It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mid Term Elections... my perspective.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying that I have voted on both sides of the aisle throughout my voting life. I come from a family that has always voted Democrat no matter what, until Obama scared some family members after his first term to reconsider what they were voting for. I am the weird one in that I vote based on the candidate, be it local or federal.

I didn't vote for Bush in his first term but did for the second. I voted for Obama the first term but not the second. The last Presidential election I didn't vote at all... both candidates to me were too flawed. I would have gone with a Cruz or a Paul. I am... evolving.

That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Trump guy. I never thought too much about the direct impact that a President had on my personal life until Obama. I lost my health care under him. It was just too expensive to keep up. This is coming from someone that didn't have to pay the penalty... but my health care costs quintupled.

Obama also directly influenced my job. I work in the oil field. My company should be considered a "green" job... what I do is reduce the emissions from wellsite flares by 80% or so and in return for doing that make a product (NGL) that I can take to market and sell.

However, even being green in the oil field wasn't enough... we were strangled by new regulations that were forcing us out of the business of making emissions better. It was crazy.

Then this Trump guy got in. Within a year, I had health care again, I have more money in my pocket and I can't keep up with the business side of things because I have so many new clients that we have had to throttle back our expansion because we cannot hire people fast enough.

So now we are coming into the mid terms. My former party has gone so far left that I don't even recognize the party anymore. For the working class? PPhhtt... as far as I can tell they want to take back anything I have gone forward in and then tax me more to take care of illegal aliens. My employees are secondary, I guess.

I don't care about the typical wedge issues that other people seem to be on fire about. First priority to me is taking care of my family, taking care of my employees and trying to have enough freedom (free time and money) in my life to do the things I want to do.

I am deeply concerned about what seems to me to be the weaponization or our intelligence communities... to the point that it seems clearer and clearer that they actually tried to fix the last election in favor of the Democrats.

So now we are ready to vote again, to change the senate and house to something different or not. Seems to me we are doing just fine under the current President... so why vote in a bunch of Democrats to make that go away?

So for the Democrats on ATS... can anyone give me any reason why I should wander back into the party? Because it seems that it no longer represents anyone that I know or care about. It certainly does not represent me anymore.

Why should there be a blue wave? What would it accomplish?

I ask this earnestly. I would like an opposing viewpoint. I want to think about both sides before I wander into the voting box.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

It appears that I have made a dead thread.

So at least it has answered my question on voting in the mid terms...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

You did not give even a full hour before admitting defeat. You posted at a low activity time.
11 pm east coast time I've seen a sharp decline in posts that pick up again around 6 am east coast time.
Give it time lady.

On topic: Even the rabid Hillary supporters I work with are disappointed that the Dem's have nothing to offer policy wise.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

It appears that I have made a dead thread.

So at least it has answered my question on voting in the mid terms...

They are waiting for instructions.

Your questions are difficult.

🤷

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Lumenari, we often don't see eye to eye but your question is honest and I will offer my honest opinion as well.

I feel it is wrong to vote for what either side promises, as we all know those promises are most often only used as bait and then broken. Yes, people do vote for what they hear, but how often does any of that actually come to fruition?

If it did, we would not be hearing about the same issues and the same promises election after election -- it just means that whatever side managed to swindle the most people gets to help themselves and their friends for a while.

I believe we need to focus on what makes a man or a woman, what makes a person -- values and integrity. We need to hold those that run for office to the highest standard, regardless of what side they are on. If a person is worthy of our respect and does what they say, and act with kindness, then it really does not matter what side they represent -- they will do better because of who they are.

So it really does not matter if someone votes Democrat or Republican, or independent, as long as we make sure that the candidate we vote for is honest, has a clean background and history and is willing to be perfectly transparent in all things they do.

If we ever get to a point where we need to make excuses for someone, it's the wrong person.

We need to go back to core values and morals, back to honor.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Wait?
I thought you did not support Trump?
Now I'm very confused. . .

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
Let me preface this by saying that I have voted on both sides of the aisle throughout my voting life. I come from a family that has always voted Democrat no matter what, until Obama scared some family members after his first term to reconsider what they were voting for. I am the weird one in that I vote based on the candidate, be it local or federal.

I didn't vote for Bush in his first term but did for the second. I voted for Obama the first term but not the second. The last Presidential election I didn't vote at all... both candidates to me were too flawed. I would have gone with a Cruz or a Paul. I am... evolving.

That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Trump guy. I never thought too much about the direct impact that a President had on my personal life until Obama. I lost my health care under him. It was just too expensive to keep up. This is coming from someone that didn't have to pay the penalty... but my health care costs quintupled.

Obama also directly influenced my job. I work in the oil field. My company should be considered a "green" job... what I do is reduce the emissions from wellsite flares by 80% or so and in return for doing that make a product (NGL) that I can take to market and sell.

However, even being green in the oil field wasn't enough... we were strangled by new regulations that were forcing us out of the business of making emissions better. It was crazy.

Then this Trump guy got in. Within a year, I had health care again, I have more money in my pocket and I can't keep up with the business side of things because I have so many new clients that we have had to throttle back our expansion because we cannot hire people fast enough.

So now we are coming into the mid terms. My former party has gone so far left that I don't even recognize the party anymore. For the working class? PPhhtt... as far as I can tell they want to take back anything I have gone forward in and then tax me more to take care of illegal aliens. My employees are secondary, I guess.

I don't care about the typical wedge issues that other people seem to be on fire about. First priority to me is taking care of my family, taking care of my employees and trying to have enough freedom (free time and money) in my life to do the things I want to do.

I am deeply concerned about what seems to me to be the weaponization or our intelligence communities... to the point that it seems clearer and clearer that they actually tried to fix the last election in favor of the Democrats.

So now we are ready to vote again, to change the senate and house to something different or not. Seems to me we are doing just fine under the current President... so why vote in a bunch of Democrats to make that go away?

So for the Democrats on ATS... can anyone give me any reason why I should wander back into the party? Because it seems that it no longer represents anyone that I know or care about. It certainly does not represent me anymore.

Why should there be a blue wave? What would it accomplish?

I ask this earnestly. I would like an opposing viewpoint. I want to think about both sides before I wander into the voting box.

I will be pushing for a red wave in November so I won't be much help to answer your question from my perspective as a Trump supporter. I do applaud you however for a well presented thread. S&F. Thank you!

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Wait?
I thought you did not support Trump?
Now I'm very confused. . .

Something I said reminded you of Trump?

Was it the honest, clean background and willing to be transparent part? Or perhaps it was the acting with kindness part?

My opinion is we don't have anyone who passes that standard, no one in our recent past and no one presently in office or in the current political sphere in general. And if any of the current politicians, on either side, had two years like Trump has had, we would have devoured all of them. And we would have found dirt on all of them. The past presidents are lucky there was no internet during their time.

I think we need a complete change -- look totally outside the box. No current or past politicians, no lawyers what so ever, no people with a lot of established connections and motives.

I think we need to look for people like Nobel laureates, multiple PhDs in science, leading philosophers or someone of that nature. With a clean past and a strong intellect that can process information presented and think rationally, and without motive. I guarantee you that any person like that could sit at the debriefings, absorb all that and make the right choice, the same as a businessman or an attorney can.

Why not give it a try, # hasn't been working very well so far -- we can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

You still view the world with rose-tinted glasses.

I don't know if it's naivety, blindness, or a mixed combination of emotions portrayed into thoughts, but what you describe will never happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I believe we need to focus on what makes a man or a woman, what makes a person -- values and integrity. We need to hold those that run for office to the highest standard, regardless of what side they are on. If a person is worthy of our respect and does what they say, and act with kindness, then it really does not matter what side they represent -- they will do better because of who they are.

In reality, that kind of person wouldn't want to subject themselves to our corrupt government. Maybe if we had term limits that guaranteed ousting the corruption here and there, it would welcome more good people in.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I think we need to look for people like Nobel laureates, multiple PhDs in science, leading philosophers or someone of that nature.

The last thing we need is a bunch of brainiacs with no common sense.

We need a combination of ethical lawyers (who already know and understand the law) and good businessmen.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
normally i would be with you. i have always made my decisions based on the people running and not the party. yet the last many years have shown that certain parties are becoming more and more dangerous, not just in the US, but in Canada and Europe as well. it seems that liberal has lost it's meaning, and becoming more like Fascists. and are creating dangerous situations in their virtue signalling policies. as well as seemingly working to destroy their countries with what they do. it doesn't matter if it's the democrats in the US, the liberal party in Canada, or other liberal leaning parties around the world. so while unfortunately i still feel that we should be voting for the specific people running, that is being stifled by the need to keep liberal ideological parties such as the democrats out of having any political power due to the danger to the country they represent.
edit on 12-9-2018 by generik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Your requirements are completely unachievable and very dangerous.
"somebody who can think rationally without motive". If there is no motive then what the hell would you be voting for?
Your candidate wouldn't do anything. It would just sit in it's office in a state of coma. I guess a computer might work?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

*our

I can't imagine how you're going to feel when you suddenly have verified that the United Kingdoms GCHQ and likely Australias ASIO where also 'activated' (read: already politically weaponized since late 70's/early 80's) to assist in getting the witch onto the throne.

Remember - they were so high & mighty they never thought she would NEVER lose.

Americas sovereignty was about to be pimped out to the highest bidder, then came Trump. The rest is history so choose wisely come November - don't vote democrat otherwise you're voting for intolerant bigoted racism and hatred.

Obamas 8 year clusterflux of a trainwreck being a testament to this fact. You dodged a bullet with Hillary losing, remember that as well as you go to the polling booth to cast your vote.
edit on 12/9/2018 by Sublimecraft because:
- she lost. Something democrats simply cannot reconcile with reality therefore everyone is a racist (yawn)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Me Personally? I would stay away from the blue.

I've been all over the place; I was a Republican at first because I liked the word better. Then, I voted blue because the policies seemed very...... Nice. Notice I did not say plausible or possible - which led me to my current political stance of "voting based on the person".

My entire family (which is a Union family, nonetheless, has turned away from the Democratic party. They no longer stand for the people in any way shape or form. Every platform is based on hatred, race, and dozens of fabricated problems that they can't wait to impose an imaginary cure for.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
For me, I am riding the blue wave to provide enough opposition to the Uber conservative justices Trump is trying to put in the Supreme Court. It’s an important issue to me, because it will affect generations to come.

Unlike some, I am not only concerned for myself, but am also concerned for my fellow Americans and what’s best for them, especially those who are disadvantaged in some way.

The healthcare issue hasn’t affected me too much personally, because my husband’s employer pays our premiums, and because my health remains good and I haven’t needed to spend tons on medical bills. I am concerned though, for the millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions, and those who aren’t able to afford healthcare other than with something like Obamacare. Obamacare does need a lot of fixes, but doing away with it altogether is not a good idea for everyone.

The economy is good enough for those of us with good-paying jobs, but not so good for those who work minimum wage jobs. Some don’t care about those people, but I do. Raising those wages a bit will help - and Republicans simply won’t do it.

If one is doing fairly well financially, and only cares about themselves, I can see why you would support Trump and the Republicans. I am doing fairly well financially, but I care about others who aren’t, so I don’t support Trump or Republicans.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Lumenari, we often don't see eye to eye but your question is honest and I will offer my honest opinion as well.

I feel it is wrong to vote for what either side promises, as we all know those promises are most often only used as bait and then broken. Yes, people do vote for what they hear, but how often does any of that actually come to fruition?

If it did, we would not be hearing about the same issues and the same promises election after election -- it just means that whatever side managed to swindle the most people gets to help themselves and their friends for a while.

So it really does not matter if someone votes Democrat or Republican, or independent, as long as we make sure that the candidate we vote for is honest, has a clean background and history and is willing to be perfectly transparent in all things they do.

If we ever get to a point where we need to make excuses for someone, it's the wrong person.

We need to go back to core values and morals, back to honor.

Thank you for an honest reply.

However, I prefer results to personally liking someone.

For instance, I have two employees that I cannot stand. Their personal viewpoints on things I find repugnant, they are crude, crass and just irritating.

I once had a dream of backing over one of them with my work truck. I woke up feeling horrible about it, but had a smile on my face the whole day.

THAT being said, if I have to scale down my company again to next to nothing, it will be me and those two left.

Because, at the end of the day, they deliver. Always, 24/7 they give me 110% of what I ask.

I kind of feel about Trump the same way.

I do wish that the Democratic party become actual liberals again. I feel that there needs to be a balance in our government. I am a social liberal, fiscal conservative. I feel a lot of people, deep down, are the same way.

Last Presidential election we had the battle of the scumbags.

The one that won appears to be making things better economically, at least.

Again, thank you for an honest answer. I always try to clear the partisan fog out of my head before an election and try to vote based on merit.

This time it is... hard.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
normally i would be with you. i have always made my decisions based on the people running and not the party. yet the last many years have shown that certain parties are becoming more and more dangerous, not just in the US, but in Canada and Europe as well. it seems that liberal has lost it's meaning, and becoming more like Fascists. and are creating dangerous situations in their virtue signalling policies. as well as seemingly working to destroy their countries with what they do. it doesn't matter if it's the democrats in the US, the liberal party in Canada, or other liberal leaning parties around the world. so while unfortunately i still feel that we should be voting for the specific people running, that is being stifled by the need to keep liberal ideological parties such as the democrats out of having any political power due to the danger to the country they represent.

And there is the problem in a nutshell, I suppose.

I do not like having to vote for a PARTY.

I feel I am not being given any real choice anymore.

I blame my old party on that, because they have morphed into something that I personally cannot get behind.

Perhaps them being out of power long enough will make them focus and change their platform.

I just don't see that happening though. They have taken what has made them lose elections the past three cycles and have just doubled down on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Me Personally? I would stay away from the blue.

I've been all over the place; I was a Republican at first because I liked the word better. Then, I voted blue because the policies seemed very...... Nice. Notice I did not say plausible or possible - which led me to my current political stance of "voting based on the person".

My entire family (which is a Union family, nonetheless, has turned away from the Democratic party. They no longer stand for the people in any way shape or form. Every platform is based on hatred, race, and dozens of fabricated problems that they can't wait to impose an imaginary cure for.

My family is in the same boat. They have pretty much voted as a block for Democrats since the 30's.

Now everyone is... what did my Grandmother call it... a "dirty Republican".

They would rather vote for an ideology they don't really care for than the Democrats.

It has been odd to watch, to be honest.

What does it take to make an extended family of 70 or so, most of them living in California, just #WalkAway?

I think the Democratic party needs a complete overhaul because they are rapidly heading into obscurity.

And with their current platform and ideology, rightly so.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The midterm elections. . . my perspective.

Hate is a powerful tool, it's a great vehicle for a message. Any message.

Dress up an unpopular aspect of an ideology, sell it with irrational hate and "ta-daaa!" you got you higher taxes, your fewer freedoms passed.

If there ever was a time to discuss rational election outcomes, those days have long passed.

We're not dealing with rational thinking any more.

Sure, the economy is better, unemployment is down, taxes are lower, more people are working and earning more, government restrictions are fewer.

Those are all metrics that are easily understood and measured.

But no one deals with that any more.

Trump is a Russian!

Kavanaugh will kill women!

The republicans just gave you scraps!

We're dealing with people who think it's okay to knock down statues, oppose differing views with violence, those who laud communism and bigger government, those who applaud corrupt DOJ, FBI, IRS officials.

And their message is working because we have a media that is almost entirely ideologically driven.

Truth, honesty, integrity are just hard words on a crossword puzzle.

My opinion is that the leftists will win the midterms, hate will continue on both sides, because that is what DC wants.

If we're too busy killing ourselves, we can't burn down DC.

Nothing will change. For a brief moment in time I had hopes with Trump, but the leftist ideology is too entrenched in DC. They made a mistake by letting Trump win. They won't make that same mistake again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join