It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monthly or bi-monthly book club - read, discuss, examine, analyze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I came across that "old" book Dope, Inc a few days ago and I've been fascinated by it ever since. I never found a book that exposed so much before its time (and accurately) and one that is possibly even more important or relevant today. I noticed that some members had heard of this book before, but I hadn't seen any mention of it anywhere on the web before and that is a real pity when this book should be required reading for people who like forums/sites like this.

So I am suggesting that we set upo some kind of group/club (IDK if the site allows for groups/clubs through friends settings or what not) but my idea is to start a list of books that would be good for discussion, hopefully relevant to the core theme of this site and not too politically biased one side or the other (keeping partisan politics out would be my goal, lets bash all of them!!). We choose a book to read over a month, or 2 months (depending on size) and then have discussions every 3/4 days where we share what we see, what things mean to us, if we have any unique personal insight into the issue (either a different understanding of what was written or first hand experience/knowledge that could support or help make the "picture" clearer in the book).

I guess there may need to be a moderator of some kind, probably no more than someone to keep things on track, no tangents or abusive comments if things get political.

Members could submit books they think look good or ones they have read. We could have "book scouts" who look for books that would fit the bill, they will read a suggested book (or parts) and see if it is worth putting on the list.

If there is enough interest, there could be a few clubs, each reading a different book (or same club, different sections/sub forum).

IDK, just an idea that I think would be fun and get some people away from the internet for info but allow us to use the net for what it was meant for, communication, sharing ideas/opinions, etc.

Would anyone be interested in this? If so, I'd be happy to help in any way possible and I would have to suggest "Dope, Inc" as the first book and then another pick would be "Confessions of an economic Hitman" and "The Secret History of the American Empire: The Truth About Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and How to Change the World" by John Perkins which are both good books to give an idea of how powerful countries (US/England/Europe) rape/exploit natural resources of the 3rd world by all kinds of means largely using the IMF and World bank to offer loans which can never be paid back. Now there may be better books on the subject, I just know this one and they were page turners for me. If you read all three of these books, you would have a very good idea of why the world is in the state that it is. Follow those up with "War is a Racket" and "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" and those cover the other issues in the world, war, the causes (basically political issues which lead to war) and you would have a well rounded sense of the matter.

Now there may be older books that are better and I'm hoping for some of you more well read members to offer suggestions in this.

I'm wondering if there is any way to have use Twitter or FB for a book club - to help get word out on the books and the subject (along with readers comments) and possible bring new people to the site that found the topics interesting! That could be a way to reach peopel who aren't aware of what is going on. BTW I'm Twitter/Facebook illiterate (along with all other social media, so I can't help there)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I'd be into that. Love reading books. Mostly old Sci Fi. Larry Niven and such.

Dunno what forum it would be under but if a book was suggested, I'd source it and read it. Later giving a subjective review, Dope,,,well never heard of it but would give it a read if I can find it.

Good thought.

Cheers,

bally

edit on 9-9-2018 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I really do enjoy reading books. But my biggest interest is scientific publications and manifest. Would suggesting manifesto reading be appropriate? Either way I am down.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I would be in...def old scifi and pulp have to be in the mix...

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We used to have one on here. Learned about some great books, and we read the Dog Star. Then it just kind of fizzled out. Was a shame really.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I love this idea. I'd be into it.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Windup bird chronicles. Read it. Now!!!

top topics

join