It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Serena Williams fiasco at the 2018 US Open

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree.

But why have male officials for a female sport?
The insinuations and accusations of sexism could’ve been avoided...

I also understand that sometimes, if it’s not something, it’s another...

Just thought I’d participate in the thread.

I like tennis.

What are you gonna do when the two players are of different ethnicity? Do you have to find a multiethnic umpire so no one can cry "racism"?

ETA: ketsuko beat me to this on the previous page
edit on 9 9 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Judging from the responses, I must’ve come across differently than I intended.

That’s ok...

There was one (potential) problem alluded to as a result, and I think it would’ve been easy enough to avoid, even if it didn’t address all (potential) problems. (“... if it’s not something, it’s another.”)

Tangent: I have been watching less and less sports because of the officiating. Way too subjective and biased any which way, anyways.

(Edit to add: officiating should be automated already, lol)
edit on 9/9/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Bad sportsmanship. There must be zero tolerance to people fighting and arguing with the referee. If you cannot handle the decision, then you should not play.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Im looking forward to Del Potro v Djokovic match today

Should be epic enough to get the bad taste Serena left in everyone’s mouth out
edit on 3532x6735America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The worst part is that it totally ruined Osaka's first Major win. That, and the umpire is probably going to be unjustly run out of his job.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Lmao you people.

If someone deducted a point from me for a thumbs up I would have thrown him out of his chair.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Must be a liberal, you believe the rules don't apply to you.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Then there is this: wwos.nine.com.au...
Serena's coach admits to coaching from the stands during the US Open, you don't have to like the rules, but they are the rules and when you break them you get punished, she was warned about the coaching then proceded to be a child and break her racket, then argue with the umpire.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
tennis players have it pretty easy compared to moto gp.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
dp.
edit on 9-9-2018 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Question?

Why have you posted this thread in U.S. Sports ?

Tennis is a world game and actually invented in Britain.

This happened at the U.S. open and also Serena Williams is an American. That would seem to qualify it.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Lmao you people.

If someone deducted a point from me for a thumbs up I would have thrown him out of his chair.

It wasn't actually a thumbs up. That's what Serena said. ESPN clearly caught him gesturing for her to move forward to the net, which she proceeded to start doing.

This was explained in the OP by the way. Didn't read the OP, didn't watch the match, here commenting without knowing what he's talking about. Great job.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: alldaylong

Question?

Why have you posted this thread in U.S. Sports ?

Tennis is a world game and actually invented in Britain.

This happened at the U.S. open and also Serena Williams is an American. That would seem to qualify it.

By his standards, a thread about the Canadian Football League would belong in the US Sports forum.

Gotta love when people try to overthink # that doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
She lost her composure and got off her game. From reports i've read, she was getting outplayed. Her whole two minute tirade was totally on her.

" I told you to apologize to me"
"you'll never chair another game of mine"
"Because I'm a women"
Then afterward playing the sexist card.......

Not very goodl.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
In all fairness to Serena, she showed a lot more class than Mcenroe did, when he got upset.

What got the whole ball rolling was him calling out the warning on hand signals from her coach. She was really offended he basically called her a cheater, and when he said he didn’t think of her as a cheater, she assumed he had canceled the warning. That’s what the threw her in a tizzy for the second infraction, when she lost a point.

I felt bad for her losing a game,( let alone the title).. but she should have kept her mouth shut, though hard to do when you’re so emotionally charged. She learned some tough lessons that day, hopefully she’ll know better how to keep her cool next time.
edit on 9-9-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Bad sportsmanship. There must be zero tolerance to people fighting and arguing with the referee. If you cannot handle the decision, then you should not play.

Far too simplistic..the refs do affect the outcomes in large fashion and are VERY often wrong.

Too the point of looking highly rigged as well.

This "respect the referees at all costs" has nothing to do with fairness or morality...and of that is SPORTSMANSHIP....well time to overturn the ship.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Apparently standing up to The Patriarchy (tm) cost $17k.

Something, something, something, believe in something, at all costs.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

I suppose if you don't like a call, you should just go beating the crap out of the refs or chewing them out? Or we could just not have any.

Then every sport would look like a kids game of cowboys and Indians:

"I shot you!"

"Did not!"

"Did to!"

"Did not!'

Or worse, we'd have players beating the snot out of each other. Then every sport would be a contact sport, and the good old days when people were talking about the concussion problem of football would be a sweet, hazy memory.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Just read a new story on this. Apparently she was goaded into anger by the male judge. Obviously it was his fault. No way she could be responsible for her own actions. She is being demonized for actions celebrated if men do it. Who is doing the celebrating is not mentioned.

And before anyone says it, I think the male tennis players who act like jack a**es are just as pathetic. You want to call yourself an adult and a professional? Act that way. If there is a continual ruling discrepancy between male and female players, maybe it's time for some legal action.

I am guessing it won't happen because they know where the butter comes from. Serena still made $1+ million. No need to rock that boat. Or I could be wrong and they show some fortitude. We'll see.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
What got the whole ball rolling was him calling out the warning on hand signals from her coach. She was really offended he basically called her a cheater, and when he said he didn’t think of her as a cheater, she assumed he had canceled the warning. That’s what the threw her in a tizzy for the second infraction, when she lost a point.

The Coach Admitted he was coaching......

As it turned out, there was no doubt Mouratoglou was coaching because he admitted as much on air to ESPN analyst Pam Shriver: "I was coaching, but I don't think [Serena] looked at me. [Osaka's] coach was coaching the whole time, too. Everyone is doing it, 100 percent of the time."

ESPN Link

Serena started to play closer to the net after the coaching as well, which was what the coach's hand signal was.

Serena had lost the first set 6-2, it's not like she was leading and it was "stolen" from her.

It's bad to see a great player melt down like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join