It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-X betting pool

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I am eager for this one. It will really help the economy in my neck of the woods. Always a good thing.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

That post should have said "we'll find out if today's the day after 1700EDT". A lot of people are eager for this one, but the rumor is it might not drop until next week some time.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And it looks like next week some time. Possibly Monday.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Just came across Twitter. The daily contract awards haven't been posted, so no confirmation yet.

ETA: Confirmed. It's hitting media sources now.

www.defensenews.com...

edit on 9/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Hope they didn't get egg on face...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It's hitting media sources now. The plan is to buy 351 jets, and 46 simulators, but it could go as high as 475/120.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Boeing.

The whole of Lockheed is so busy (all that hiring being rumored as "something" a few months ago) that a new contract for a new jet would probably be the straw... dromedary.. you know. Not that Lockheed is really hurting or anything. They have their redox flow battery they are sitting on (*ahem* *CFR*) and the F35 repairs. Their stock has been going up for all they have going on other than jets (like Mars), I would like to see them spend some time completing something worthwhile and put the naysayers to rest.

[Lockheed "first mission" story placed into proper thread]
edit on 27-9-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: content removed to prevent confusion on my part!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

How many T-38s do they have now? When is first delivery?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

As of 2014, there were 546. Not sure what the current count is. Contract is supposed to be for four or five initial aircraft, with IOC set for 2024. First simulator delivery in 2023.

The Boeing Co., St. Louis, Missouri, has been awarded an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract with an estimated ceiling of $9,202,568,686 for the Advanced Pilot Training aircraft and ground-based training systems. The contract provides for the anticipated delivery of 351 aircraft, 46 associated training devices, and other ancillary supplies and service (e.g., initial spares, support equipment, sustainment, and training). The contract includes the initial delivery order for engineering and manufacturing development of Advanced Pilot Training aircraft and ground-based training systems for $813,385,533. The maximum quantity of aircraft and training devices the Air Force can purchase under this indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract is 475 aircraft and 120 ground based training systems. Work will be performed in St. Louis, Missouri, and is expected to be complete by 2034. This award is the result of a competitive acquisition. Fiscal 2018 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $33,600,000 are being obligated on the first delivery order at the time of award. Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio, is the contracting activity (FA8617-18-D-6219).

dod.defense.gov...

They also got $85M for ADCPII upgrades for the F-15.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

FOC is 2034.

*head desk*

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You expected different?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It's a...trainer...sigh.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

You expected different? I mean, it is still the Pentagon.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Next big win is probably Northrop's right?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

There won't be another big one until whatever they decide to call PCA tomorrow. And that one is up for grabs. All three have significant contracts to keep them going until that drops.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Not surprised and also relatively happy with the decision.

Some thoughts:

First off this may as much of a win for Boeing as it is for their "Black Diamond" cost reduction process. While it was not as apparent with other bids, given the large numbers any sort of cost reduction would have a huge impact.

I like the SAAB mashup as well as it will allow perhaps a larger export market given the European connection.

Sweden itself flies 40 trainers and is looking to replace. It now is a no brainier that it will be the T-X. Alot of countries are interested in the Grippen which could translate to T-X sales

Japan operates 200+ T-4's and may start looking at replacing the aircraft sooner than later.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Sweden has said they will buy the aircraft if Boeing/Saab got the job.

That said, I'm not sure their Black Diamond was applied here. That was for a new composite manufacturing process, I thought. Saab produced most of the airframe, at least for the prototypes, and I am unsure of how much of that was of composites and using a Boeing process.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

SAAB is producing the aft fuselage, which appears to include the tails and stabilizers.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
Sweden has said they will buy the aircraft if Boeing/Saab got the job.

That said, I'm not sure their Black Diamond was applied here. That was for a new composite manufacturing process, I thought. Saab produced most of the airframe, at least for the prototypes, and I am unsure of how much of that was of composites and using a Boeing process.

My albeit limited understanding of BD is that it is not just about large composite structures but impacts alot of other things in terms of cost containment particularly complex parts or sub assemblies. Also, Boeing had a clean sheet design while all the others were existing aircraft really thus should have had lower upfront costs but they came in pretty close in terms of cost.

Also since it is a company funded initiative, it can allow others (like SAAB) to use the tech as well
edit on 9/27/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Yes, but composites and whatnot are actually covered under export law (ITER, even, iirc). They could share, but it might be a headache. I'm a little dubious, but possibly wrong! Boeing would want to give up something they spent a lot of money on to another company who could end up collaborating with a competitor, like Airbus.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join