It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BUFF looks to be even more formidable thanks to the JASSM-XR

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The Pentagon announced that LockMart would be receiving a 51 million dollar (US) contract to develop an XR variant of its JASSM cruise missile with hopes to field it by 2023.

The XR is supposed to have a 1000 mile range
The warhead may be lighter than the previous JASSM but still be able to cut through 7.5 meters of concrete

With that kind of standoff range the BUFF could become a very valuable weapon especially in the Pacific where the Chicoms are getting frisky and are rapidly developing an area denial capacity. Add to that the Re-engine program and the updated avionics, you have a proven missile truck that combines long loiter time with a huge standoff capacity. Currently B-52 with an internal mod can carry 20 of the ER variant. The XR should be in similar numbers and I would not be surprised to see that increase. In addition that kind of range makes perhaps a C-130 a viable carrier depending on the conflict as well.

defence-blog.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

My only concern about the JASSM-XR is the flight time. The JASSM isn't a speedy missile and 1000 miles is long ways when you are subsonic. 2 hours, potentially 3? That's fine for static targets...but...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

My only concern about the JASSM-XR is the flight time. The JASSM isn't a speedy missile and 1000 miles is long ways when you are subsonic. 2 hours, potentially 3? That's fine for static targets...but...

I agree with that. But, if you look at it as say a first wave kind of thing, say you lead with the JASSMS with the stealthy first day of war aircraft following behind. The JASSMs perform a SEAD role and strike at critical C3I infrastructure making it easier on the aircraft. It also is the selected missile for the CHAMP warhead.

If you time the attack so that the stealthy aircraft are a few minutes behind the missiles, they can clear a path of at least fixed targets for the incoming strike

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Walt until they get their new engines and they can really open up capabilities.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Walt until they get their new engines and they can really open up capabilities.

Yeah I touched on that in the OP. More loiter time and longer range makes this perfect for the Pacific. Its about 3000 miles from Guam to say Guangzhou is about 2200-2300 miles. That is already well within the H models combat radius. With the standoff range, this would allow unrelated strike flights from Guam.

Its also unlikely that the PLAN would be able to effectively interdict the Philippine Sea and its ideal to help defend Taiwan.

Before we get all the nonsence let me preempt. This assumes that the battle is conventional, and that the US can keep Anderson Field open

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the electrical boost they're going to get. They're getting a pretty significant power boost.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah its signifigant. Hopefully they have directed energy weapons and NG Jammers to use all that electricity on

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Loiter time? So this missile is fired and just....loiters until the target is either ok'd or ready to be destroyed? What if the target is canceled? Does it then dump itself? It's not like it can return home.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Loiter time? So this missile is fired and just....loiters until the target is either ok'd or ready to be destroyed? What if the target is canceled? Does it then dump itself? It's not like it can return home.

Actually I was referring to the B-52's having more loiter time on station but other missiles Like the Block 4 Tomahawk etc do have a capacity to loiter until a target appears. The missile that loiters gets into a use or lose situation. It does not return home, but its helpful if you need to re-target or say the initial target is destroyed. I assume if not target is ever found it self destructs

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Imagine being in a fish in boat and one loses....prolly straight down huh....like that FB111F after the side by side crew punched...directly in front of atc at Nellis....74

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The loiter and return home thing is kinda of what the idea behind the Kratos Valkyrie is. It's an attrible UAV and supposed to fly really soon. Better than a Reaper, a lot cheaper than an F-35 and probably a little stealthy but can be bought in large enough numbers to swarm with.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

LockMart? I initially was thinking that Lockheed and Walmart were getting together on this project.

After reading the article, I see that it's Lockheed Martin. All these mergers over the years have made for interesting corporate names.

Then again, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a Walmart online order option for a "Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile." You can get just about anything else from Wally World. Why not long-range tactical cruise missiles?

-dex

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Lockheed is the Walmart of the defense industry, without the low prices. They offer a little of everything.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Lockheed is the Walmart of the defense industry, without the low prices. They offer a little of everything.

Unlike Walmart, I hope Lockheed-Mart sells products made-in-America. It would be kind of embarrassing to use JASSM cruise missiles made in China, to attack China.

But, seriously, didn't the DOD recently have to review a number of weapons systems to make sure they didn't contain components that were made in China?

-dex

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

There were several incidents. One used counterfeit chips that were made in China, but the bigger one was the DJI drone fiasco. It turns out that all the pictures taken by a DJI drone are uploaded to a cloud like server, with GPS tags, that China has hacked repeatedly along with other vulnerabilities.
edit on 9/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
The Pentagon announced that LockMart would be receiving a 51 million dollar (US) contract to develop an XR variant of its JASSM cruise missile with hopes to field it by 2023.

yeah whatever

They've been working on that one for almost 15 years.
some juciy details from way back:
www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

There were several incidents. One used counterfeit chips that were made in China, but the bigger one was the DJI drone fiasco. It turns out that all the pictures taken by a DJI drone are uploaded to a cloud like server, with GPS tags, that China has hacked repeatedly along with other vulnerabilities.

This is slightly OT but hacked or let in? We all know how close a connectionthere is between the PLA and major Chinese companies, seems to me with how things are run there they just might not have had to do any hacking whatsoever. Back to the topic at hand I’m glad to see the BUFF getting some more love especially considering the projected use of the BUFF until mid 2050, a testimate to what an amazing platform the old girl is! Side note anyone know how long the Ruskies are planning on running the Bear?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The PLA is a company. if you want to build anything in china you have to get there permission.

congressionalresearch.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

originally posted by: FredT

yeah whatever

www.flightglobal.com...

Snarky much? Was that completely necessary?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
yeah whatever

www.flightglobal.com...

Sweet. You were trying for level II sarcasm but didn't stick the landing. Yes they speak of a "concept" Now they got the funding after the baseline was developed.

The USAF also did not has much of a need in 2005 as they still had the AGM-129 ACM which was their stealthy long range weapon of choice. Those retired in 2012 and with the AGM-86C dwindling and becoming hard to maintain, this is a replacement.

Concepts are floated all the time. It may take time before an operational need is identified

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join