It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Doom. . . . I mean Florence

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
But I have had floods in that basement over the years. Not from the river but from heavy rain and its been raining heavy here for days.

Try to get the valuable upstairs, or things you don't want soaking in water.

I'm trying to tell the storm via telepathic powers to stay out in the ocean, but I keep getting a busy signal.

Anyhow stay say and keep us posted. Wishing you well and safety.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: Realtruth

Pretty please save me uncle sam!

First responders aren't "uncle sam" typically just people helping people. Governments are very slow to respond, especially with financial assistance, so people's best bets are Red Cross, volunteer groups, and Christian group types. I'm not a religious person, per se, but I've worked with, and witnessed amazing aid, and immediate help given by these types.

Sorry to hear your in such a state

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Think long term in worst case scenario of the effects this could have to national security this could have in relation to our military.From what i gather we have many assets in the area that could be out of commission for a while. No need for details on that but hopefully leaders are thinking outside the box on this one. Coupled with the ramping up of tensions with syria we could be vulnerable is steps are not taken.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

They were out of ramen noodles! And bottled water. Lots of soda and juices and other drinks.
They were out of white bread but there was plenty of the other kinds rye sour dough whole wheat hamburger rolls. We never buy white bread anyway. There was plenty of meat and fish and of course dry goods.
We did have a problem finding gas.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

They moved the ships out to sea and flew the planes away yesterday and this morning.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Pretty please save me uncle sam!

First responders aren't "uncle sam" typically just people helping people. Governments are very slow to respond, especially with financial assistance, so people's best bets are Red Cross, volunteer groups, and Christian group types. I'm not a religious person, per se, but I've worked with, and witnessed amazing aid, and immediate help given by these types.

Sorry to hear your in such a state

That is right on point. It is the neighbors that in the past have saved so many. We have a severe case in this society of people trained to look toward the gov.to save them and even coming to the realization you just put forth can be a life changing obstacle for many. Simply put many that rely on gov. to help them get through the day can be very surprised in these situations.

It was a minor storm in Hawaii but people are still trying to pickup the pieces.

It does say DOOM in the thread title so i am just contributing.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Im looking at the cone and I am not in a very high risk area. I do not know why they are evacuating this area. Im thinking we wont even lose power.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It's the rain

Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This “blocking ridge” is likely to block Florence’s forward progress.

Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm.

www.wunderground.com...

North Carolina’s state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06” from Hurricane Floyd of 1999,
South Carolina’s is 18.51” from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995,
Virginia’s is 27.00” from Hurricane Camille of 1969,
West Virginia’s is 7.94” from Hurricane Agnes of 1972.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Zombies can swim!?!

The threat level just went to " Oh S**t"

I bought a barge on the assumption that they couldn't and I stick to that.

I reckon at best they can sort of walk along the bottom and clamber over eachother but that's what a propeller is for!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Zombies can swim!?!

The threat level just went to " Oh S**t"

I bought a barge on the assumption that they couldn't and I stick to that.

I reckon at best they can sort of walk along the bottom and clamber over eachother but that's what a propeller is for!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The biggest threat is gonna be rain. If its worse than Floyd in 99 well Its gonna be pure hell.
I lived in Greenville NC during Floyd and my family still resides there while I'm in Durham, NC. After Floyd damn coffins were floating out of their graves, ya couldn't get any gas and roads and highways were covered in water 3 ft+ deep. The Tar river swelled and our small airport became a temporary part of the river. No power for a whole week for us. We have had an unusually wet summer too so that isn't going to help. Bad very bad no fun.
edit on 11-9-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
I'm watching this one closely as I have family in NC. I just talked to my Mom. She is in good spirits but is prepared. She told me they are saying this one will be worse than Hazel. Anyone from NC knows about the devastation of Hazel in the 50s. It's the benchmark for hurricanes in NC. It was so bad they retired the name.

Our weather guy has been really watching this one because our weather is super boring.

His blog today was about how many people have moved into that area recently and have never gone through a storm before let alone one like this.

There have only been 3 Cat 4 landfalls, and the one they're comparing the potential of this to - Hazel - hit way back in the '50s. So there are a lot of people down there who've never, ever done this and/or think they may have some clue and really don't which always makes things dicey.

Then he addressed the land use patterns. For example, in one county they only had about 45,000 people back in the days of the last major storm but that's skyrocketed to over 200,000 in just so many years. Then less than 50% of those people in many of the areas projected to be hit worst have flood insurance ...

So this could be a real mess in a lot of different ways. Really, folks, don't play with this. Get out if they tell you to go.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I experienced my share of hurricanes living on the atlantic coast my whole life but I have only experienced at most a cat 2 and that is some scary poopoo. Floyd was a cat 4 right up to my back door then suddenly lost a lot of its steam just before it hit. It rained like Forrest Gump in Vietnam rain. In buckets like Ive never seen before or since.
I am looking at the charts and I am about where the Norfolk area is. Im right across the river from Norfolk. I dont think Im going to be seeing much more than what Ive experienced in the past as we wont be taking a direct hit. We are north and east of the center and thats making me think it will be like a cat 2 for us or maybe less. Hatteras may even be spared but the carolina beaches are in trouble. My sister is on Oak Island. Thats right where that little pointy part of North Carolina sticks out just before it becomes South Carolina. The section that faces directly south. Shes in the bulls eye. She has five dogs and I dont know, cat lady amounts of kitties it seems. She knows one center that will accept pets. I doubt they will accept her menagerie. Im making blocks of ice today. Just in case.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The news media can just replay preparations for the hurricane from past hurricanes. It gets to be monotonous.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I'm trying to tell the storm via telepathic powers to stay out in the ocean, but I keep getting a busy signal.

That made me laugh. Im not too worried. I am baking cookies right now.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What beach? I will probably drive down too but the police turn people away. I can walk to the river in a minute or two. But often it comes up over the road and you cant walk out on the bridge anyway. Unless you have waders on and dont mind the risk of slipping and falling in.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

And Met Life.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Cape May.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Floyd dumped nineteen inches of rain in a twenty four hour period.
A city to the west of the coast way inland was under water from rain that swelled the rivers.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What beach? I will probably drive down too but the police turn people away. I can walk to the river in a minute or two. But often it comes up over the road and you cant walk out on the bridge anyway. Unless you have waders on and dont mind the risk of slipping and falling in.

If youre that close to the river be careful of the storm surge!!!!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join