It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nike's Ad is Stupid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think that Nike is just following the market. I suspect that a sizable part of their customer base is African-american. That's who the ad is made to appeal to. Good enough.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

I hope you're being facetious, because it's obvious that those conservative talking points aren't what the ad is about. You're just deflecting from the issue, which is exactly what Intrepid said people are doing. Therefore, you're strengthening our argument.
I'll reiterate, if you don't like Cap, ignore the fact that it's him talking. Listen to what he's saying. It's a great message.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Sure
If the one speaking had sacrificed something.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

That's my whole point though. Putting aside the fact that I disagree with you on whether or not he sacrificed something, who cares if he didn't? Imagine that exact same commercial, exact same words, but Cap was replaced with an unknown voiceover actor that isn't present on screen. A person no one would have any idea of whether or not they sacrificed anything, saying the exact same things Cap says. Would that change the message? If so, why?
Bottom line, I don't care who is saying it. It's a good message.

It's similar to a smoker telling their kids to not smoke. Even if it's a bit hypocritical for that specific person to deliver the message, it's still a good message.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Disagree on a couple of points. Yeah the ad is kinda silly when you dig down into it, but it's already made them millions so...

Second. "just do it" is always good advice. Prove me wrong.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

That's my whole point though. Putting aside the fact that I disagree with you on whether or not he sacrificed something, who cares if he didn't? Imagine that exact same commercial, exact same words, but Cap was replaced with an unknown voiceover actor that isn't present on screen. A person no one would have any idea of whether or not they sacrificed anything, saying the exact same things Cap says. Would that change the message? If so, why?
Bottom line, I don't care who is saying it. It's a good message.

It's similar to a smoker telling their kids to not smoke. Even if it's a bit hypocritical for that specific person to deliver the message, it's still a good message.

Yes it would change the ad.
Nike goofed the message by having some one who sacrificed nothing deliver it.
It is a slap to the face of those who actually sacrificed.
Ali gave up EVERYTHING for what he believed in.
Kap is not in that league.
Kap opted out of his contract.
He quit.
What was his sacrifice?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Any press is good press.

Nike couldn't care less about "bad".

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

There's that, too.

Can't remember the last time I bought Nike. I think I was in high school...

They priced themselves out of my billfold years, and years, ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

How would it change the ad? You didn't clarify.

My thoughts: If it was a random voice talking over the same action shots, no one would think twice about who was speaking, and would only listen to the message. The fact that it's Kap, who did something that some people disagree with, is the only reason this ad has any negative press. It's a great message.

I never said he was in the same league as Ali. I agree with you on that.

I would argue that his name is forever tarnished in the eyes of a significant portion of the country, which can be construed as a sacrifice in this day and age. He took a stand against something he disagreed with, and people are going to drag him through the mud for it for the rest of his life. That could affect his future jobs and well being. Therefore, a sacrifice. I'm not saying it's the same kind of sacrifice that Ali made, or soldiers, etc, but it is a sacrifice. However, that wasn't the point of my post. My point was that someone who has never sacrificed anything in their life could've voiced that ad, and the message would still be incredible.

And clearly, Nike didn't mess up, since their sales are up 31% after the ad released. That's 100% proof that the ad was a success.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Look, trump came down on Kap. trump's word is gospel, chapter and verse, to his followers. To many trump is infact sent by God. The Messiah!

www.vox.com...
edit on 10-9-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Any press is good press.

Nike couldn't care less about "bad".

Then why dosen't trump stop with the whine if any press is beneficial? Crybabies are annoying.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
a reply to: japhrimu

Second. "just do it" is always good advice. Prove me wrong.

First point: I hear ya.

Second point: “Just do it.” - Harvey Weinstein

(Edit to add to 2nd point: Me, a minute ago: “Should I post this joke?...” Also me: “Just do it.”)

edit on 9/10/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Despite Outrage, Nike Sales Increased 31% After Kaepernick Ad

www.yahoo.com...

Dude will soon get the biggest fro award.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Like he's the only one, right??

Take a look around. He's a symptom, not a cause.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I have thoroughly enjoyed the idiocy from both sides on this topic.

Im more sure than ever that most dont create their own opinions, and instead just do what their media tells them to think.

I'm just gonna say it took me 10 years before I watched the Exorcist, because of the hype.

After I saw it, I thought it was stupid.

Maybe in 10 years I'll watch this ad.

Until then I have no opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join