It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what makes someone a racist?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Is it racist to say that white men can't jump or that black men are poor swimmers?

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc

according to mass media, white skin and outdoor plumbing.

And White Bread ... Don't Forget the White Bread !

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

Hmmm didn't I ask you that same question?

But if we're going by your definition of racism then clearly that's racist.

Although we probably need to get an Asian in to do the math.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: acackohfcc

according to mass media, white skin and outdoor plumbing.

And White Bread ... Don't Forget the White Bread !

And only yesterday I was thinking about our own family 'black sheep'

a reply to Krahzeef_Ukhar

Although we probably need to get an Asian in to do the math.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I'm beginning to feel like I'm watching an episode of Tosh.0

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Thank you for this post. This is very interesting information for me.

(post by EvaHoll removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Honestly it is all a word scam. Racism is made up by people who want to control others and think racist thoughts. They make them up. Then they convince other people to have these thoughts. Finally, they blame people for having the thoughts that they made up and propagated in the first place. It is a scam.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
I think the whole thing about racism is a complete farce. Black, yellow, pink, white, purple with blue spots, it's all irrelevant.

When did people get so uptight about a persons colour??

Simply saying something is black nowadays gets you into trouble.

Even using the term "mixed race" (which I find stupid) is "a thing" now?

Jesus? When did everybody get so freaky about race..?

A black man is a black man....end of?

Not that I ever intentionally watched the show, but I remember seeing a black woman on oprah say that when you describe yourself as non-racist by saying you respect all colors, black, white, yellow, pink, or purple with blue spots you are being racist to black people. Her reasoning is that if you are purple with blue spots you must be a space alien and comparing black people to space aliens is racist.

Apparently, all it takes to be racist is to make someone whose world revolves around skin color angry - and there you are, racist.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Are you sure that was a black woman?
That sounds a lot like Jane Elliot.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
racist = Fear of the unknown .
It is a way all animals react to another UNKNOWN animal even of the same species when the animal comes into its territorial .

First aggression over resources = food - water - mates second a out sider unknown what may happen so fear of the unknown so aggression . With humans we have a spoken langue so can state our fear in words .

all this is just over each animal human wanting its own space .

It does not matter if i showed up at your house at 1 am your first reaction would be fear your second would be aggression even THOUGH i may be the same color as you .
being another color just adds even more fear .

dont want be be racist ? Then put fear aside alest enough to find out who you fear is a good person .
PS if they are not a good person and intend you harm then by all means use aggression and do what ever needs doing .
A lion would not hesitate to kill a rivle lion no matter if he had a blond or brown main .

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Work the floor in a clothing retailer chain store in a non-white city for 1 year. I "lost" 2 of my daughters because of it. Thanks women of color.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Racism is one believing their race is superior to another and them using that belief to make other people's lives harder.

That Eddie bravo video is in poor taste and highly disrespectful. I don't know what to say about people using cultural stereotypes to make fun of a race as a whole except that it's cringey and I don't like it. I dont want to see a person of a different race dressing up as a "ching chong Chinaman" "lazy Mexican" "redneck hillbilly" "crazy extremist Muslim" etc etc I am all about laughing with me not at me and with this sort of humor at what point does it become laughing at me and not with me? It would be nice if we could all laugh at each other without getting offended but I just don't think that's possible in this political climate.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I will take it one step further. I wonder if we have racism in our dna as a defense mechanism. A sort of Hatfield vs the mcoys hatred that gets ingrained in our dna because of past wars/ skirmishes between groups. Blacks vs whites Mexicans vs whites Turks vs Greeks Muslims vs whites Jews vs Muslims etc etc etc once we can get past these grudges perhaps we can better move forward as a society.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Back when there used to be a half-dozen large hominid species roaming around, it was probably important for humans to "stick with their own kind" and avoid socializing a lot with these non-homo sapien creatures. Most creatures already have a biological imperative not to mix with other species, and we aren't all that different. So we reinforced that biological idea of not mixing with "the other" and added a social layer to it, to make is a sin or illegal or what have you. And that rejection of the other is part of racism.

The other part is what sociologists call the "Matching Hypothesis," which indicates that people find other people physically or sexually attractive if they look kind of alike. No so alike that they would be your close relatives, though.

So we have a couple of very strong biological drives pushing us away from people who are different from us, and drawing us toward those who are similar. That's going to lead to some racism.

Of course, we don't have to act on our instincts, and we can certainly get along with other types of people as long as we have a good reason to, like gaining something through trade. But we have disliking other, different people in our blood. It's hard to overcome.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
In my opinion all it takes to be racist is to accept the concept of race as anything other than bull#. If you believe in race you are a racist because simply by holding that belief you've already divided people along superficial irrelivant lines.

I will never ever buy into the "refusing to acknowledge race" makes one part of the problem bull#. It's the refusal of others to take that very same step that's part of the problem.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge race as bull# is either ignorant or has something to gain by it.

No law and no policy can be made that acts along racial lines without inherently being racist as the mere fact that it does so it both supports, emboldens and provides legitimacy to the bull#.
edit on 3/28/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

I will take it one step further. I wonder if we have racism in our dna as a defense mechanism. A sort of Hatfield vs the mcoys hatred that gets ingrained in our dna because of past wars/ skirmishes between groups. Blacks vs whites Mexicans vs whites Turks vs Greeks Muslims vs whites Jews vs Muslims etc etc etc once we can get past these grudges perhaps we can better move forward as a society.

You raise an excellent point, and likely a valid point, though like so many other characteristics and qualities, it is stronger or weaker in different individuals.

I think if the genetic tendency is reinforced by racist or hateful upbringing, then it can play out more obviously.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join