It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Doom. . . . I mean Florence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm going to the beach this weekend. Eff that storm.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm watching this one closely as I have family in NC. I just talked to my Mom. She is in good spirits but is prepared. She told me they are saying this one will be worse than Hazel. Anyone from NC knows about the devastation of Hazel in the 50s. It's the benchmark for hurricanes in NC. It was so bad they retired the name.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm going to the beach this weekend. Eff that storm.

Did you know that the "eye" of a hurricane is not actually an eye?

Hurricanes are actually blind and require help when crossing the street.

So if you're very quiet, you will be okay.

I said this on the internet so it has to be true.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
florance is a beautiful name. i liked its sound.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
I'm watching this one closely as I have family in NC. I just talked to my Mom. She is in good spirits but is prepared. She told me they are saying this one will be worse than Hazel. Anyone from NC knows about the devastation of Hazel in the 50s. It's the benchmark for hurricanes in NC. It was so bad they retired the name.

I hope everyone is prepared.

This is going to be a doozy!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Did you know that the "eye" of a hurricane is not actually an eye?

Hurricanes are actually blind and require help when crossing the street.

So if you're very quiet, you will be okay.

I said this on the internet so it has to be true.

Me quiet? I'm from goddamn New Jersey.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

One good way to protect yourself, especially if you are from New Jersey, is to take a large iron bar, longer the better, with you and wave it at any lightning.

It will protect you.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Makes sense. I could beat the hell out of Florence and stuff her in my trunk. Problem solved Atlantic Coast. Thank me later.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know a guy with a backhoe.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I know that guy too, his name rhymes with HeeHeeSowToy.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Don't forget to wear protection, and have a stash of PEZ refills.

Not sure how condoms and PEZ will work, but I'll give it a try.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
A few remarks from reading all this:
Go to Indiana. I lived in Powhatan, VA when Fran came in 1996. The people in Indiana where I was visiting had no clue what was happening.

Asheville, NC is packed with people who have paid hundreds of dollars a night for hotels already. They were booked up last weekend. My husband was supposed to teach a class up there at a factory. He canceled due to he thought someone else might really need that hotel room, and both sides of highway 26 are going from Charleston to Asheville today to send one million evacuees that way. No way to get home if he left.

Remember to empty your ice into a cooler when the electricity goes off. Or you will have the mess from hell in your freezer.I like to freeze water up in empty cranberry or soda bottles made out of plastic to use in the freezer or cooler. When they melt, you have clean drinking water. Frozen water bottles are good for ice packs for injuries. Slip bottle into a sock. Shut off circuits to water heater, air conditioner, well pump.... after the electricity goes off. Or do it before you leave your house to exit the situation. Save water in used bleach bottles it is perfectly sanitary and cheap. Good for a wash cloth bath at the sink too. Especially if you are on a well with no generator.

Clean gutters and trim bushes back from house. Water damage from continual rain to the roof is a constant worry for us in SC. During one hurricane I stood in the garage and watched water drip from the ceiling. Someone's tennis ball had jammed up the down spout. Kids liked to throw balls up into the roof because they are not thinking like adults. Make sure you clear leaves, pine straw and branches off any Flat sunroom type Rooves. This will cause leaks too. If you have any dead trees cut them down and put them on the ground. At least you can control where they fall ahead of a storm. When Fran hit we had a dozen trees fall towards the house in Richmond. Luckily none of them hit the house. The power was out a week. The whole front of the house was covered in a black slime from the wind. The trees seem really weak from global warming here in South Carolina they fall over all the time for no reason and during every major rain storm. We had five fall over this spring during an EF0 tornado. That's what scares me the most about this storm.

Buy a power bank for cell phones. Stay safe everyone!

edit on 11-9-2018 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I know that guy too, his name rhymes with HeeHeeSowToy.

I said, "backhoe", not back hair.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Why is this not in the jokes forum.

120mph winds 30+ inches of rain and it is all funny.

Think about all the people in nursing homes people that will be effected.

No class

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
No class

Good point. There probably wont be any school because of this either.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Why is this not in the jokes forum.

120mph winds 30+ inches of rain and it is all funny.

Think about all the people in nursing homes people that will be effected.

No class

"And if I laugh at any mortal thing,
'T is that I may not weep; and if I weep,
'T is that our nature cannot always bring
Itself to apathy, for we must steep "

-Byron

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

your right.

However some people could be reading this that are not aware of what is heading toward them. That area has not been subject to such in decades. It is not like florida and such that could pull through with their eyes closed.

I get a bad feeling about this one so should i just ignore my gut in favor of having a few laughs then hope god works it all out?

Have a heart?

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

your right.

However some people could be reading this that are not aware of what is heading toward them. That area has not been subject to such in decades. It is not like florida and such that could pull through with their eyes closed.

I get a bad feeling about this one so should i just ignore my gut in favor of having a few laughs then hope god works it all out?

Have a heart?

If you or anyone else is relying on DBCowboy for safety tips during a hurricane, then there is a host of other issues you might be having.

It's okay to laugh at danger.

I do every time I put on pants.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Have a heart?

He already has one, he keeps it under his bed.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If you or anyone else is relying on DBCowboy for safety tips during a hurricane, then there is a host of other issues you might be having.

I see a new thread; DB's Sensible Tips for when the SHTF.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join