It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mid Term Elections... my perspective.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
For me, I am riding the blue wave to provide enough opposition to the Uber conservative justices Trump is trying to put in the Supreme Court. It’s an important issue to me, because it will affect generations to come.

Unlike some, I am not only concerned for myself, but am also concerned for my fellow Americans and what’s best for them, especially those who are disadvantaged in some way.

The healthcare issue hasn’t affected me too much personally, because my husband’s employer pays our premiums, and because my health remains good and I haven’t needed to spend tons on medical bills. I am concerned though, for the millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions, and those who aren’t able to afford healthcare other than with something like Obamacare. Obamacare does need a lot of fixes, but doing away with it altogether is not a good idea for everyone.

The economy is good enough for those of us with good-paying jobs, but not so good for those who work minimum wage jobs. Some don’t care about those people, but I do. Raising those wages a bit will help - and Republicans simply won’t do it.

If one is doing fairly well financially, and only cares about themselves, I can see why you would support Trump and the Republicans. I am doing fairly well financially, but I care about others who aren’t, so I don’t support Trump or Republicans.

And there it is... if I only care about myself, my family and my community I must somehow be a bad person.

You do realize that in order to help those around you, you must first be able to take care of yourself?

Oh wait... you believe that big government needs to do that for you.

But enough about you judging someone you don't know... so you are saying that your biggest fear is that enough SC judges will be seated that liberals can no longer make law from the bench?

Because that isn't the Supreme Court's job, no matter how badly Progressives need that.

Your attitude reminded me again why I left the Democratic party.

Thank you... it gives me something to think about as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

My opinion is that the leftists will win the midterms, hate will continue on both sides, because that is what DC wants.

If we're too busy killing ourselves, we can't burn down DC.

Nothing will change. For a brief moment in time I had hopes with Trump, but the leftist ideology is too entrenched in DC. They made a mistake by letting Trump win. They won't make that same mistake again.

You seemed to have perfectly channeled my pessimistic (or is it realistic?) side.

However, being an eternal pessimist is a drain on the soul, so sometimes I TRY to be optimistic about the future of our country.

I just don't realistically see, going forward, where the Democratic party fits in anywhere as a positive.

So far on this thread I haven't been given a single reason to vote for Democrats.

Besides one poster that thinks that if I don't then I am a bad selfish person because I believe that self-reliance is bad for the collective.

Well, it is.

edit on 12-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

In order to have an honest election, the democrats would have to run on higher taxes, open borders and bigger government.

Period.

Now what rational person actually wants that?

So they lie.

But don't get me wrong, republicans are just as big a liars as democrats.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

We all know that justices tend to view the Constitution through their own eyes according to their personal ideology. They are human after all. I don’t think anyone can deny that. Ruth Bader Ginsburg does it. Scalia did it. If you have a Supreme Court dominated by conservative justices, they will find ways to interpret the Constitution to come up with a ruling that fits their ideology. Same thing when there is a liberal majority of justices. What we ideally need is a Supreme Court filled with moderates, or, with an equal number of conservative and liberal justices, and one tie-breaker who tends to be a true moderate. We had that before Trump came along and promised to fill the Court with as many Uber conservatives as he could. You may not have a problem with that, but I do.

I don’t see any reason why one cannot take care of themselves and still be looking out for those who can’t. I try to do just that very thing. I do it in my every day life, and with how I vote.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
So for the Democrats on ATS... can anyone give me any reason why I should wander back into the party? Because it seems that it no longer represents anyone that I know or care about. It certainly does not represent me anymore.

Why should there be a blue wave? What would it accomplish?

I ask this earnestly. I would like an opposing viewpoint. I want to think about both sides before I wander into the voting box.

I'm going to be honest with you. If you honestly can't see a reason to vote against the GOP and Trump in the mid-terms and vote Democrat then nothing I or any other liberal says to you will change your perspective. If you think Trump did a good job then vote GOP. That's your right. But if you truly want an answer to this question, then you are going to have to go read a bunch of left leaning news sources with an open mind to get a better liberal/democratic perspective. Do you want to do that or are those sources "fake news" to you?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I’m not a registered Democrat, but I can tell you what I vote for:

Less tax breaks for the very rich, a faster, easier way for honest, hardworking immigrants to become citizens (so they don’t have to sneak over here), and a government that truly works for ALL the people, not just the privileged ones.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Less tax breaks for the very rich, a faster, easier way for honest, hardworking immigrants to become citizens (so they don’t have to sneak over here), and a government that truly works for ALL the people, not just the privileged ones.

How long have you been voting?
edit on 12-9-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Since it was legal for me to vote, why?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Trump guy. I never thought too much about the direct impact that a President had on my personal life until Obama. I lost my health care under him. It was just too expensive to keep up. This is coming from someone that didn't have to pay the penalty... but my health care costs quintupled.

Obama also directly influenced my job. I work in the oil field. My company should be considered a "green" job... what I do is reduce the emissions from wellsite flares by 80% or so and in return for doing that make a product (NGL) that I can take to market and sell.

However, even being green in the oil field wasn't enough... we were strangled by new regulations that were forcing us out of the business of making emissions better. It was crazy.

Then this Trump guy got in. Within a year, I had health care again, I have more money in my pocket and I can't keep up with the business side of things because I have so many new clients that we have had to throttle back our expansion because we cannot hire people fast enough.

So now we are coming into the mid terms. My former party has gone so far left that I don't even recognize the party anymore. For the working class? PPhhtt... as far as I can tell they want to take back anything I have gone forward in and then tax me more to take care of illegal aliens. My employees are secondary, I guess.

I don't care about the typical wedge issues that other people seem to be on fire about. First priority to me is taking care of my family, taking care of my employees and trying to have enough freedom (free time and money) in my life to do the things I want to do.

I am deeply concerned about what seems to me to be the weaponization or our intelligence communities... to the point that it seems clearer and clearer that they actually tried to fix the last election in favor of the Democrats.

So now we are ready to vote again, to change the senate and house to something different or not. Seems to me we are doing just fine under the current President... so why vote in a bunch of Democrats to make that go away?

So for the Democrats on ATS... can anyone give me any reason why I should wander back into the party? Because it seems that it no longer represents anyone that I know or care about. It certainly does not represent me anymore.

Why should there be a blue wave? What would it accomplish?

I ask this earnestly. I would like an opposing viewpoint. I want to think about both sides before I wander into the voting box.

This Trump guy? Come on man. It's obvious that you are just another Trump apologist in disguise.
Every single one of these cirkle jerk threads start with the OP telling us how he voted democrat before.. All the talkingpoints in the thread are "sponsored" by Fox News.
But # it. I'll play along.
If the economy really is doing so great and MAGA is right around the corner than the GOP, Trump and Trump bootlickers have nothing to fear. Right?
We can expect a GOP landslide win if it's all that great.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Has it ever made a difference?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

So it really does not matter if someone votes Democrat or Republican, or independent, as long as we make sure that the candidate we vote for is honest, has a clean background and history and is willing to be perfectly transparent in all things they do.

Has this ever happened?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

This Trump guy? Come on man. It's obvious that you are just another Trump apologist in disguise.
Every single one of these cirkle jerk threads start with the OP telling us how he voted democrat before.. All the talkingpoints in the thread are "sponsored" by Fox News.
If the economy really is doing so great and MAGA is right around the corner than the GOP, Trump and Trump bootlickers have nothing to fear. Right?

Your post spews venom and pure hatred at a level not seen before, but seems to be common from the left these days...

edit on 12-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Has it ever made a difference?

Some. We now have healthcare for people with pre-existing conditions - we didn’t have that before (looks like Trump is working to do away with that, last I heard). There were guidelines in place for how to treat young trans people in public schools fairly (but Trump’s administration got rid of that pretty quick). Trans people were recently allowed to serve in the military (Trump tried to put the kibosh on that too). We were setting up ways for children to stay here who were brought over here from Mexico illegally as babies, and who have lived all their lives here, gone to school here, worked here, are raising their own families here. (We know how Trump/Republicans feel about THAT). We had laws that helped to prevent massive pollution/climate change/degradation of the planet.

All these things were things I wanted. Most of them have been taken away with the Trump administration. But, I stay optimistic, and keep on votin’.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

So when 50% of the country pays little or no federal taxes who should get tax breaks? We have more immigration today than any other time in our history...

Just seems that your desires are all talking points from the left that in most cases is just propaganda with little substance.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Some. We now have healthcare for people with pre-existing conditions - we didn’t have that before (looks like Trump is working to do away with that, last I heard).

Obamacare was a known failed system on day one. Trump has talked about keeping "pre-existing conditions" so not sure what you are talking about.

Trump said he would sign if they put forth a bill....Congress failed to do so...

There were guidelines in place for how to treat young trans people in public schools fairly (but Trump’s administration got rid of that pretty quick). Trans people were recently allowed to serve in the military (Trump tried to put the kibosh on that too).

Seems to be the flavor of the week... It will all work itself out over time...with or without Trump. Personally I get tired of the whole Trans people event in we are talking about an extremely small percentage of society, I agree we need to ensure they have rights, but I don't really want it all to be front page daily...Or pushed to a Presidential priority compared to many other important matters.

We were setting up ways for children to stay here who were brought over here from Mexico illegally as babies, and who have lived all their lives here, gone to school here, worked here, are raising their own families here. (We know how Trump/Republicans feel about THAT). We had laws that helped to prevent massive pollution/climate change/degradation of the planet.

Trump just about begged both sides of congress to put something in front of him to sign...

edit on 12-9-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

So when 50% of the country pays little or no federal taxes who should get tax breaks?

Some of those 50% are the very rich who got tons of tax shelters and tax write offs, to the point that they paid very little taxes. It may be legal, but it’s not okay.

We have more immigration today than any other time in our history...

Ha, ha - we had 100% immigration at the beginning of this country! You can’t get more than that! The fact is, it is more expensive and takes longer to become a citizen now then it ever has before in our history.

Just seems that your desires are all talking points from the left that in most cases is just propaganda with little substance.

Back at ya.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Kharron, we've almost never seen eye to eye on anything here. But I wanted to chime in and tell you that your reply has given me a new perspective on your posts. I also wanted to tell you I respect you for that point of view

If it did, we would not be hearing about the same issues and the same promises election after election -- it just means that whatever side managed to swindle the most people gets to help themselves and their friends for a while.

I believe we need to focus on what makes a man or a woman, what makes a person -- values and integrity. We need to hold those that run for office to the highest standard, regardless of what side they are on. If a person is worthy of our respect and does what they say, and act with kindness, then it really does not matter what side they represent -- they will do better because of who they are.

So it really does not matter if someone votes Democrat or Republican, or independent, as long as we make sure that the candidate we vote for is honest, has a clean background and history and is willing to be perfectly transparent in all things they do.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The fact is, it is more expensive and takes longer to become a citizen now then it ever has before in our history.

As it should. Immigration is all about what immigrants can do for this country, not what it can do for them. Our population is already large enough to accomplish our national goals (in fact, it is too large to provide for.. hence starvation, homeless, lack of insurance, etc). Therefore, we can afford to be very selective about who is granted entry and who is not.

Again, a completely blind merit based system would be objectively "fair" while still allowing our national interest to overtake the interests of those attempting to immigrate.

a faster, easier way for honest, hardworking immigrants to become citizens

I missed this part entirely. That is exactly my point with what I wrote above. "Honest, hardworking" is the key

edit on 9/12/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Some of those 50% are the very rich who got tons of tax shelters and tax write offs, to the point that they paid very little taxes. It may be legal, but it’s not okay.

They don't pay "little to no" taxes. They're already paying hundreds of times the dollar amount as an average earner. Why should they be excessively burdened? You have the right to earn money without someone else trying to get their grubby hands on it.

My money is my property, your money is your property. You aren't entitled to my money, and I'm not entitled to yours. If you choose to share with me, great. If I choose to share with you, great. But forcing me to give you X% of my money under threat of State violence is what isn't acceptable or "OK"

Expecting the wealthy to pay such a large gross percentage of tax is also not "OK"
edit on 9/12/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

Your post spews venom and pure hatred at a level not seen before, but seems to be common from the left these days...

Oh, its been seen plenty. Every nimrod with a case of the feels is happy to force their views upon you. No discussion, no gathering of ideas. Simple right, wrong, human, subhuman.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join