It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early winter freeze to grip Britain with below zero temperatures and frosty winds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's pretty cold this week. Summer was really short. Start late and leaves were falling off the tree's after 2 straight months of rain.

Cambridge-News

Forecasters are warning an early winter freeze bringing cold and frosty winds could be about to grip Britain.

Below-zero temperatures could sweep across the country in late October leaving shivering Brits longing for the long-forgotten UK summer heatwave.

Freezing temp's in Britain during summer. Not unusual. This year where I live temp's dropped to -20 for well over a week which is very very cold.

The grand solar minimum is winding up to be a fun experience thus far!!

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

We could use some of that.

Over here on the West Coast of the States, fires are still raging, the air quality is terrible. I left the windows open overnight a couple of nights ago on what looked like it could be a first clear night in a while.

Woke up to the whole house smelling like smoke in the middle of the night. Film of ash on everything around the house.

Some rain and a break in high temps would be very welcome.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I will take global warming over a maunder minimum mini ice age

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
ahh man, they said the mini ice age wasn't going to happen until the 2030's.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Their warnings about hot sun and stormy weather were thoroughly unreliable all summer.
If they're talking up an early winter, that sounds like a good reason not to expect one.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
After a summer in Michigan with heat & humidity spikes to rival Florida's standard levels, that sounds utterly delightful. I'm game, send it our way!

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

This year where I live temp's dropped to -20 for well over a week which is very very cold.

20 below for over a week, during summer... seriously?

Where do you live?

in Antarctica?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Summer wasn't short for us in essex we had like 2 months of sunshine and no rain. Anyway bring on the big freeze we hear this every year and I'm still waiting for it to happen

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Summer wasn't short for us in essex we had like 2 months of sunshine and no rain. Anyway bring on the big freeze we hear this every year and I'm still waiting for it to happen

You guys will be able to walk over to France, or perhaps skate over -- screw the Chunnel.

And I know from personal experience, them Calais girls are worth the walk. So is the wine.

edit on 9-9-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The summer in the UK was a scorcher - best in a long time (in fact, the Met Office says the joint hottest since records began)
I'll be happy if we get cold winter.
I like distinct seasons.

edit on 9/9/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Where in the name of all that's good in the world, did you find somewhere a person could be nice and cold, rather than boiling hot? Temperature wise, its still well within Boris Johnson's apparent prefered dating range, that being 18-25 degrees C where I am. I wish it were cooler, much cooler, cold, frozen.

If the environment could survive it, after the summer we just had, I would quite happily never see direct sunlight again for as long as I live. Give me cloud cover, storms, rain, ice and snow and high winds, any day of the week, over the oppressive, scorching hot, disgustingly humid conditions we have experienced here in Essex over the period between spring and now.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Not the old "Arctic Blast" thing? Have had a couple of chilly evenings here in Wiltshire - absolute heaven after our baking hot and humid summer. Bring it on, I say. Bloody British weather.

Long term forecasts, I take them with a pinch of salt.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
It's pretty cold this week. Summer was really short. Start late and leaves were falling off the tree's after 2 straight months of rain.

You can't be living on the UK mainland if this is your take on the summer we have had. Also it's 16/17c outside here, which coming up for half way through September isn't that bad at all.

It has been the joint hottest summer on record and I certainly enjoyed a beautiful long hot summer.

There has definitely not been 2 straight months of rain and most places were preparing for or on a hosepipe ban.

Also "an early winter freeze bringing cold and frosty winds" in October
Yep that's called Autumn. Great when the seasons do exactly what they're meant too.

Saying that I always take weather predictions with a pinch of salt, they are only guessing and rarely get it correct.

I note oldcarpy literally thinks the same thing about weather predictions

edit on 10-9-2018 by fenian8 because: to add last sentence.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Two straight months of rain? Where are you? In the UK we have had a scorching summer with people talking about hosepipe bans and stuff.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: fenian8

Too hot for me. I like hot but not when it is also sticky and humid - it was just uncomfortable but then we Brits are always moaning about our weather.

Love Autumn, looking forward to that. Have Mulberry Gin on the go ready for winter. Will stock up on logs soon.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Living up north al take all the hot and humid weather I can get and sorry for the cliché but "It's been like living abroad".

Good thing is after this summer am really looking forward to Autumn more than I usually do.

I've never had Mulberry Gin before, think I might need to seek some out. Purely for research you understand

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: fenian8

Mulberry Gin is home made. You put some mulberries (can use Blackberries, raspberries etc) in a sealed jar with some sugar, cinnamon sticks) and leave for 3-4 months. Drink responsibly (don't spill any).

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Judging by the amount of wild food, blackberries, hips, elderberry etc around here, I would say we are in for another real winter.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Our leaves started falling here in the midwest USA a month ago. I believe it's time to adjust the start/end of the seasons.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Our leaves started falling here in the midwest USA a month ago. I believe it's time to adjust the start/end of the seasons.

Honestly, the official start dates for the seasons have always been pretty stupid. Winter officially begins on December 21st, but here in Michigan December 1st is usually a much better approximation of when we start getting winter weather. Similarly, March 1st, June 1st, and September 1st are much more likely to mark the actual beginning of the season than a date late in the month.
edit on 10-9-2018 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join