It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what makes someone a racist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

My opinion? Racism, these days, is when someone conflates cultural stereotypes with skin color and/or ethnic identity. A racist is someone who acts on imagined scenarios based on aversion to those perceived cultural stereotypes. A racist doesn't necessarily have to believe they're superior, but just not "equally yoked". Separate, but equal.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Guess I'm a racist, even though in middle school my best friend, Keith Derrick , was my best friend. And he was black.

What was Martin Luther Kings words? Something about character?

I judge people pretty quick.

Based on how they act.

I can see a black man and know that he is a good, hard working person. I can see another black person and see they aren't worth my time. I can see a white man and know that he is a piece of crap. I can see a brown person and think, that is one hard working MF trying to make a better life for themselves.

I don't judge people by color, I judge people on how they act.

Like my dog, I can feel bad people and good people.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

So basically all this nonsense about white privilege is racist because it's a racial stereotype.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
I think the whole thing about racism is a complete farce. Black, yellow, pink, white, purple with blue spots, it's all irrelevant.
When did people get so uptight about a persons colour??

When the P.C. culture came into force.....

When it was realised that using the race card became advantageous.....

Simply saying something is black nowadays gets you into trouble.
Even using the term "mixed race" (which I find stupid) is "a thing" now?
Jesus? When did everybody get so freaky about race..?'

When the P.C. culture became the rule of thumb.....

When it was realised it could be advantageous using the race card.....

When Ali Gee came out with "Is it because I is black"......

A black man is a black man....end of?

Call it as it is .....The more common it gets the less P.C. it will become.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

www.urbandictionary.com...

the true deffinition is believing that one race is superior to all other. Hatred without reason of another race. ETC. SADLY today that has changed.
In todays world this is what makes you racist:
Mentioning race in any way
Not being totally politically correct
Supporting your race
Being white
Telling a racist jokes
Judging by hair color
Disliking something someone likes etc.

but what is your opinion?

# Mentioning race in any way

One cant pussy foot around a subject or something when it is a relevant issue?

# Not being totally politically correct

Political Correctness by its very name is pandering to racism

# Supporting your race

Is that any different to supporting your own particular team/friends/family?

# Being white

? ? ? You have as much control over that as being 'black' !!!

# Telling a racist jokes

A good joke is a joke not a matter of life and death. Laughter is the best medicine?

# Disliking something someone likes etc.

To lie about something so trivial is in itself pandering to P.C. and racism.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
A racist is someone who says anything about any group that 1 person finds insulting

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'll tell you something. The United States is one of the least racist nations on earth. Everyone else loves to bag on America. Spend some time in Canada. They are still treating their "First Nations" people the way the US stopped in the 1920s. They have nowhere near the autonomy of at least the larger tribes of Oklahoma and the desert southwest (USA).

France has had flat out race riots in this century.

America is about 68% white.

The European states being ripped apart by "ethnics" coming in are all 90% white.

Most "international cities" have ethnic quarters, which are monolithic and exclusive. Most American cities have a different mix every four blocks or so. Places that were known for one ethnicity are now losing that face after only a generation. Harlem has large sections that are white. Chinatown in New York is what, 8 blocks at this point? Even in the southwest, Spanish towns like El Paso are more mixed than anything else.

For all the problems that blacks in the USA endure, it's nothing like Blacks in the UK outside of London.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Hi, just chiming in. I'm a 60 old aussie. Well, about a year ago, I was raising flags on a single flag pole. Only one pole.

Anyway, the lady from the office says, "can you put this "rainbow' flag on the pole." (Provides me with a flag of that description.) I said, "Sure". So I was in possession of the "Rainbow" flag.

So, I put the National Flag on first, then the Aboriginal flag, then the Torres Strait Islander flag followed by the "Rainbow" flag. You know, all in a line. Felt pretty chuffed that I managed that. Remember, one, flag pole.

Well, as providence would have it an Indigenous representative arrived at the time.

"You got your flags wrong, aboriginal flag at top."

I said, "Dunno mate, whats the protocol here on one pole."

"Aboriginal flag first, don't be racist!"

I said, "I'm not a racist." He said, "Never said that' but your racist with that British flag at the top."

I thought, 'What The?' (This is Australia.)

Meanwhile, lady who provided the "Rainbow" flag called from the office, "Steve, Steve, put the Rainbow flag at the top aye"

I said to the aboriginal man. "You might want to talk to the boss lady." I walked away and commenced mowing. (As was my job that day apart from raising flamin flags.)

Well, look, the outcome was, truthfully. Boss lady says, "That man called me racist, all because I wanted the rainbow flag at the top."

I shrugged me shoulders, pushed the mower away.

Kind regards,
Bally

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

what makes someone a racist?

Peoples perceptions and feelings based upon their level of education, subjection to propaganda and most importantly - being first to label someone a racist before they label you one.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

A barely functional brain.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
The moment someone brings up race, that is when that person becomes racist. That's how I define it. So when someone calls something or someone else racist, I call them racist.

It has led to some colorful conversations IRL and online. Try it next time someone says it, just call them one and go with the flow after.

There is a difference. Between being " racist" and being "racial" one may make use of race as in comedy or mucking about with your boyz who may not shere the same ethnic background without extreme invectness, racist is the belief that your group have the moral, political even religious right to dominate others no matter their individual accomplishments or lack thereof.
edit on 12-9-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Sookiechacha

So basically all this nonsense about white privilege is racist because it's a racial stereotype.

Nonsense? I never said racism is nonsense. I never said that racism doesn't embrace superiority, but it doesn't necessarily need to. Believing that "God" meant for races to be kept separated and pure is as racist as believing one race is superior to another.

It's all based on aversion, in my opinion, aversion to cultural differences.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well, there is the dictionary for that question, and you could have saved yourself a few hundred words of typing by reading one.

What I will say though, is that people who think there is more than one race of human beings living on this Earth, need to be knelt down in a quiet place, and have their brain pans emptied out onto the soil by gunshot, so they can achieve something useful with their lives, like feeding the ground beneath our feet and the flora which come from it.

There is only one race, the human race. Refusal to accept that ought to be a capital offence.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
One word: conviction.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Black Entertainment Television

The fact that we are not allowed to have White Entertainment Television.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It does not help matters since the topic is taboo and all view points are not allowed to be brought to the table because people become offended when they hear anything they feel disparages their color even if it is true and backed by facts.

It is not about race but rather feelings cause people can not handle the truth.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Black Entertainment Television

The fact that we are not allowed to have White Entertainment Television.

You are allowed to do anything you want in the good Ol US of A, but to answer that question once again, do you know why there is a BET, an Ebony, an Essence, a Black Enterprise magazine, The New York Amsterdam News , Places of higher learning like HBCUs across the nation, if you don't know the when, the why or the how they came to be , then equating them with being racist is at the very least ignorant or simply disingenuous.

edit on 12-9-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Na.

It is a one way street.

We are not free to post anything we want.

It does not matter how racism came to be in order for it to be identified but what matters is having the integrity to admit it even when the truth hurts.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think the vast majority of people are not racist, but I do think a lot of people say racist things. (or do racist things)

There is a lot of ignorance when it comes to people of a difference race. There are so many incorrect stereotypes on all sides.

Some of things said and done to me have been jaw dropping. Like strangers running their fingers through my hair because they wanted to know what it felt like. Strangers asking me where I'm from. Strangers asking me why I don't have an accent, or that my English is perfect (English is my native language!) A lot of these things are out of curiosity, but some would see it as racist. The weirdest thing that people have asked me over and over is who is the minority in my family, my mom or dad. I think these are very personal private questions to ask a stranger!

I feel like a person is truly racist when they really believe they are superior to another just based on race. I think there is a little hate thrown in there too.

The problem now, is that everything is recorded and on social media. Someone can say something once but it gets seen millions of times over. If you say things that are blatantly racist online, or in a blog etc, you have to believe there is going to be backlash. It may not mean you are truly racist, but it does mean you are stupid

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, there is the dictionary for that question, and you could have saved yourself a few hundred words of typing by reading one.

What I will say though, is that people who think there is more than one race of human beings living on this Earth, need to be knelt down in a quiet place, and have their brain pans emptied out onto the soil by gunshot, so they can achieve something useful with their lives, like feeding the ground beneath our feet and the flora which come from it.

There is only one race, the human race. Refusal to accept that ought to be a capital offence.

Wait, does this include people who have been found guilty of hating on the gay community?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join