It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 incidents of violence or threats against Republicans recently and the double standard from many

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
So as this thread shows, there was a threat of a mass shooting at a MAGA event

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A wyoming GOP building was just set on fire.

dailycaller.com...

And most seriously, a man attempted to stab a republican running for office in California with a switch blade while yelling obscenities about Trump.

A Castro Valley man shouting profanities about President Trump attacked a Republican congressional candidate who was working an election booth at a town festival, threatening him and trying to stab him with a switchblade, authorities and the candidate said Tuesday.

Sheriff’s deputies responded at about 3:45 p.m. to a report of a possible knife attack at the festival on Castro Valley Boulevard. According to officials, witnesses told deputies that Fazeli approached Peters in an “aggressive manner” at his booth, and made “disparaging remarks” about the GOP and “elected officials.”

“All of a sudden we hear someone screaming, “F— Trump, f— Trump!” Peters recalled. He said the man raised his middle finger and was “standing right in front of the booth.”

Peters had been sitting with Joseph Grcar, a Republican state Assembly candidate. He said they were both “kind of shocked” by the outburst, but that the man seemed like he was walking off. “The next thing you know,” Peters said, “he stops and turns around and says, ‘I’ll show you,’ and runs at the booth.”

Peters said the man grabbed a coffee cup from the table and threw it at him, prompting Peters to come around the table and “grab him.” Peters said he threw him to the ground before the suspect hopped back up, reached into his pocket and grabbed the switchblade.

“He’s screaming, ‘I’m gonna kill you, motherf—er!’” Peters said. “He had the knife, but the blade wouldn’t shoot out.”

www.sfchronicle.com...

Now let me say we should condemn all political violence from any side. And I understand that people of all sides have extremists; trump supporters, hillary supporters, bernie supporters, just about anyone. And we shouldnt blame the whole group for the actions of extremists.

But given the medias hyper sensitivity about how they get yelled at at trump rallies, and they now fear for their safety, and its all trumps fault, I thought we could take a moment and see just from the past couple of days and see some real violence or threats directed at Republicans or trump supporters.

And given the medias stance that trumps words are responsible for their perceived threats of safety, shouldnt that mean by the same standard they should acknowledge their blame for these incidents?

Now I dont personally blame the media or trump for violence such as this; the people committing the violence are responsible.

But I do think both sides, trump and the media, need to tone down their rhetoric.

However, we should hold people to the same standards they set for everyone else; so if the media and many others on the left want to blame trump for violence on the right, they should admit their hyperbolic rhetoric is responsible when the left does it.

I did a thread on the double standards regarding the scalise shooting vs. the heather heyer murder before, and sadly it seems as if not much has changed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I and many others warned of the danger of the "is it ok to punch a nazi" question that was made main stream, and how answering yes to that would lead to people identifying anyone they disagreed with as nazis, and how that would be dangerous.

Perhaps that is what we are seeing. I am sure this attempted stabber, the man who shot scalise, and the rest felt they were acting morally committing their violence because their victims were evil people.

We need to all condemn violence from all sides, and foster an environment of free speech where debates are had instead of violence, or else I feel we will see more candidates on all sides being targeted.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

For an ideology anticipating a "blue wave", there appears to be elements that aren't so confident of their success this November.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
When attacking Republicans with a knife it would be good to remember, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Most Trump followers are supporters of the 2nd amendment.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I think events like these are only accelerating . The only way I see to slow it down is make an example of a few . Throw the book at them leave them with the sentence of the couple decades . That should put the brakes on quite a few people .

They can always give them a sentence reduction later .

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A political party or movement that condones, or actively promotes violence... yeah... we call them terrorists.

ANTIFA, Aryan Brotherhood, BLM, KKK... they are all domestic terrorists, by definition.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The rhetoric is pushing actual violent events now.
The pot boils over if you keep the burner on high.
Yet I hear no self-criticism by the Left saying; "no, violence is never allowable. We don't try to injure those we disagree with."

We're waiting for someone on the Left to condemn the violence and I suspect will be for a long time.
edit on 11-9-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It comes down to, “would you rather wear an Obama shirt in the Republican part of town and talk to people or would you rather wear a Trump shirt in the Democrat part of town to talk politics”. You know who would come home bleeding right?
They should do this little experiment televised in every city in the USA to see.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
It comes down to, “would you rather wear an Obama shirt in the Republican part of town and talk to people or would you rather wear a Trump shirt in the Democrat part of town to talk politics”. You know who would come home bleeding right?
They should do this little experiment televised in every city in the USA to see.

You never hear stories of people physically assaulted for wearing Obama hats, or t-shirts.

The left has been more than happy to show their "tolerant", violent side... and the media celebrates their causes.

Violence means television ratings... violence.

Peaceful solutions make the networks snooze... but, hey... more violence sells more advertising time...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
When attacking Republicans with a knife it would be good to remember, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Most Trump followers are supporters of the 2nd amendment.

So they keep saying, its like some really want a fight.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I honestly try to avoid these sorts of threads but then every other week I seem to find myself sucked in anyway. And therein lies the sad irony.

There's this nasty feedback loop between political violence and the discussion of political violence whereby the low hanging fruit (and it's a juicy, ripe and sweet fruit) of partisan focus on specific acts of political violence only serves to feed the appetite for self-righteous tribalism that inspires more political violence and so on and so forth.

In other words, it's a trap. It's nearly impossible to have a non-partisan discussion about the topic which means that ultimately, no matter how well-intentioned the sentiment may be or the post laden with caveats, these sort of threads are inherently counterproductive.

I think the best course of action is to keep perspective on how much political violence there *actually* is with an eye toward how minor it is compared to many points in US history and avoid devoting too much attention to the propaganda about it from both ends of the spectrum.

If you want to argue that everyone needs to ctfo or that the media needs to stop using this stuff because it's like drugs to junkies, I'm all for it but it's futile to start with the approach that you're evening a partisan score imo.

Now, with that said, I'm going back to FB to watch my 70 year-old Trump-supporting uncle call some woman a "liberal f#tard" repeatedly.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
These people are just bat s*** crazy.

The republic has survived worse leadership than Donald Trump. I mean, there's a lot to not like about the guy, but then that's true of most politicians. I don't think that he's a political version of the Second Coming, but neither is he the Antichrist.

The republic can weather him just like it's weathered all the rest. What could bring it down is not him, but nutjobs like this guy. And if they do, you know they'll blame the president and all of his supporters. Because it's what they do.
:
edit on 2018 9 12 by incoserv because: there was a typo.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
*DUPLICATE POST*
edit on 2018 9 12 by incoserv because: IT DUPLICATE POSTED.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yet I hear no self-criticism by the Left saying; "no, violence is never allowable. We don't try to injure those we disagree with."

You don't hear it... where? In the right-wing echo chamber where you also don't hear any self-criticism by the Right?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I'm calling you the hammer because you nailed it.

I don't like Trump for my own reasons but i'll never nail every republican member to the cross and vice versa.

In this day in age with the 24 hour news cycle time needs to be filled and it's spawned those who spew rhetoric and hyperbole. *cough cough Alex Jones cough cough.*

The media has created a monster that is out of control, they are slowly convincing people to choose personality over policy with these constant personal attacks.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Don't forget the Democrat Professor who thought he right arm was turning Republican, so he shot it!

ATS Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Now, with that said, I'm going back to FB to watch my 70 year-old Trump-supporting uncle call some woman a "liberal f#tard" repeatedly.

at least you are consistent. Stay golden.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: theantediluvian

at least you are consistent. Stay golden.

I see sarcasm isn't your strong suit..

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

inevitably some antifa or similar idiot is going to go after the wrong Republican/conservative. someone with concealed carry who will defend himself (herself).

the media will really go berserk then. how dare this evil person defend themself! we must outlaw guns so only our side can inflict violence!

I see street thugs attacking people for political reasons and all I can think of is, how very fascitic. they aren't antifa, they're neofa.

IIRC there was a few weeks ago a debate between leftist (Maher?) and conservative (Shapiro?) and Maher just would not concede that the left was more violent. he compared to mouse and elephant, leftists being the mouse. how irrational.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I think events like these are only accelerating . The only way I see to slow it down is make an example of a few . Throw the book at them leave them with the sentence of the couple decades . That should put the brakes on quite a few people .

They can always give them a sentence reduction later .

didn't somebody just get a one day sentence for assault?

edit--his sentenced was reduced by a jury to no time served and a $1 fine

www.kcbx.org.../0

For the crime of striking "Unite the Right" organizer Jason Kessler, a Charlottesville, Va., jury says Jeffrey Winder must pay a fine of $1 — far short of the maximum possible penalty. Winder had appealed his original guilty finding, which included a 30-day jail sentence.

that won't demotivate people from political violence much
shame on that jury
that'll just embolden the antifa types
edit on 12-9-2018 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Not only do Hillary and her crew get a pass. But apparently every other Democrat in the country does too .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join