It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite Outrage, Nike Sales Increased 31% After Kaepernick Ad

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Looks like Nike sales still solid, and even more so, after making Kaepernick the new face of their brand this year:

Nike sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday over the Labor Day holiday this year compared with the previous year, according to Edison Trends.

On Sept. 3, Nike debuted their new campaign featuring the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who sparked the wave of NFL national anthem protests against racial inequality last year.His actions enraged many, leading Kaepernick, who is currently an unsigned free agent, to claim he has been blacklisted by NFL leadership. Nike followed up on Wednesday, releasing an ad featuring Kaepernick, which aired during the NFL season opener on Thursday.

Source

I'm sure we're all aware of the backlash Nike received from some over their choice given the National Anthem fiasco. Folks burning or destroying their Nike branded items in protest. Obviously this was the next logical step after their demonization of the players and NFL didn't pan out well.

I mean hey if you think you're making a good point by burning a pair of Nikes you already bought and own, more power to ya. Freedom of protest. With that said, evidently the tactics pulled against the kneelers over the last 2 years since Kaepernick first kneeled aren't changing minds on either side. May I, once again, make the recommendation that the President and his administration meet with the kneelers to address their concerns directly? Given how big of an issue this is to him and his supporters? Maybe that's the next step.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

This isn't surprising to me.

America isn't the only country who buys Nike, also just as many people will support their move as protest.

I think protesting on your employers dime for politics is risky, and he found out where the chips fell in his case.

I find it ironic though Nike is presenting the image they're for social justice of any kind considering they profit off of sweat shops.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

America isn't the only country who buys Nike, also just as many people will support their move as protest.

Indeed.

Evidently Nike also knew what sort of response may be sparked by some given Kaepernick's controversy... but hey, they went ahead regardless. They must've weighed the positives against the negatives and felt it was of little risk.

I think protesting on your employers dime for politics is risky, and he found out where the chips fell in his case.

I agree, it is risky. Yet the kneelers continue to kneel two years on. They're well aware of what they're doing, even in spite the the new rules the NFL put in place, and have no qualms continuing to do so. The NFL, despite being their employers, don't seem too intent or willing on taking much of any action on these players. That's possibly a motivation for why they continue to kneel.

I find it ironic though Nike is presenting the image they're for social justice of any kind considering they profit off of sweat shops.

I actually fully agree with you there. There was a satire post I read somewhere addressing this. Nike is only concerned with profit and evidently this is the core motivator for taking on Kaepernick.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Ive hated Nike well before this. Living and working in Portland and having to deal with Nike employees left a sour taste in my mouth. Entitled is the NICEST thing I can say about those I've dealt with. So this Kap thing isn't anything new to me. Weiden Kennedy saw an opportunity and jumped on it. If anything, it's not Nike's fault. It's their advertising company, and that would be weiden Kennedy.
edit on 8-9-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Back in the late 90's (pre-Internet) I went to the mall with my one buddy that was all supa urban wannabe cool dude... we made it into the shoe store... and they had these Nike TShirts. Basically, well, they were tshirts with big swooshes on them. $50-60 they all cost! I was blwn away by this. And he bought one. We had a long walk home from the mall. In that time it became clear to me the absurdity of paying big bucks for an advertisement you're going to go wear for the company.

F Nike!

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Back in the late 90's (pre-Internet) I went to the mall with my one buddy that was all supa urban wannabe cool dude... we made it into the shoe store... and they had these Nike TShirts. Basically, well, they were tshirts with big swooshes on them. $50-60 they all cost! I was blwn away by this. And he bought one. We had a long walk home from the mall. In that time it became clear to me the absurdity of paying big bucks for an advertisement you're going to go wear for the company.

F Nike!

On the other side of the coin, someone will pay 1,500 for a rifle, when they already have 15 in their gun safe. (I'm guilty of this)
edit on 8-9-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I didnt challenge the price of the shoes, nor shoe collecting.

When gun nuts start paying $55 for an advertisement tshirt, to wear at high school, let me know. I'll break these same words.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Looks like Nike sales still solid, and even more so, after making Kaepernick the new face of their brand this year:

Nike sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday over the Labor Day holiday this year compared with the previous year, according to Edison Trends.

On Sept. 3, Nike debuted their new campaign featuring the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who sparked the wave of NFL national anthem protests against racial inequality last year.His actions enraged many, leading Kaepernick, who is currently an unsigned free agent, to claim he has been blacklisted by NFL leadership. Nike followed up on Wednesday, releasing an ad featuring Kaepernick, which aired during the NFL season opener on Thursday.

Source

I'm sure we're all aware of the backlash Nike received from some over their choice given the National Anthem fiasco. Folks burning or destroying their Nike branded items in protest. Obviously this was the next logical step after their demonization of the players and NFL didn't pan out well.

I mean hey if you think you're making a good point by burning a pair of Nikes you already bought and own, more power to ya. Freedom of protest. With that said, evidently the tactics pulled against the kneelers over the last 2 years since Kaepernick first kneeled aren't changing minds on either side. May I, once again, make the recommendation that the President and his administration meet with the kneelers to address their concerns directly? Given how big of an issue this is to him and his supporters? Maybe that's the next step.

Cool. Their sales are up for a week. I'll be much more impressed if this held true for the rest of the year.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Nobody wants to admit what it really means? People support him, and support what he's done.
Most people do.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Nike is getting more free advertising with the publicity they are receiving for this than they spent on the campaign itself.

As for the other gentlemen kneeling, it blows my mind that people are emotionally invested in what people playing a game do.
edit on 8-9-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It’s true, a lot of people went Nike crazy and went out and bought all kinds of stuff. I had to laugh at the irony of supporting social justice through buying clothes and shoes that were made in a sweatshop in China.

The only people dumber are the ones who burned all their Nike stuff in protest. Because nothing sticks it to a company like burning something you’ve already paid for.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

yep, I could personally give half a turd what anyone in professional sports, music,movies or otherwise thinks, does, acts or says. I laugh at the throngs of followers on this planet, not brave enough to live their own virtue.

Kaepernick is just another media whore, no more, no less.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

yep, I could personally give half a turd what anyone in professional sports, music,movies or otherwise thinks, does, acts or says. I laugh at the throngs of followers on this planet, not brave enough to live their own virtue.

Kaepernick is just another media whore, no more, no less.

My general rule of thumb is to try and not let anything that doesn't directly effect me have any emotional response...

Because why should it.
edit on 8-9-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

is that somehow meaningful? despite outrage, Nike still makes money? golly, who cares? Why do you? Nike still uses slave like labor to sell their product...and you applaud them...gosh, point taken!

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well see what the real effect is when the next earnings report comes out.

Outside of tha metric, nothing matters.

If they fail to beat quarterly earnings in the next quarter, that's the true measure of this "stunt".

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Well see what the real effect is when the next earnings report comes out.

Outside of tha metric, nothing matters.

If they fail to beat quarterly earnings in the next quarter, that's the true measure of this "stunt".

I will make a gentleman's bet with you that if anything this stunt will increase sales.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Nike has beat its earnings estimate the past 3 quarters, iirc. I'm guessing a 4th quarter match or an actual miss on earnings.

Either would be "devastating" to their recent stock trend.

It's not a move I would have made, or something I would have liked to seen as an investor, if I were one

link   
"Outrage"

lol

link   
I’ll never by their slave labor products again. And f@ck that angry half black guy! If he really wanted to make a difference he should have protested black on black murder, much worse then any imaginary threat from the police

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Leftist feed.

The article is pulling information from one primary source,

trends.edison.tech...

Infact, both times, the Times author, Gina Martinez, cites the same exact link under different names, one as the actual edison report and "market sources", lol.

The crux pretty much says that both 2017 and 2018 see a decline in sales on the Sunday before labor day and a boost the following.

This year, activism helped pushed some of those sales figures, but for the most part, its been seeing declines for quite some time.

"But the research confirms that, at least for now, the company is suffering no negative repercussions in sales." - Edison et al.

In other words, a nice little boost to help get nike back on its feet 😏

Besides, online surge was most likely the result of leftist buying up Nikes to show their misguided support 😌
I can't blame them, when fools tried to boycott In and Out, it was met with fire and fury, hell even I went to support them by ordering a 4x4 and Animal fries /Sweet tea 😩

Anyways, thought I throw a bit of grounded glass pieces an bits in ya'lls little circle jerk 🤭

edit on 9-9-2018 by Arnie123 because: Ooooh!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join