It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: UK Anti-terror plan faces first test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The contraversial plan to detain terrorist suspects under house arrest without trial is going to have its first test today in Parliament, with Lib Dem and Torie MP's expected to vote against it saying it wrongly attacks civil liberties. Secretary Charles Clarke believes the powers are needed to counter terror threats. Although likely to pass Commons this plan is expected to face a battle in the House of Lords.

news.bbc.co.uk
Home Secretary Charles Clarke says the powers are needed to replace indefinite jail for foreign terror suspects, which the law lords have ruled against. He says there is a real threat, and his decisions will be vetted by the courts.

It proposes "control orders", which would mean house arrest in the most serious cases, and curfews, electronic tagging and limits on telephone and internet access for other suspects.

The new powers would apply to British as well as foreign terror suspects for the first time, something critics say is the biggest attack on British freedoms for 300 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I just can't back something like this, and if it were ever implemented I believe it would have serious consequences. What is the point of feeling a little more secure (not that I have ever, even for one second, felt threatened by terrorist attacks in this country) if you have to give up freedoms to do so?

I feel that the issue of terrorism is being seriously exploited to get people in the UK to allow scary plans such as this one, which also applies to British people. The area is too wide and a law such as this can be seriously exploited as there's no defining line...

[edit on 23-2-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Update

Angry clashes over terror plans

Tony Blair was accused of arrogance and of attacking civil liberties as he defended his anti-terror plans ahead of MPs' first debate and vote on them.

Tory leader Michael Howard accused Mr Blair of steamrolling the house arrest plans and of "using national security for political point scoring".
Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy told MPs the plans were "authoritarian".

Mr Blair said national security was his top priority, and said the Tories were the ones playing politics on the issue.

Although nothing sickens me more than the opportunitism and exploitation of the Tories, this randomly thrown knife is for once right. I can't believe for one second that a law like this could be passed, and would be sickened if it were.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Good post JohnNada.

...I'm especially interested because I see it as a test run for what's about to come down in North America. The so-called North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is about to be expanded - and "security measures" like this will be part of the package.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
For years Britain was attacked by the IRA and never once was anything like this bill mentioned. What is the difference now ?

Bush & Blair are in power. Blair wants his own pet version of Patriot Act.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
For years Britain was attacked by the IRA and never once was anything like this bill mentioned. What is the difference now ?

Bush & Blair are in power. Blair wants his own pet version of Patriot Act.

Naww. IMO - Bush is pushing Blair to do it. Looking for harmonization.

...Wonder what the pay off is?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Another Update

Blair defends anti-terror plans

Prime Minister Tony Blair has defended controversial proposals to deal with terror suspects as the most "responsible" action to take.
He was writing in the Daily Telegraph, after a Commons vote approved the plans, despite considerable opposition.

The plans, which include detaining suspects under house arrest without trial, face further Commons scrutiny on Monday before passing to the Lords.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke has hinted that concessions may be made.

It seems no one is warming to this idea at all except for Blair, and I would be stunned if this were to be passed as a proper law in the near future. Mind you, it seems nothing surprises me lately.

new topics

top topics

join