It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GSG 15 22 LR thoughts and impressions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So Im currently waiting for mine to be delivered and would love to hear thoughts, likes and dislikes about this scar look aline that uses .22 rounds. Heck even post some pictures if you have one so I can get some ideas how to customize mine. I think its great because you can customize it about a hundred different ways.

www.cabelas.ca...

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

It’s a nice looking gun but what do you plan on doing with it? Looks too short for any real hunting. With that being said I have never used a gun that short for hunting.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This would be a good rifle to teach a young person on how to use a larger AR. Not going to say much for using it for hunting. In my state you cannot use a semi for small game.

I have a bolt action 22 that I taught my sons to hunt with. It weights 7 1/2 pounds with a scope, so the mechanics and weight of the rifle is close to most hunting rifles. They transitioned over to heavier caliber rifles as they got older with little trouble, and never developed the "flinch" reaction.
edit on 10-9-2018 by JasonBillung because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

This was mine before I threw it in the garbage. Only kidding. I had fun with it for a little while but I kept having problems with jamming, tried multiple different types of ammo to no avail. I would say the price tag on these things are aimed more toward the appearance rather than the functionality of the gun.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Misread your post mine is actually the GSG 522

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I would add a hundred and get a AR-15 in .556, you can always change the bolt to a CMMG kit for another $125 to shoot 22LR. It’s like having two rifles and you can go full power .556mm or .223 Remington when needed. Pull the back pin and change the bolts in about 30 seconds.
edit on 10-9-2018 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
22 LR is great ammo, and useful in combat if you can get a majority of head shots.

For hunting, it is just as good, if you can get the best shot placement on target anatomy.

The problem with this specific weapon for me would be maintenance of the weapon after each use (which is bigger than a bolt action 22 LR!) , and the fact that semi auto rate of fire does not really help with shot placement accuracy, which is much more important for a weapon of the 22 LR power.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You gonna get urself an "assault rifle" man!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread I did a few months ago...GSG 522

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

I love 22 LR but it wouldn't be my first choice for combat or deer. Not to say it can't be done but not my first choice.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

It's your money and your life. If you want one, buy one. You can always sell it if it doesn't work out.

If it was me? I'm not sure I could convince myself to pay $500 for a .22 LR. It looks cool though.

ETA: I work at a range. I have seen various newer .22 semi-auto's have problems. M&P has one (the 15/22 I think) which likes to fire out of battery and jack up the bolt. Older 10/22's and some older model Remington's seem to be pretty indestructible.
edit on PM0741PMRCDT2018 by ABNARTY because: Added

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Looks nice , is it the Mp5SD or a custom supressor ?

what are the regulations concerning supressors in the US ?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

You can check out the thread that edaced4 did a few months ago. Also go to youtube I am sure there are videos on the weapon there. For my two cents worth you would be much better off canceling the order and finding a different weapon that is not a door stop that needs major rework.. I know you did not want to hear that and I am sorry... it is a cool looking but it is all down hill from there on out.. IMO

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Dude just save up and get a “scorpion”. And if you do so get the “evo 3” and tell me all about it please.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I would add a hundred and get a AR-15 in .556, you can always change the bolt to a CMMG kit for another $125 to shoot 22LR. It’s like having two rifles and you can go full power .556mm or .223 Remington when needed. Pull the back pin and change the bolts in about 30 seconds.

^^^^^This!!^^^^^^^

(My very first thought when I came to this thread..."why buy a dedicated .22LR, when you can buy a full-on AR in 5.56 and just change the bolt and mag" Now, if we were talking about a fully modded out and suppressed Ruger bolt action .22 mag with a smithed heavy barrel and an ATN night vision scope, well, that would be a different story!!)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Get a 'nana clip or drum, learn how to bump fire and you can write your name on a wall with it.
edit on 11-9-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

top topics

join