It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the Dems are bribing people for their votes.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Other than the fact that it's crowd funded how is different from the NRA funding opponents of pro gun control candidates or environmental groups funding opponents of pro fracking candidates?

If money in politics is wrong the surely all money in politics is wrong. At least this is honest and in the open about it.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

This is certainly lobbying. But the outrage is ridiculous. Much like the nike situation it's totally fabricated anger to divide the country.

People should be outraged about terms, lobbying, the poison the fda has allowed in food etc.

This is exactly what happens everyday in politics. Special interests bribe politicians. The reason this made news is because it's about abortion which is designed to divide the public and keep us from ending actual causes rather than symptoms.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.foxnews.com...

A crowdfunding campaign has raised over $1 million as of Tuesday for the opponent of Senator Susan Collins, R-Maine, if she votes to confirm Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, a move she likened to bribery. Liberal activist groups have posted the campaign on the platform Crowdpac, drawing supporters and critics. “Senator Collins votes NO on Kavanaugh and you will not be charged, and no money will go to fund her future opponent,” the platform wrote. “Senator Collins votes YES on Kavanaugh and your pledge will go to her opponent's campaign, once that opponent has been identified.”

I doubt I'll see any condemnation from the left on this, but damn, this is lunacy. You can't do things like this. If you think this is alright, you have some issues with regard to your moral compass. I hope this is investigated, and prosecuted as a bribe and extortion.

SMFH.

Bribe and extortion? Do you not know how politics works?

If a politician does not represent you as you expect or want, it is reasonable to not support that politician with votes or money, or possibly support someone that runs against that politician.

You may not like how these activists are choosing to voice their opinion, but it is their right just the same.

The freedoms of others does not and should not have one bit of concern about those that sit high in ivory towers and look down on others through their perceived "moral" superiority".

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

why is it lunacy?

Oh Silly, if anyone was to get this one, it should be you. Living it daily gives you an amazing perspective.

lu·na·cy
ˈlo͞onəsē/Submit noun the state of being a lunatic; insanity (not in technical use). "it has been suggested that originality demands a degree of lunacy" synonyms: insanity, madness, mental illness, dementia, mania, psychosis; informalcraziness "originality demands a degree of lunacy" extreme folly or eccentricity. plural noun: lunacies "such an economic policy would be sheer lunacy" synonyms: folly, foolishness, stupidity, silliness, idiocy, madness, recklessness, foolhardiness, imprudence, irresponsibility; informalcraziness "the lunacy of gambling"

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Weren't they always? Wasn't that what entitlement plans were really for all along?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Pretty sure that's illegal...

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 29 › § 597
18 U.S. Code § 597 - Expenditures to influence voting

Whoever makes or offers to make an expenditure to any person, either to vote or withhold his vote, or to vote for or against any candidate; and

Whoever solicits, accepts, or receives any such expenditure in consideration of his vote or the withholding of his vote—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Other than the fact that it's crowd funded how is different from the NRA funding opponents of pro gun control candidates or environmental groups funding opponents of pro fracking candidates?

If money in politics is wrong the surely all money in politics is wrong. At least this is honest and in the open about it.

I'd say the part where she has to vote a certain way, in order to get the desired outcome.

bribe
brīb/Submit verb 1. persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement. "an undercover agent bribed the judge into giving a lenient sentence" synonyms: buy off, pay off, suborn; More

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

It's certainly part of what Johnson did to bribe voters. A social net is not a terrible concept. Bit the way we do it certainly is.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I'd say the part where she has to vote a certain way, in order to get the desired outcome.

bribe
brīb/Submit verb 1. persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement. "an undercover agent bribed the judge into giving a lenient sentence" synonyms: buy off, pay off, suborn; More

You mean exactly like lobbyist and the threat of your opponent getting more funding if you don't vote a certain way?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

bribe

Again how is that different from lobbying that goes on every day? You think NRA or environmental groups don't link support based on how people vote?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

Whoever makes or offers to make an expenditure to any person, either to vote or withhold his vote, or to vote for or against any candidate; and

Whoever solicits, accepts, or receives any such expenditure in consideration of his vote or the withholding of his vote—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

That applies to people trying to pay others for their vote. It does not apply to giving money to politicians for their campaign based on their support for particular issues.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

bribe

Again how is that different from lobbying that goes on every day? You think NRA or environmental groups don't link support based on how people vote?

The NRA has an entire grading system based on exactly just that.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

That applies to people trying to pay others for their vote. It does not apply to giving money to politicians for their campaign based on their support for particular issues.

Upon reading it again you may be right. I think the money has to go directly to the person doing the voting. Either way it's kinda sketchy in my opinion.

link   
a reply to: introvert

So if I understand you right, this is acceptable behavior and just fine to do business like this?

link   

originally posted by: DJW001

www.foxnews.com...

A crowdfunding campaign has raised over $1 million as of Tuesday for the opponent of Senator Susan Collins, R-Maine, if she votes to confirm Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, a move she likened to bribery. Liberal activist groups have posted the campaign on the platform Crowdpac, drawing supporters and critics. “Senator Collins votes NO on Kavanaugh and you will not be charged, and no money will go to fund her future opponent,” the platform wrote. “Senator Collins votes YES on Kavanaugh and your pledge will go to her opponent's campaign, once that opponent has been identified.”

I doubt I'll see any condemnation from the left on this, but damn, this is lunacy. You can't do things like this. If you think this is alright, you have some issues with regard to your moral compass. I hope this is investigated, and prosecuted as a bribe and extortion.

SMFH.

Your title is exactly wrong. They are not "bribing people for their votes." They are raising funds for a candidate... legally. They are also warning the incumbent that those funds might not go to her opponent if she follows the will of the voters. That is how lobbying works.

Like I said, your moral compass points the wrong way. BAMN.

Moral compass? What does morality have to do with legality? Just because I pointed out that lobbying is legal does not mean I support it. Are you okay with money being laundered through the NRA? Is that moral? If it's American money it's legal. You are the one with the skewed moral compass. BAMN!

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

you don't understand what BAMN is do you?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Please, don't let the facts hit you in the head leftists. One good thing if you do, we might get a good laugh. But I want to come together with logic (a pipe dream I know Dude).

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

End lobbying. This happens everyday

link   

originally posted by: introvert

Upon reading it again you may be right. I think the money has to go directly to the person doing the voting. Either way it's kinda sketchy in my opinion.

Correct. It's about paying people if they vote a certain way. Not about politicians voting a certain way on certain issues.

link   

bribe

You are confusing a bribe with a threat. They are not "bribing" Collins, they are threatening her. On the other hand giving taxpayer money to farmers who are hurt by your policies to keep their votes would be a bribe. But only a corrupt swamp creature would do that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join