It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Cunk on Britain

An absolute must see if you like history, comedy, or pointy bits on sticks.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

She's pretty damn funny.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think I met have let that lass down a dark alley in Bradford back in the early 80s...

She rings a bell (or a whole bloody cathedral full of bells with that Yorkshire accent!)

Brings back fond memories :

And Chavs... can't forget the Chavs...

The cream of England...

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Awesome lass, I loved watching these.

She's hilarious, cheers for posting.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Chocolates NUTS and sprouts...

No comment

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I've spent the last hour or so just laughing my ass off!

A funny line. .

"Hitler defeated the Nazi's by blowing his own head off."

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Cunk on Britain
An absolute must see if you like history, comedy, or pointy bits on sticks.

Thank you! I have never heard of her before, I am so glad that you posted this, she is so good that one of the first times she was 'funny', it took me aback...
In other words, I did not see this coming, like Camelot, or something.
Thanks again, that made my day!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

A hearty and heart felt thanks for that! Hilarious it is and I'm really not understanding howsomever you found it.

And now we know why our ancestors buried all their belongings!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I'm amazed at how brilliant that woman is. She sounds a lot like modern Texas middle school teachers discussing history.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Obviously a parody on history documentaries, and there are things missing, opportunities for parody which haven't been exploited.

Not once in the entire programme does anybody being described make an amazing/astonishing/remarkable discovery.
Not one in the entire programme does anything happen that "changed the world... FOR EVER".
It is one of the rules of documentaries that one of those two things must happen every five minutes.

Where are the "dramatic reconstructions" with embarassingly anachronistic dialogue? In the section on Harold and William, she could have had Saxon warriors telling the cameraman "We've been waiting for months, and we're like 'Where are they?'" (I grieve to report that this is a real example. I haven't made it up.)

Worst of all, we can hear what she is saying. Where was the "atmospheric" music loud enough to drown out the speaker, without which modern viewers cannot tolerate stretches of verbal explanation?

All parodies of British history are following in the footsteps of the masters, Sellars and Yeatman ("1066 and all that").
Here is their description of the departure of the Romans;
"The withdrawal of the Roman legions to take part in Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (due to a clamour among the Romans for pompous amusements such as bread and circumstances) left Britain defenceless and subjected Europe to that long succession of Waves of which History is chiefly composed. While the Roman Empire was overrun by waves not only of Goths, Visigoths, and even Goths, but also of Vandals (who destroyed works of art) and Huns (who destroyed everything and everybody, including Goths, Ostrogoths, Visigoths, and even Vandals), Britain was attacked by waves of Picts (and of course Scots) who had recently learned to climb the wall, and of Angles, Saxons, and Jutes who, landing at Thanet, soon overran the country with fire (and, of course, the sword)."

edit on 11-9-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

top topics

join