2018 by Quadrivium because: forgot the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 bees

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I send you positive energy (a non-theist)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I send you positive energy (a non-theist)

I will take it and thank you my fair lady.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
All I can find for news/ info, over and over and over: FLORENCE TO HIT THE COAST. Ok- fine and dandy...

How about the rest of us poor fools inland??? The weather sites are acting like this thing is going to dance up and down the coast, while the rest of us get sunny skies and 80 degrees. :/

This is just a personal complaint, but watching meteorologists cough up a definitive path is like watching blind people nail up jello.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
All I can find for news/ info, over and over and over: FLORENCE TO HIT THE COAST. Ok- fine and dandy...

How about the rest of us poor fools inland??? The weather sites are acting like this thing is going to dance up and down the coast, while the rest of us get sunny skies and 80 degrees. :/

This is just a personal complaint, but watching meteorologists cough up a definitive path is like watching blind people nail up jello.

AMEN brother! They are scared to commit me thinks.
Were are you located?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

Just wondering, do you have a feeling that the storm is going to veer a little further south? I've seen a few say this and I somewhat feel like that too.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Greensboro.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yeah, I feel your pain living here in Kentucky for the last 18 years, But my interests is I have family in South Carolina and was born in raised down there. I was a weather junkie when I lived down there and I still am.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Just wondering, do you have a feeling that the storm is going to veer a little further south? I've seen a few say this and I somewhat feel like that too.
I think the European Model has it hugging the coast and moving in at Savanna but I don't see that happening. I think it will have too much forward momentum to stop on a dime and start moving down the coast. This leads me to believe it will shift to the southwest and move in between Charleston and Georgetown.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Greensboro.

just had a friend move up that way to work at a Michelin plant.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Prayers sent your way Quad. Judging by how you feel about this storm, you may want to take your family and leave. No need to put them at risk.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
In Norfolk, they say we shouldn't get it bad but we'll see

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
For those that want a good update. WPDE.COM weather. Their meteorologist is the best I have seen yet when it come to accurate info.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I've lived through a few myself. The one I remember the most was hurricane Opal, cat 4.
Been through a few in Florida too. I lived in central Fla so we never got hit that bad, just lots and lots of rain.
The scary thing about hurricanes is that they are so unpredictable.

Hurricane Opal tore my street up and down, by some miracle my old rickety house was completely spared. The one tree that fell did so away from the house.

Anyways, sending prayers and good vibes stay safe!

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Prayers covering you and all that is yours. You will not be touched. In the name of Jesus, amen.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ccseagull

Prayers covering you and all that is yours. You will not be touched. In the name of Jesus, amen.

God bless you my friend. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join