It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Doom. . . . I mean Florence

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Considering you are right now looking at at least 10 to 15 inches of rain not counting any storm surge you may get ...

That's the real threat to you, not the wind. Are you on high enough ground to withstand that much water? And it's not just that but what will wash downstream from that much water getting dumped on everyone upstream from you too.

Also understand that is quite possibly a very conservative estimate because this storm looks like it could pull a Harvey and stall. The weather conditions show it getting parked or trying to loop sort of like Harvey did.
edit on 11-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Joisey boy huh?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Im a little further north and east of there it looks to hit. Ill be in the seven inch range.
We had a flood from Floyd that took two or three days to pump out. Cost us two pumps too.
We didnt lose power with floyd. There wasnt much wind.
Isabel was a lot of wind but not a lot of rain.
Ill stay on here as long as I have power and internet service.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When night fell on the day that Isabel hit here the power was out in three states surrounding me.
From North Carolina to Maryland the lights were out.
We walked down to the bridge because there is a wide expanse of sky visible and we could see the dusty smear of the milky way in the sky. I know you middle folks see that all the time but here on the east coast with light pollution you never see that. It was amazing.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Joisey boy huh?

100%.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Think long term in worst case scenario of the effects this could have to national security this could have in relation to our military.From what i gather we have many assets in the area that could be out of commission for a while. No need for details on that but hopefully leaders are thinking outside the box on this one. Coupled with the ramping up of tensions with syria we could be vulnerable is steps are not taken.

You won't see anything strategic left out on the tarmac in any installation that is at or near the landfall. They will have been moved to facilities out of harm's way. Scary are the private small airports where there is not enough cover to protect small craft. They need to be moved as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My mother actually remembers Hazel. She was a young teen when that happened. We grew up hearing stories about Hazel. Most people that are originally from NC either experienced it or heard the stories. People new to the area may not be aware. If this is being compared to Hazel it's going to be bad.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I found Jim Cantorre, just landed in Wilmington, NC

www.facebook.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
A friend of mine who chases storms invited to go with him on this one, I have to work but maybe I will try to clear my schedule next hurricane season. I will try to link his live stream to here when Florence closes in.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I say make like the Oregon trail and get your asses outta there, but if you feel you have enough supplies and protection then strap yourselves in for one of the most enthralling and unforgettable experiences of your lifetime.

I went through it once, I've heard folk say it's like a bomb was dropped, I took that with a grain of salt and boy was I wrong.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Was looking at satellite footage of Florence using WCVB5 NewsCenter 5 weather map overlay, and saw this curious set of spots in the eye of the storm. Only lasted for a few frames. Thought it was weird.

It is a Boston station. Linky
edit on 11-9-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

Addend: Curiously still, nothing out there but sea mounts (underwater) using GEPro

edit on 11-9-2018 by charlyv because: content

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy>>>> They'll hype this storm not only to get people to prepare and to take it seriously, but also to push the global warming agenda. You know, it might just be the opposite of warming... cooling, that is making these storms seem so much worse. If they hit strong high pressures and cold fronts and stall, that's what turns them into extreme rain makers. Hazel in the 1950s combined with a cold front and got carried north and got stronger. Cold and warm fronts clashing create storms. A cooler northern hemisphere is going to suck low pressures north, its nature.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

Disaster-loving CNN says the storm will be a CAT-5 at landfall. The National Hurricane Center says that it most likely will be a low-end CAT-4.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

While I agree most storms are way over hyped, it is not to push an agenda, it is to boost ratings and sell hurricane supplies(home depot runs commercials on The Weather Channel).

Given my 25 years+ of tracking storms, I will say Florence will likely live up and possibly exceed the hype, at least in the areas that are impacted the worst.

This is a monster storm that will have a major surge, it will cause wind damage, and it will dump a lot of rain that will causes major flooding(the deadliest aspect of hurricanes)

edit on 12-9-2018 by jrod because: D

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Whelp, overnight model runs are hinting at stalling off the Carolinas, before hooking a left and steamrolling Savannah, and a pit stop over Atlanta.

Just goes to show we don't have as good a grasp deciphering weather as we thought we did, that blocking high might have been underestimated and might send it down the coast instead.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Pine trees? I'm surprised. I had four ancient pines removed two years ago. I kept wishing that a storm would take them down but no luck. I had to pay a grand each to get them removed.
Pines have deep tap roots. I watched them sway fifteen degrees and not fall over or break during storms.
I am expecting that there will be a lot of upended deciduous trees. They are all still full of leaves and the ground is already soaked. Broken trees can indicate a tornado.

I was shocked! All those trees had been there forever. Mostly 80-100 years old. It was the same all over town. I remember from science class in school. There was a picture of a deciduous tree showing the roots. It said the root system looked just like the top of the tree, only upside down! Same size, same shape. I didn't know that pine trees were any different. All the ones that were uprooted had shallow roots & they were spread out in all directions, just below the surface! No tap root! Couldn't believe it! They lasted all those years & only fell now! It has been an exceptionally wet spring & summer here though.

An FYI tip that we have used. Get some of those solar lights on stakes from the dollar store. If the power is out for any length of time, you can put them outside during the day & charge them. Then bring them inside at night to use instead of flashlights or lanterns. You can make them brighter by putting a mirror behind a couple of them, or put one upside down in a glass jar. Next day, put them outside & recharge. Cheap, safe & no dead batteries!

I read that if it gets hot & muggy afterwards, wet your curtains or hang up wet sheets over the open windows. The wind blowing through them will help cool the air in the room off. Haven't had to try that one yet, but it sounds plausible!

Stay safe!
WOQ

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen
I live in Southeast Virginia. Where should I go?

KANSAS, it looks safe.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Pine trees have a long tap root and its roots go straight down just like the top goes straight up. They do not have a spreading root system. You are correct that the roots usually mimic the shape of the tree above. Pines are the same. Thatys w hy AI was surprised that they fell over. That is so unusual.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

And Fox is probably ignoring the storm all together claiming its fake news and doesn't even exist.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Its not to boost sales or ratings. Its broadcast because people die in hurricanes. Its broadcast to save lives.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join