It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what makes someone a racist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: eletheia

Alrighty then, pls tell the class how many races are there, I know the list you gave , but it's only of a national ,ethnic or a broad geographical nature, what makes races biologically discrete entities.

Shrugs!!

I don't know never been interested enough to find out, doesn't mean race

doesn't exist, just gave a broad example of the differences.

Oh one more thing, while the social construct of " race" is soo not a thing ,racism is very real.

In some areas maybe ..... but its not an 'all one way' problem it happens

both ways.

However there are too many people who are continuously looking for the

opportunity to jump on some perceived slight.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

True. Google lists the top ten American inventors a black. I am sure that is slanted a bit.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Biology counts if you're honest. I live as a tiny white minority in a small island state. There is not much overt attitude to us, but you have to accept that you won't ever have a government job or a serious private job even as a citizen of long standing.
Despite the generally good relations, locals prefer to live in their own neighborhoods . Some who have a lot of contact with visitors get pretty relaxed about us. Others will always feel some discomfort. It's only biology.
I feel my minority group here is doing good for the community by bringing in higher skills and trades and teaching them to others. We also don't add to the very low crime rate.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

That's why it's a "Social Construct " not a biological thing, we can pick and choose, join or refuse or be refused as to which " race" we belong to.
edit on 14-9-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Tell that to the original Australians .......The Maori's

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha

2nd Line.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Tell that to the original Australians .......The Maori's Tell that to the original Americans ....... The now called Native Americans Tell that to the original Canadians ........The Inuits

Why do I need to tell them. They are capable of reading too. The truth is the truth is has no agenda. Would you rather certain people where lied too. Are you saying that scientific fact should not be shared with peoples of particular geographical areas.

That is disingenuous, in my book it is racist not to recognise people for what they are

How so. You tell what they are. Since you know so well. I will give you this little nut and let it sink it. There is more genetic difference between what you may call a race than between different races.

This differences are in your head. There is no such thing as race as demonstrated by science. If you want to deal with your cognitive resonance on the issue that’s your choice.

The question you should be asking yourself is why do you want so hard to put people into incorrect categorises based on your cultural bias.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: purplemer

Happy Day

edit on 14-9-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am not racist but if you take the job that I applied for or you talk in a foreign language that isn't English and I can't understand because of the accent, of course I'm going to dislike you. Even if you're British and you piss me off some way or another It's the same thing except you're a national.
I think a lot of people just like to call it out because of Egotism.
edit on 14-9-2018 by StrangeQuark96 because: said the same thing twice

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can understand it a bit after going to the Museum of Fine Art in San Antonio yesterday. It was truly quite revealing.

There were of course, several "school" groups touring the Museum. What I observed was eye opening. A typical yellow school bus, SAISD, pulls up and out files brown and black kids, nearly 100% POC. Later, 3 Chevy suburbans pull up and out comes white kids with their teachers, all wearing "St. John's Academy" and as you might expect, all the kids were white. The "Kids o'Color" (KOC) were pretty well behaved and curious. The White Kids, "WK" were subdued and nearly all looking quite stressed and tentative, and the teachers actually had trouble getting the WK to leave the lobby and start going through the exhibit rooms.

I don't know what that was all about..........but the "divide" is real and is as much about economic class as it is about race. But its obvious the economic divide is exacerbating the racial divide.
edit on 14-9-2018 by TonyS because: ETA

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
a reply to: TinySickTears

There is no racism because everyone is racist. The problem began when someone decided they could fix human nature.

I don't think it started by "Fixing" human nature. I think it started by trying to fix human nature, with another human species. Its about one species thinking they are superior to the other because of royal edicts and insanity written in a book.

Just my personal 2 cents. Wait a minute. whats two cents worth today?

Oh, yea, that's right, 2 cents is worthless today.

Carry on...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

That's true but mainly because certain people point out the trends. There are plenty of poor whites you never see. They just don't tend to concentrate in urban areas. They're out in the boonies where you wouldn't tend to see them pull up at the San Antonio Museum of Art at all ... ever. So in that sense, the poor kids of color end up with more opportunity by virtue of geography.

And having taught kids like those, they will be pretty well behaved in an environment like that because it's novel. It's when you get them back into their regular environment that the real problems begin. Even the worst behaved of those kids will tend to behave pretty well for the first few days of school until they get their feet under them and get a feel for the situation.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

That's why it's a "Social Construct " not a biological thing, we can pick and choose, join or refuse or be refused as to which " race" we belong to.

There are a fair number of innocuous words I learned when a child growing up

which years later are suddenly no longer pc. Such as crippled, blind, mohammadan,

and I guess now 'race' is going the same way...... being replaced with ethnicity.

In biology, races are genetically distinct populations within the same species;
Although humans are sometimes divided into races, the morphological variation between races is not indicative of major differences in DNA.
Ethnicity is the term for the culture of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion and customs. To be a member of an ethnic group is to conform to some or all of those practices.
Race and ethnicity can obviously overlap, but they are distinct.

www.livescience.com...

Although many Black and Asian are able to receive a transplant from
a white donor.....the best matches will come from a donor from the
same race/ethnic group.

Nature makes her own differences

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Beestie
Racism. Discrimination against a people of different colour. Funny how hypocritical racism can be.

More than that, it is hateful.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I think there is a difference between being racially aware and being racist.

I stick by the definition I already offered here, seeing other races as inferior somehow.

As an old white guy I was half raised by black people, 1950 southern negroes. I worked with them and early learned their point of view, and was instructed in what words NOT to use. One of my best friends in the army was a black dude from LA. He too instructed me in how to get along.

I am most definitely racially aware--we all are--but I am not a racist.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

I think there is a difference between being racially aware and being racist.

Yes race exists....... and should operate on a level playing field.

I stick by the definition I already offered here, seeing other races as inferior somehow.

Good definition ..... But that means assuming the other persons motive ( which

could be misjudged ) that they see themselves as superior?

As an old white guy I was half raised by black people, 1950 southern negroes. I worked with them and early learned their point of view, and was instructed in what words NOT to use. One of my best friends in the army was a black dude from LA. He too instructed me in how to get along.

Your talking the 1950's I'm not from America but yes I remember reading

about not sharing water fountains..... separate entrances.... schools....buses .....

even sex between black and white couples being illegal.

But things have moved on, and now there is legislation for equality. In fact in

some instances it could have swung too far as in having to employ for instance

30% people of colour when the population consists of 15%/20% coloured, that

isan advantage?

It seems to me that people always equate *Race* as black but there are other

races or maybe I should say nationalities?

edit on 14-9-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

If you had to pick the best basketball starting 5 how many Asians would you pick?
If you had to pick a swimming team how many black guys would you pick?
If you had to pick a Taekwondo team how may white guys would you pick?

Is it racist to say that Samoans are inferior pommel horse athletes?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

which years later are suddenly no longer pc. Such as crippled, blind, mohammadan, 

and I guess now 'race' is going the same way...... being replaced with ethnicity. 

Because it was found to be scientifically invalid, yes there are differences between different groups of people, But I'd choose the tall polish guy for a pick up over a Ba-Twa or pygmy, a Moroccan ,Ethiopian or Kenyan over a Jamaican , Ghanaian or Nigerian for long-distance.
Blacks are not less buoyant in water than whites, it's the lack of access to pools , partially spawned by racist attitudes of the past, blacks could not enter public swimming pools for fear of mixing it up, so they turned to other forms of activities like basketball.
White immigrants were kings of the boxing ring, until they moved up the social ladder and no longer had to negotiate life with their bodies.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
See this is why I think 'political correctness' has got totally out of hand.

When this is considered racist >>>>

Metropolitan Police scandal race row over ‘whiter than white'

A SENIOR police officer who used the phrase “whiter than white” during a briefing could be sacked for alleged racism. The Metropolitan Police detective superintendent, who denies any wrongdoing, has been placed on restrictive duties.

He allegedly made the remarks during a briefing to colleagues about maintaining the highest standards.

Scotland Yard received a complaint about the comment and it was referred to the watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

The detective could now face an internal investigation for gross misconduct.

A police source said: “There was no bad intent in this comment, it may have been a poor use of language, but this is not what the misconduct process is for.

“There should be informal ways of dealing with this, particularly at a time when we are so short of experienced officers.”

A spokesman for the Plain English Campaign said: “As the phrase means ‘morally beyond reproach’ and is used in that context with that intent, it seems fairly ludicrous that the officer in question is being investigated at all, let alone for ‘gross misconduct’.”

A spokesperson for the IOPC said: “I can confirm a notice of investigation has been served on an officer informing them we are investigating the alleged use of language intended to offend and that had racist undertones.

www.express.co.uk...

Over the years I have heard this innocuous figure of expression used many times,

and it has also been used to me and by me ......suddenly the 'thought police' say

its 'racist'

How is that offensive?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It’s a form of psychological warfare. You shouldn’t say X because X might trigger somebody.
Welcome to the victim culture. Idiot’s delight.
And how about this? ELIMINATE TEACHING GRAMMAR BECAUSE GRAMMAR IS RACIST...Stop all grammar.
It could give people the wrong idea. It could make them think their own ignorance of the subject reveals “a lack of education.” They could fall into a funk and think something is wrong with them.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

No, I merely offered a definition. I cannot judge the motives of other persons without a detailed discussion of the reasons for their behavior in any given REAL, not hypothetical, event.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join