It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the Dems are bribing people for their votes.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

NRA-- don't vote for any meaningful gun legislation or we will use our funds and numbers to bring you down...
Christian right-- stand against abortion, homosexuality, and whatever else we chose to stand against... or we will use our funds and our numbers to bring you down...
Federalist Society-- stand by our principles, take our recommendations for high offices, or we will stand against you.
Corporate America-- let us write the laws that will affect us, or we will with hold our funds from you...

a few american citizens, probably majority women-- don't vote this person into our highest court or we will do all we can to replace you, including crowdfunding your opponent.... I have to ask, why is it that this one is bothering you so much? unless it's that you know that there's a large number of people, large enough to match the numbers in the NRA, the Christian Right, the Federalist Society, and Corporate America, who are wealthy enough to match their contributions that feel very strongly that this nominee should not be in the supreme court!!!
what's the matter, are you starting to realize that your majority isn't really the majority??

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
the overall consensus here from the left is this "They did it too, so I'll stick my fingers in my ears and call you bad."

I have some good ammo for any and all threads in the future. Apparently for you to be doing a good job, you have to either not point out things the left does wrong, or at least bring up all the things the right does wrong to balance out the slime.

So all the lefties who champion this behavior, practice what you preach. You set the bar.

The overall consensus seems to be that this is no different from lobbying that goes on every singe day other than it is crowd funded. I think the majority of people are lost as to why you think this should be treated as bribery when it's no different?

If you want to say there is is too much money in politics I think you find at lest as many people on 'the left' support that.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

the overall consensus here from the left is this "They did it too, so I'll stick my fingers in my ears and call you bad."

I have some good ammo for any and all threads in the future. Apparently for you to be doing a good job, you have to either not point out things the left does wrong, or at least bring up all the things the right does wrong to balance out the slime.

So all the lefties who champion this behavior, practice what you preach. You set the bar.

The overall consensus seems to be that this is no different from lobbying that goes on every singe day other than it is crowd funded. I think the majority of people are lost as to why you think this should be treated as bribery when it's no different?

If you want to say there is is too much money in politics I think you find at lest as many people on 'the left' support that.

Yea, no. you missed the entire point of that post. Read it again, and remember it when you post a thread, or reply, I'd hate for the left to show their dark side.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Yea, no. you missed the entire point of that post. Read it again, and remember it when you post a thread, or reply, I'd hate for the left to show their dark side.

Genuinely no idea what point you are trying to make.

Funding opponents of politicians you disagree with is part of politics. I don't think many people think the level it has reached is a good thing but this specific instance is really no different.

Unless you think we are trying to influence votes with Jedi mind tricks not sure what you mean by dark side.
edit on 12-9-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Lab4Us

Also Lobbying: “If you don’t support legislation that will support our business, we’ll donate to the other campaign who will.”

At least these liberal activists don’t care about their businesses - they care about women, trans people, gay people, etc.

Lol, yep...identity politics at its’ best...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Yeah, yeah, conservatives post threads bashing liberals (“don’t vote for Democrats - they’re morally bankrupt!”) and liberals post threads bashing conservatives (“don’t vote for Republicans - they’re morally bankrupt!”). Same, same - every day. Yawn.

The dark side is on all sides. Anyone who doesn’t know this is an idiot.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Only caring about yourself is identity politics as well. Being a selfish human IS an identity.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

What do you think the NRA does? Or for that matter, the countless other organizations that reward politicians for enacting their agendas with big dollar donations and threaten to support their rivals if they don't?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

What do you think the NRA does? Or for that matter, the countless other organizations that reward politicians for enacting their agendas with big dollar donations and threaten to support their rivals if they don't?

yeah and you guys cry about it every time..

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

as if the christian right isn't identity politics...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

a reply to: luthier

the point is, this isn't hidden behind some lobbying group, it's blatant and in your face, and it's bribing, or trying to bribe, for a vote.

I do believe that Lobbying should be illegal and if you run for any office, there is a set amount you can spend, so everyone gets the same airtime and coverage. I'm also for term limits, but my opinion doesn't seem to count for much, other than to trigger a particular poster to attack a word, or an idea.

The problem here is you chose a tribal wedge issue yo post about. Then you created it as if it doesn't happen, when in reality politicians are threatened like this daily. The Koch brothers commonly write a piece that opposes legislation and then threaten to support a candidate running against a conservative for instance....

So yeah it doesn't pass the sniff test. You wanted to point out the bad liberals.

Like I said. It's a symptom only.

Talking about it as a special root cause circumstance isn't going to rally enough people (from both sides)
To do a damn thing about it. What it does is create a feud and perpetuate divide and conquer.

You are right. And if you can show me where you called out this behavior on the left as well, I will be humbled and apologize to everyone here. If you can't, then perhaps you need to look a bit closer to home with your riotous condemnation.

I didn't create a message board topic about how outrageous the behavior is.

Yeah it's crazy. Our politicians are bought and paid for.

Like I said if this was somehow an organic citizen campaign of voters who got together to create this it actually seems far more democratic than Monsanto buying Obama.

edit on 12-9-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
They just thought Susan Collins is an easy target being she votes with Democrats most of the time amyways. Thanks Susan for voting for the ACA. I wish she would just switch sides then she won't be a Democrat mole in the GOP

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

a reply to: luthier

the point is, this isn't hidden behind some lobbying group, it's blatant and in your face, and it's bribing, or trying to bribe, for a vote.

I do believe that Lobbying should be illegal and if you run for any office, there is a set amount you can spend, so everyone gets the same airtime and coverage. I'm also for term limits, but my opinion doesn't seem to count for much, other than to trigger a particular poster to attack a word, or an idea.

The problem here is you chose a tribal wedge issue yo post about. Then you created it as if it doesn't happen, when in reality politicians are threatened like this daily. The Koch brothers commonly write a piece that opposes legislation and then threaten to support a candidate running against a conservative for instance....

So yeah it doesn't pass the sniff test. You wanted to point out the bad liberals.

Like I said. It's a symptom only.

Talking about it as a special root cause circumstance isn't going to rally enough people (from both sides)
To do a damn thing about it. What it does is create a feud and perpetuate divide and conquer.

You are right. And if you can show me where you called out this behavior on the left as well, I will be humbled and apologize to everyone here. If you can't, then perhaps you need to look a bit closer to home with your riotous condemnation.

I didn't create a message board topic about how outrageous the behavior is.

Yeah it's crazy. Our politicians are bought and paid for.

Like I said if this was somehow an organic citizen campaign of voters who got together to create this it actually seems far more democratic than Monsanto buying Obama.

You are correct it's not organic. Soros bought and paid for.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
but if you only call out the problems with the other side, you don't look like some superman who is above all others, you just look like someone on the other side bitching.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

she is one of two women republicans that have stood for abortion rights, that is what makes her a good target for this...
remember, the dems only need two and the nomination doesn't go through!!
but let me ask you something here...
you then go on to criticize her for how she voted on the ACA, which I am assuming you are talking about the healthcare bill that the republicans slapped together in hopes of replacing obamacare. unless she did in fact vote for obamacare, which I am not sure of...
shouldn't our legislators when they get in office be more concerned about what is good for their constituents at home than about party loyalty??
just how many of those republican senators are being told to either back this guy or forget about getting our backing next time around??
maybe we should do away with political parties so our representative are more inclined to represent us??

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

when have you called out the NRA, the Christian Right for their similar actions??

sorry, but it's looks like it's you who is whining here...
kind of like, how dare they do what we've been doing all this time!!!

maybe the christian right can start labeling the internet as being evil and in need of being taken from the people, just so the people lose their power to join forces and gain enough strength to compete with the right's collection of special interest and corporate groups.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
1976 Buckley v Valeo - Money is speech, is the right anti free speech now?

en.wikipedia.org...

Welcome to the dark side righties, we have Che tee-shirts in all sizes.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Are only people in Maine allowed to donate? If not then is it the will of the voters?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Unless they are registered lobbiest
it illegal.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Are only people in Maine allowed to donate? If not then is it the will of the voters?

They vote somewhere, and this is a court with jurisdiction over the entire country. That is why PACS can meddle contribute across state lines.

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join