It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom in the work force, really what is it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here's the deal -

At one point, I needed the job I now have. It made ends meet. At this point? I don't think we need me to have this job nearly as much. We might be able to scrape by if I didn't have it although a lot of niceties we have would have to go away.

But at this point, my job offers some other important perks. Being only part-time, it offers scheduling flexibility, and I've been there long enough that I can more or less re-write my set schedule within reason because my bosses all know I don't abuse that privilege.

So if my parents need someone to help during a medical procedure or emergency, I can always be there. If I need to play mom suddenly, I can be there.

Plus, being part-time also allows me to work my schedule around mom business aside from sudden events.

So, no, I'm not a highly paid professional, but I'm hardly a slave. I'm at the point where I understand that I am choosing to continue on with what I am doing for all that I complain about being stuck in part-time hell.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: musicismagic

I've been self-employed my entire adult life. I haven't made a ton of money but I was at every basketball practice and game, every cheerleading event, every school event, every doctor's appointment etc.. So I may not be financially well off but I'm wealthy in many other ways.

Now imagine how much better off you'd be if you hasn't spent it all on kids. I know that's harsh but I'm not trying to attack you. It's just the kind of thing that bothers me. I don't think we need more people. I think the people who are already here deserve to live better first.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have had a successful 22 year career in the same IT track.
Never had to worry about benefits.
Never had to worry about job stability.
Just started at a company that is amazing to work for and people from all over the world try to get into.
Each time I have left 1 vertical for a different I did so when I was ready and when I made the choice.

Tell me again how I am not free?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Here's the problem with such "freedom" as you describe it: You could be the purest of spirit, but every step towards freedom is along the blade of a knife: One wrong step, and you could end up being your own worst enemy.

I don't envy those people at the top, because at one point, they all said that they wanted to do their own thing, hire the best people for the job, and be the best company (I'm sure Facebook was fun in the old days). As their employee counts soared, expenses grew, and more money comes into the market, those trivial decisions on where the company goes just got a lot harder. You become the guy everyone expects to have an answer, to know everything going on, and is now responsible for a large number of people. They all said they wanted to be free at some point, and in reality, they're more of a slave that you are.

That said, if you want to truly be free: Save up as much as you can till you can sustain yourself for a while, and get good at a hobby. In my case, I'm planning on going into instrument repair when the fun of being a code monkey wears off. Yeah, I may not have a fancy mansion, sports car or lots of bling, but at least I'll be able to put a smile on a kid's face when I fix his crushed trumpet for free without his mom finding out. That's pretty close to freedom.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

Here's the problem with such "freedom" as you describe it: You could be the purest of spirit, but every step towards freedom is along the blade of a knife: One wrong step, and you could end up being your own worst enemy.

I don't envy those people at the top, because at one point, they all said that they wanted to do their own thing, hire the best people for the job, and be the best company (I'm sure Facebook was fun in the old days). As their employee counts soared, expenses grew, and more money comes into the market, those trivial decisions on where the company goes just got a lot harder. You become the guy everyone expects to have an answer, to know everything going on, and is now responsible for a large number of people. They all said they wanted to be free at some point, and in reality, they're more of a slave that you are.

That said, if you want to truly be free: Save up as much as you can till you can sustain yourself for a while, and get good at a hobby. In my case, I'm planning on going into instrument repair when the fun of being a code monkey wears off. Yeah, I may not have a fancy mansion, sports car or lots of bling, but at least I'll be able to put a smile on a kid's face when I fix his crushed trumpet for free without his mom finding out. That's pretty close to freedom.

seems you have a like'n for the goodwill of man kind

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

The first step is like it always has been. Get a box of business cards ( A must ) and "start knocking on doors" . (Colloquialism I think )

Create a user account on Linkedin or a webpage/blog and describe the skills that you offer and want to do. Recruiters are constantly looking around for people to hire. The downside is that the positions they are trying to fill aren't a exact match to what you want to do, but it's a contact.

I'm working as a freelancer now - really couldn't go back to working in an open plan office now. The last one I was in was like trying to work in a battlefield. If it wasn't people shouting down telephones (purchase managers/sales), it was loud bangs (doors closing, boxes being dropped on the ground), squeaky toys, plus the general Dilbertness of management.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I understand your viewpoint and know you're not attacking me. I've had this same conversation with my eldest daughter several times. There's two type of people in the world, those with kids and those without. There are no words, analogies, or symbols anyone can use to show you what life with children is like. I wouldn't trade anything for having my kids. They've taught me the true meaning of love and have helped me to grow spiritually more than all of the gurus and books and other materials ever did. It's not for everyone, I get that. But my life would be much worse off if I never had kids.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I've been self employed for years now, I only work 2 or 3 days a week. I don't think I'll ever be an employee again unless I was absolutely desperate for money.
Can't moan too much being an employee in the UK though, most people only do 37 hour weeks, have six weeks paid holiday a year, statutory sick pay, and can't be fired on a whim due to strict employment laws.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Have you never heard the mantra "a fair days work for a fair days pay". If everyone had that the world would be a better place. But the criteria, wwweeelll. Who decides what a fair days work is and who decides what a fair days pay is for that work? let me just say it aint the worker. That's why we have people like Buffet, Musk, etc. etc. They all didn't earn their billions by their hard work but by their hard "workings" at getting hundreds of others working for them and creaming off the top of their wages. THAT'S called CAPITALISM.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I don't know who you were replying to but capitalism in the UK is pretty cool in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
this

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Damla
Blah happy random kids who have nothing to do with the discussion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join