It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about NYT Op-Ed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
What makes this an attempted coup? Trump is still in power.
Even if you are eluding to the op-ed bringing up using the 25th, that is not a coup, that is built into the constitution.

This anonymous op-ed looks like part of a 'softening' process. I've figured from the word go that the GOP would allow Trump a certain amount of crazy as long as he slid through some potentially unpopular legislation (tax cuts for the rich, etc). Then they'd yank his leash before November so they suddenly look like staid lawmakers, rather than gutless enablers. So the next weeks should be interesting, to say the least.

But to segue to the other revelations of the week, we have another book, too. Funny thing, though...there has always been a rumour pervading ATS that Woodward has some heavy See Eye Eh connections, yet I have not seen that come up in the great slamming of his book. And all of a sudden, some powerhouse TV shows appear that paint a happy face on the alphabet agencies. Hmmmm...
But please, burn your Nikes. Nothin' going on here. Just move along, nothing to see...

edit on 10-9-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: yes!

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Treason? Who is the enemy that is being aided and comforted by this op-ed piece?

An enemy from within attempting an internal coup.

Who would have thought back in the early 2000's when the government wrote up all their concerns and warnings about internal enemies and infiltrating the government that we could possibly be talking about radical RINOs or Democrats as opposed to a radical Muslim?

Everyone, to answer your question, though you should be careful labeling RINOs or Democrats or anyone else. Internal coup means just that... any group of insiders that is opposed to whatever the current elected government is. So you could have had an "internal coup" for Obama or Bush or anyone else (though I think there was a partial move during Reagan and Nixon.)

However, the actions of other presidents didn't trigger alarm on this kind of level (and yes, that includes Obama. Here on ATS there was lots of howling and shrieking but elsewhere there wasn't.) None of them gave such "off the rails" speeches even when talking extemporaneously (read a few paragraphs of Trump speaking without a prompt and then read any other President. You can quickly see the difference.)

But yes, "internal coup" means people within the government. You might have thought Muslims but I assure you that officials weren't thinking Muslims. They were thinking radical Americans.

you are supposed to be one of the smart one's here. Do you consider a coup of an elected government to be something possibly against the constitution, or is this covered under some clause I'm not smart enough to know about?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Byrd

a reply to: Sookiechacha

Treason? Who is the enemy that is being aided and comforted by this op-ed piece?

An enemy from within attempting an internal coup.

Who would have thought back in the early 2000's when the government wrote up all their concerns and warnings about internal enemies and infiltrating the government that we could possibly be talking about radical RINOs or Democrats as opposed to a radical Muslim?

Everyone, to answer your question, though you should be careful labeling RINOs or Democrats or anyone else. Internal coup means just that... any group of insiders that is opposed to whatever the current elected government is. So you could have had an "internal coup" for Obama or Bush or anyone else (though I think there was a partial move during Reagan and Nixon.)

However, the actions of other presidents didn't trigger alarm on this kind of level (and yes, that includes Obama. Here on ATS there was lots of howling and shrieking but elsewhere there wasn't.) None of them gave such "off the rails" speeches even when talking extemporaneously (read a few paragraphs of Trump speaking without a prompt and then read any other President. You can quickly see the difference.)

But yes, "internal coup" means people within the government. You might have thought Muslims but I assure you that officials weren't thinking Muslims. They were thinking radical Americans.

you are supposed to be one of the smart one's here. Do you consider a coup of an elected government to be something possibly against the constitution, or is this covered under some clause I'm not smart enough to know about?

So people aren't smart unless they share the same opinion as you?

An op-ed comes out from people he appointed saying they support his agenda but try and block aspects they don't like? They never say how they do that yet you and other members jump to "this is treason and an attempted coup"

How is it an attempted coup? Because people he appointed are trying to stop only certain aspects of his agenda? Did elected officials not try and stop Obama from large amounts of his agenda? And what was the rhetoric from the right when that was going on? Something along the lines of "we're doing it to protect the country".

I didn't support Obama, and I'm not a Trump supporter, but I'm also not a "never Trumper".

Just calling it how I see it, it's politics, both sides always cry foul while they veil their actions under "we're doing what's best for our country". And both sides view whats best for the country as no compromise, and block opponents even if it's good for the country out of spite.

I'm sure some Democrats viewed the whole "Obama wasn't even born here, and he's a Muslim" as an attempted coup of sorts.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: howtonhawky

"Simply stated the right is all fired up and not operating and viewing things in context as to how this country operates. "

WOW! The right are the ones not operating within the confines of the constitution? The last I saw the right are the ones who won an election and are appointing nominees and doing things the way the constitution calls for and the left were the ones not accepting the outcomes and losing their collective Sh1t.

Nice!
I was speaking about the op and you equated that to everything going on in the country as if i agree with all the other bs.

Context much?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: network dude

Most people do not like their boss...

Ever heard of liberty?

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Please spell it out a bit.

Having someone working for you that does not agree with what you are doing is nothing knew.

You asked what part of the constitution allows for such and i answered that freedom allows it.

I also believe that liberty allows trump to try to find out who it is and discipline them or fire them.

However it is not a criminal offense. Treason only happens in war time. The war on the peons does not count.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

a reply to: howtonhawky

The precedence the last potus's set seems to indicate this is not a coup.

That depends on who's doing it. If it turns out to be someone who's on a first name basis with Andrew McCabe or Peter Strzok, I think we have a serious problem.

Maybe.

You may mean to say that if the op ed peep is conspiring with those peeps then it could be criminal.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join