It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Doom. . . . I mean Florence

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Floyd hit NC as a CAT 2 with winds of only 104. It was responsible for 52 Deaths. Its the rainfall total guys and if it stalls out. People are putting to much stock in it being only a cat 2.

Look at this pic of my hometown. CAT 2 Floyd caused this. Maybe this won't happen but if the rainfall totals are as they claim they will be it very well can. It doesn't take a monster Cat 4 hurricane to cause them! Especially when it has rained a lot over the last few months, your area is already above its average rainfall totals and the ground is already saturated and the local rivers high. To clarify I'm not saying its gonna happen but it can.

edit on 13-9-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: trb71

11pm update. Max Wind = 105mph. Forward speed has slowed to 10mph.
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The winds are picking up here. Still no more than breezy though with an occasional gust of stronger wind.
I am 280 north of the center. Almost due north.
Skies are overcast and have been so all day. I am not seeing the yellow light or low cloud bank of an approaching hurricane.
I do not expect to see that with the current track of the storm. I will be surprised frankly if we even get any rain but I will update if we do.
No word from our Carolina brothers and sisters?
My sister has left Oak Island. I am watching reports showing Tops Sail Beach and Carolina Beach which are near her and I am familiar with those locations. Wishing them all safety.
Everyone in the Carolinas.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Slow forward speed means a lot of rain in the same area for prolonged periods. I remember Floyd rained on us for 24 hours.
Rain like I have never seen before. Like someone with a bucket sized hose was spraying water on my car windshield at one point. I had to pull over and wait for that band to pass. It was very very bad. Not bad wind wise. Sixty MPH gusts occasionally higher but not bad. But the rain just kept coming and coming. Band after band of really heavy rain.
One city just west of me was almost all under water.
www.google.com... KEwjwy4r067jdAhVtkuAKHXa9AeoQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1440&bih=763

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Well at least we won't have the extreme wind to worry about. Florence was just downgraded to category 1 I believe.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think everything will be ok. Trump verified that at worst, it was very large and very wet. So.. all clear!

On a more serious note, please be safe folks.. a week of heavy rain is nothing to joke about, don't take chances. Mother nature always wins.
edit on 13-9-2018 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well update from Jones count nd at about 8 pm local time the lights finally failed. Spent evening with pregnant neighbor and her kids and my mom because neighbors idiot boyfriend took her car to ride around with his buddy a nd took his truck keys with him .several trees in forest behind house have fallen..

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well update from Jones count nd at about 8 pm local time the lights finally failed. Spent evening with pregnant neighbor and her kids and my mom because neighbors idiot boyfriend took her car to ride around with his buddy a nd took his truck keys with him .several trees in forest behind house have fallen..

Dear god stay safe man.

Stay safe.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

You're far braver than CNN creampuffs Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon. They assigned themselves to the "weak" side of the storm, at Myrtle Beach. Little wind/rain during their heroic live reporting right on the beach, with gentle waves splashing ashore behind them.
edit on 9/13/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
5:22 am.....myrtle beach SC
local TV WBTW reports hurricane still offshore and it will take hours to make landfall as a Cat. 1 storm (9 am ?)

power still on, my windows are not shuttered yet, still no rain or squalls here at Pine Lakes Golf course area but rain cells are dumping rain all around me according to Live TV reports...

the pleas to 'evacuate' have finally stopped... i surmise that 25% of locals have chosen to 'hunker down'...

looks like Sunday will be 1st opportunity to do a walk-about & survey damages to the property & neighbors
...our immediate neighbors have invited friends from beach front in home, blond retriever dog to keep their boxer company too, i think they partyed all Wednesday night to celebrate

the reporting hype has calmed down...i guess exhaustion has tempered their rhetoric and sensationalism/hype--> all except for the 40-inches-of-rain chorus they won't stop chirping about

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
the hurricane eye-wall is crossing land at Wrightsville beach, adjoining Wilmington, at around 7:15 am... its not official until the whole hurricane eye is over land... which will take about another 1/2 hour as the storm is now crawling at 6 mph...

final got some natural daylight, the pine tree that has died since hurricane Matthew got the top 15 foot snapped off, and the two spindly pines that were leaning on my power line are still there--- but I suspect the 30 degree leaning trees will get blown down as the hurricane heads SW to my area in zip code 29577

hunkering down continues...until the power lines snap from falling trees as the big Gusts get started for the next 24-36 hours of unrelenting squalls & possible tornados from the east side of the storm come this way

see ya

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
FYI

at 10:15 am, a transformer blew---the power went out

the eye was 3 mph from a 7:15 landfall at Wrightsville Beach NC...here (myrtle beach SC) the gusts might hit 35mph

Sooooo ….. the repair crews got power restored here, some 60 miles from the hurricane eye, in 3 hours with the wind gusting and minimal rain... so much for the 'Devestating Storm' hype being twittered about

one new drawback... I cant get text messages sent back to people who texted me...
I keep getting 'FAILED' to Send message

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
FYI

at 10:15 am, a transformer blew---the power went out

the eye was 3 mph from a 7:15 landfall at Wrightsville Beach NC...here (myrtle beach SC) the gusts might hit 35mph

Sooooo ….. the repair crews got power restored here, some 60 miles from the hurricane eye, in 3 hours with the wind gusting and minimal rain... so much for the 'Devestating Storm' hype being twittered about

one new drawback... I cant get text messages sent back to people who texted me...
I keep getting 'FAILED' to Send message

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

If Florence had never become stronger than a CAT-2 out in the ocean, there wouldn't have been so much hype. "Storm of a Lifetime" turned out to be true though, if you're under age 10.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join