It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: SR1TX

The only thing Walmart Maximizes on is stupidity to make sure that there is no mutiny at any store. I make what you pay in taxes yearly in 2 weeks.

Cheers.

You don't by leading a team...If you did you would understand what I'm saying. I don't think you even understand what 1% means...lol

I have CEO's that lead my teams. Why T F would I do anything myself? That's nonsense.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I can partly agree with you. I used to work factory work. Long hours, decent pay, but no other motivation, was treated like # and throw away garbage, and the main thing my work accomplished was allowing some overpaid asshats get a second yacht or a tenth car, or another a 32nd bathroom added to their mansion. I was miserable.

Now I'm a home healthcare worker. My pay is abysmal, but, I go home each day knowing I made the world a better place by helping someone who truly needs it. This provides me with a sense of pride, worth, and a feeling of accomplishment. At least once each day, at least one of my clients shows real true honest appreciation, and there are times where my being there has literally saved lives.

So yes, I work to get paid, but money isn't everything. I may be struggling a bit more, but I make enough to stay afloat albeit barely. My standard of living may be less economically than when working at a factory, but my mental and emotional health is far greater.
edit on 9/11/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
do workers who get piece work often work more efficiently??

Piece work maximizes volume, but it also encourages lower quality per piece. What's the difference between $20 and $25 per piece if I'm asking for more detail that takes more than 25% more time to create?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

but how motivated would one be if the job didn't even pay enough to feed oneself and have a roof over it's head, a car with gas to get to work, decent clothes to wear to work??? and if you have the gov't providing that roof and food, and other basic necessities for you now and knew that you would lose those benefits if you took a job that would fall short...
how willing would you be to take the job??
and how is cutting the benefits off gonna help with that. how fit for any job would you be if you didn't have the transportation, the decent cloths, food, or a roof over you head? why would anyone take a job that will tear the back up if it didn't pay enough to get the healthcare they would need to keep them functional?

and, while the grand answer as far as the conservatives are concerned is to just pull the benefits from the poor, force them to work (even though many of them ARE working) they neglect to consider what it would do to business revenues... when you have around 50% or more of the revenue going into the healthcare industry coming from these benefits in some areas of the country, you have to consider just what the effect on our healthcare providers would be if those benefits went away!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

And there's the rub. If I couldn't stay afloat at my job, no matter how much it means to me, I'd have to find another one.

There's a balance between the two viewpoints.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

but how motivated would one be if the job didn't even pay enough to feed oneself and have a roof over it's head, a car with gas to get to work, decent clothes to wear to work??? and if you have the gov't providing that roof and food, and other basic necessities for you now and knew that you would lose those benefits if you took a job that would fall short...
and how is cutting the benefits off gonna help with that. how fit for any job would you be if you didn't have the transportation, the decent cloths, food, or a roof over you head? why would anyone take a job that will tear the back up if it didn't pay enough to get the healthcare they would need to keep them functional?

and, while the grand answer as far as the conservatives are concerned is to just pull the benefits from the poor, force them to work (even though many of them ARE working) they neglect to consider what it would do to business revenues... when you have around 50% or more of the revenue going into the healthcare industry coming from these benefits in some areas of the country, you have to consider just what the effect on our healthcare providers would be if those benefits went away!

You have to first identify what you want in life and what makes you happy. The problem with society is many don't know this answer and are wandering around aimlessly looking for happiness without a vector or inspiration to show them the way to their dreams. Money is not the answer to all things. If your dream is to be a surfer, leave the USA and go live on a beach somewhere exotic. It is so much easier a life than here. Plus you can start a company teaching surfing. If your dream is to be an artist, definitely leave here, or find somewhere cheap to be. Writer, Movie Producer, Actor/Actress. It does not matter.

The problem is the X factor, the societal scary voice either from parents, friends, social media or otherwise, that shows us not having a billion $ is bad. Guys, i have news for you. It's not all its cracked up to be. There are cool toys, but there are a s*** ton of problems too you have to be willing to put up with. If you think you catch H*** as an employee sometimes, wait till you're a business OWNER, that's when the real flak starts hitting you. Decide what you want and ignore the voices, you have to understand, my people will project their own failure, wants, desires, onto you. They will even try and keep you grounded where they are to avoid seeing someone else succeed where they did not.

Identify what makes you tick, then go for what will keep the clock ticking. It's frustrating, yes. You have to ask some serious questions, but when you find it out, what you make an hour wont matter, because you will understand what Freedom truly is.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Frank truth is, most people are realizing everything is a sham. Many and I don't blame them would rather live on the street than do nothing but work til they drop to barely cover basic expenses. It's simply not a life worth living.

Then why they all coupling and having kids if life is so unlivable?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Kids get government assistance.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Umm, some people actually have some pride.

As far as..where have all the people willing to do those jobs gone? ..gee I wonder

edit on 11-9-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

an associates is not equal to 20 years of experience where are you getting your information???

I spoke with a company just last week who considered 1 year of formal education to be worth 10 years of experience in that specific job. Not saying I agree, also they're an outlier but it does happen. The average seems to be around 4:1.

if companies were hiring out of desperation wages would be skyrocketing it's not reflecting in the economic data

That's because they're hiring people that don't meet on paper requirements, the result is that the company leverages the persons lack of credentials to pay them less. You're also seeing wages not go up because higher paid employees are retiring, and lower paid employees are replacing them.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

I have CEO's that lead my teams. Why T F would I do anything myself? That's nonsense.

Ok have fun

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

So yes, I work to get paid, but money isn't everything. I may be struggling a bit more, but I make enough to stay afloat albeit barely. My standard of living may be less economically than when working at a factory, but my mental and emotional health is far greater.

As I said we all work for money but money is a very poor motivator and extremely short lived. That is why a company will give a bonus instead of a long term raise, because they know they can increase production for the very short term but that is maybe all it is good for.

If I doubled your pay would you be more caring, better at your job...etc

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: XtrozeroI'm saying is I would not get more productivity from you and you would not "like" your job better to do better if all I did was give you a raise.

But a raise can retain talent. I've got a lot of instiutional knowledge at my current job. I like the job, and if they were willing to pay me what I can get elsewhere (even ballpark, not necessarily as high) I would stay for the time being. Instead I'm talking to other companies that are offering 50% to 100% salary increases. I like my current job, but money is certainly a factor in loyalty.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I do believe better pay makes people more caring better at your job, just look at Costco versus Sam's club.
It's not even that much of a pay difference, but the service difference is like night and day!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

If higher wages lead to higher prices, how do you explain 30+ years of flat wages and 200-400% inflation in food, energy, shelter, medicine, education, and entertainment?

Your mantra is religion, not economics. We have suffered inflation in our cost of living for decades without corresponding increases in pay. People are waking up to it, too, which means -- among other things -- that the lines are getting longer and there ain't enough GAF to go around.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I can't believe you guys are talking about minimum wage in this economy. You really think people are paying minimum wage? I believe the current number is that less than 2% of workers make minimum wage.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

exactly my point, people just aren't buying into the, "shutup and work you pussy" line of thinking when they can go on Facebook in ten seconds and see the opulent wealth that the people who own all of this insanity have while on their vacation's and golfing all while the people who help them create that wealth starve and go bankrupt

yeah, people are dropping out, it's necessary and it'll get worse this culture has a lot of momentum... the only thing that can change this is probably a catastrophe

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

I'm not sure where you are going with this. What are your skill sets? Of course we need money, my point is at a leadership level. I need to provide you a pay equal to the worth of the job, not less. I should provide a good working environment to have you want to work for me, not just need to work for me.

Sounds like a situation where a person gets stuck in subsistence support for years and realizes one day they do not have any skills to get a job that they can actually live on.

I also read a lot of "one" "oneself" in your post. Do you feel that a living wage should give a person the freedom to support themselves as one person? Most of the world is not like that...single living support around the world is more of a privilege, the vast majority of the world live in groups that use the synergy of the group to live much better than they would on their own. Sharing expenses is much better than trying to pay 100% of everything.

A socialized healthcare system is not sustainable with the way our current system is set up. Obama and team knew Obamacare would fail within 10 years though they did it anyway without over hauling the whole system.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

a reply to: 0zzymand0s

exactly my point, people just aren't buying into the, "shutup and work you pussy" line of thinking when they can go on Facebook in ten seconds and see the opulent wealth that the people who own all of this insanity have while on their vacation's and golfing all while the people who help them create that wealth starve and go bankrupt

yeah, people are dropping out, it's necessary and it'll get worse this culture has a lot of momentum... the only thing that can change this is probably a catastrophe

The problem is that... "Census Bureau data, there were 5.83 million employer firms in the United States. • Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses.• Firms with less than 20 workers made up 89.4 percent of businesses."

Here is where a good chunk of your work force works.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I do believe better pay makes people more caring better at your job, just look at Costco versus Sam's club.
It's not even that much of a pay difference, but the service difference is like night and day!

The secret is it isn't the slightly higher pay that makes better workers at Costco...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join