It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not enough employees too many jobs -severe labor shortage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Anyone notice in the last year so many places lack employees. We are talking about low wage gigs, like fast food, service industries, grocery, etc. Some of these places have never had problems like this before.

I'm not sure where everyone else lives, I'm in the midwest and when you do a job search there are over 22K job openings within a 15 mile radius from me. There are more job openings every day.

I've called four places to have my driveway sealed and it took weeks for me to hear back from one. In the past these places would be pestering you for business. Our local landscape companies don't have enough workers for the sales they are making. I hear the same story from a lot of my friends. Construction has come to a standstill because there just aren't enough workers. I've seen a small house take well over a year to finish, normally it would take 4-5 months.

Right now it seems like the economy is bustling, but when does this turn painful? At some point these companies will have to decide to pay more, or close or raise prices. Are companies willing to share the wealth or will they keep trying to push things, will they just continue to price things higher and higher?
Where do you see this going?

Baby boomers are getting old and need care, there simply isn't enough care. This is going to get to crisis mode very soon.

I know a lot of people think that raising minimum wage will cure this, but I don't think it will.
I hate to say it but I think there are only two ways to fix things. Get rid of welfare except for the bare bone basics so all working adults work, and to really do some kind of immigration reform.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Weird I actually noticed this lately too. Like you said, it's mainly fast food, grocery, gas stations, etc. School bus drivers as well.
edit on 11-9-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Why work hard for little to no pay when you can go on welfare and get the same money for no work?

A good full time minimum wage job will just barely cover the rent- you'll need to stack up 2-3 people in a small rental to afford food.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Why work hard for little to no pay when you can go on welfare and get the same money for no work?

A good full time minimum wage job will just barely cover the rent- you'll need to stack up 2-3 people in a small rental to afford food.

Maybe cutting welfare would correct that mind set.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh yes. I have noticed. There is a definite shortage of laborers. I think lordcomac addressed the problem head on. The ability to be hungry enough for a job is no longer an option.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Maybe cutting ludicrously high rent would also help....certainly where I live

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Too many people these days are on SSID and don't have to work. I've mentioned it the other day about people on disability in this country, there are programs here to put them to work and not stay home and get fat. These programs work, but in the States it probably won't work since many are too fkd up on dope and too lazy or just plain out crazy.

Anyway you mentioned about old age health care, that is some serious stuff. There is a very acute shortage of health care workers, wonder why? Well American schools are failing to teach "work survival skills". Until someone has the balls to tell the school board to change their teaching methods, only about the to 20% of the graduating class will have the wits to further their education that will give them "work survival skills".

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Since I seriously started looking for a job again, I have noticed this as well, and something else. Office manager, Admin manager, ect are also in demand, except they want at least an Associate degree for you to even apply. That is screwing me. I have 23 years experience, but no degree.
Doesn't seem like people care about loyalty anymore.

And the bus driver thing is huge in MI right now. They cannot keep drivers. From other drivers, I've heard they don't pay enough to put up with the kids crap anymore.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: highvein

Maybe cutting ludicrously high rent would also help....certainly where I live

How much is your rent?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

We are so short of people at the company I work that we have to go 6 days a week instead of 5 right now.

I do 11 hours shift. So tired. Too much overtime is not good, too much taxes and not healthy neither.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Since I seriously started looking for a job again, I have noticed this as well, and something else. Office manager, Admin manager, ect are also in demand, except they want at least an Associate degree for you to even apply. That is screwing me. I have 23 years experience, but no degree.
Doesn't seem like people care about loyalty anymore.

And the bus driver thing is huge in MI right now. They cannot keep drivers. From other drivers, I've heard they don't pay enough to put up with the kids crap anymore.

Yep you need a degree to work there but not to own it lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Every factory job I've ever had does that no matter how many employees they have. 6 to 7 days with short periods where there's less than that. Is why I will never work a factory job again.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

So long as we have academics claiming that math class tracking promotes apartheid because too many non-minorities get into the more difficult math classes, you won't see our education improve at turning out job-ready candidates either.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Labor crisis solutions?

Remove help for failing families and kick out the illegals?

I dunno and perhaps i misconstrued your solutions?

Why do you feel that paying more would not work?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I'm hearing a lot of that where I live. Many jobs want people to work 50-70 hours. Basically have zero life outside of work.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

They don't count job equivalent toward degree?

There are still places out here that will so long as the experience in question is directly work relevant. So you can't claim that 3 to 5 years of Burger King is Master's equivalent, but if you are applying to a job that requires a Master's and have job experience in that direct field you can sometimes count it.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Frank truth is, most people are realizing everything is a sham. Many and I don't blame them would rather live on the street than do nothing but work til they drop to barely cover basic expenses. It's simply not a life worth living.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Are any of you even familiar with the welfare programs?

What program allows a person to get help without work long term?

What specific problems do you all see with welfare today?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Ten jobs, five employees, you do the math.
Unless those jobs start paying significantly higher there isn't going to be a change. The only thing that will happen is those five employees will shift around.

The only answer is to find "missing" employees
-elderly
-non-working adults
-migrants
-more teens

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Right now it seems like the economy is bustling, but when does this turn painful? At some point these companies will have to decide to pay more, or close or raise prices. Are companies willing to share the wealth or will they keep trying to push things, will they just continue to price things higher and higher?
Where do you see this going?

I said a while back that if Walmart gave up all their yearly earnings AND the Walmart family dumped 100 million extra a year into employee's pay they would all get about 10c an hour raise, so I'm not sure what profit sharing you are talking about.

I know a lot of people think that raising minimum wage will cure this, but I don't think it will.
I hate to say it but I think there are only two ways to fix things. Get rid of welfare except for the bare bone basics so all working adults work, and to really do some kind of immigration reform.

More pay means higher prices... I have a sister who will not work, has few skills etc and says she is worth 30 bucks an hour, so unless she makes that it is not worth it to her to work.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join