It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migrants and Tribalism and Native Europeans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I didn't pick up on the Polish being included in those figures, I wouldn't call them white British as they aren't in the way we are talking about here.
I think Douglas Murray makes good points in his book and if you're interested in this topic from any perspective it's worth a read.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

The strange death of Europe yeh? I'm in the middle of a book right now but that looks an interesting read cheers.
I'm all for immigration in the main, without eastern European workers our tourist industry here would shut down.

I can't really comment on Muslim immigrants though, it's 98+% white non-Muslim in my parts so I only read about issues second hand from other areas of the UK.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

A month or two ago a mate of mine did The West Highland Way walk.
He said he barely heard a British accent.

His fellow walkers were primarily German and French and the few times he stopped at hostels or hotels the employees were eastern European.

en.wikipedia.org...

He finished the Coast to Coast walk this weekend.
I'll probably see him tonight in the pub, I'll be interested in how the two compared.

en.wikipedia.org...

At the last census there was slightly less than a thousand Muslims living in the town where I live.
It will be significantly higher in three years time when the next census occurs.

For all it can be a violent place its always been racially harmonious here, no major problems at all.

But there've been a few instances recently and there's definitely a change in atmosphere when walking through certain parts of town.

There's quite a large eastern European community here too.
They tend to work hard and generally are ok.
When they are out on the drink though they do tend to get remarkably drunk and can get quite aggressive when I have to 'ask them to leave' the pub.

My hometown is better than most....but things are definitely taking a turn for the worse.

Could relate literally hundreds of other stories but......

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Haha yes the EU nationals like a drink, they fit in well here!
I wonder if the no drinking thing with Muslims doesn't help with integration? Never at the pub so opportunities to interact are limited then.

When I visit some towns and cities though it's like being in the middle east, a strange feeling reminds me of my traveling days...but in my own country.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Haha yes the EU nationals like a drink, they fit in well here!

Surprisingly the worst drinkers I've come across despite their reputation have been Australians.

Great people with a fantastic sense of humour - very similar to ours but just not quite as cutting and cynical.....but hopeless drinkers....a bit like Londoners and those from its surrounding areas. (Australians are much better company though!)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I went to university in Leicester and worked for a while in Bradford, coming from Northern Ireland in the mid nineties it was quite a culture shock for me and despite being fairly prejudice free towards them i found the Muslims to be aggressive and generally unfriendly.
Eastern European migrants have had a massive impact on Northern Ireland, we have very tribal politics here and the migrants are largely voting for a party which although it portrays itself as being impartial actually supports Sinn Fein/IRA in all policies and votes on councils.
They have also caused a large change in the demographic, I have lost count of the amount of times I have had momentum members try and annoy me by telling me the Catholic population has increased so rapidly that it will soon outstrip that of protestants and so end the union. The momentum idiots never seem to understand that if there was a border poll Eastern European migrants would be ineligible to vote and also a large proportion of Catholics would probably vote to maintain the union anyway. Regardless the demographic change is seized upon by Sinn Fein to try and force a border poll, they would lose it but as per the Good Friday agreement one would have to be held every 7 years there after, this would cause so much uncertainty that foreign investment would dry up and the country would effectively become a failed state.
So yeah for me Eastern European migration has been a big deal and not really something I have welcomed.
edit on 12-9-2018 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I've got on with every Australian I've ever met here, you're right about the humour as well.
Maybe post Brexit it will be easier for them to live and work here, I'd have no issues with that, same Canadians and Kiwis although they are a little 'dry' and polite compared to Aussies.

To be fair, and I'll be flamed for this, but the only people who don't integrate are Muslims.
Skin colour isn't the issue just religion, give me a street full of Hindus and Sikhs any day over the religion of 'peace'.
Yep, I said it. I would hate my society to end up a #hole like other parts of the UK have become.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Interesting slant on the difference in NI

EU nationals are a big part of my social group now so it's a different story for me.
The Poles especially though partner up together with fellow Poles more so than others like Czech or Slovakians.
Still would you prefer to live in Bradford or Belfast? I'd choose Belfast.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I went to university in Leicester and worked for a while in Bradford, coming from Northern Ireland in the mid nineties it was quite a culture shock for me and despite being fairly prejudice free towards them i found the Muslims to be aggressive and generally unfriendly.

I imagine that being a massive culture shock.

If the truth was told many people would agree that they found many Muslims to be 'aggressive and unfriendly'.

I went to Leicester a couple of times as a kid to see relatives. The first time I went as an adult was on a course with work.
I arrived on the Sunday night and went out for a drink by myself. It was a massive shock to me.
Been back a few times since, it certainly hasn't changed.

Lots of eastern Europeans are Catholics, particularly the Poles.

Momentum are idiots....dangerous idiots.

I've heard things have improved in Northern Ireland.

Nothing should be allowed to jeopardize that.

I remember reading an article a year or so ago in which it said that support for the UK had grown recently in traditional Republican communities.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I worked in Bradford earlier this year, got loads of evil eyes from bearded blokes who looked like they were wearing pyjamas.
Yep I didn't like the segregation at all was glad to get back to the rough white council estate I was staying in.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Maybe post Brexit it will be easier for them to live and work here, I'd have no issues with that, same Canadians and Kiwis although they are a little 'dry' and polite compared to Aussies.

Aussies, Canadians and Kiwis should always be welcome here in the UK.

Canadians do seem very polite yet they have a quiet steely resolve.
Very likeable people.

Met a small handful of Kiwi's....I'm sure they won't like this but they are bit Aussie Lite.

Had a night out with a Maori couple once - great company, loved a drink a laugh but as the night went on they got increasingly excited about ending the night with a fight. Any sort of fight with anyone would do. They reckoned it was mandatory to finish a good session on the drink by either passing out or having a bit of scrap.
I left them passed out!

To be fair, and I'll be flamed for this, but the only people who don't integrate are Muslims.

Not only don't they have any intention of integrating many actively seek to forcibly change this country into a replica of wherever it is they came from.

Skin colour isn't the issue just religion, give me a street full of Hindus and Sikhs any day over the religion of 'peace'.

Enormous amount of respect for them and have many friends from both religions.

Skin colour is completely irrelevant to me.

Yep, I said it. I would hate my society to end up a #hole like other parts of the UK have become.

Creeping Islamification is a worry.

I have some Rastafarian type friends in London.
They are big people and are what used to be called 'connected', but they are hard working and genuine sorts.

They tell me that the biggest problems they have are with recent immigrants from eastern Africa, places like Somalia, Sudan etc.
They said they refuse to work, have no desire to integrate and absolutely no intention at all of becoming an active part of British society.

Is it a coincidence that most of this recent influx of immigrants are Muslims?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Been to Bradford a couple of times.

It can be quite intimidating can't it.

Unless experienced it can't be appreciated or truly understood.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Yes, it was completely alien to me aside from experiences when travelling in Muslim majority nations over the years.
Even take moderate Muslim nations like Malaysia, it is noticeable...if you ever go there the safest places are China town and little India in Kuala Lumpur.
Rural Muslim areas you toss a coin and hope for the best.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join