It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroic undocumented immigrants beat down white militia with unregistered firearms in Texas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hasn't it been that way for awhile? Christopher Columbus, Native American genocide, the founding fathers owning slaves, America becoming the tyrannical empire it first fought against, etc.....

When has American education ever told the full raw truth? This is nothing new.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
"Now children why must we remember the Alamo?"

"Oh I know comrade teacher I know! We always remember it because it is here that the Capitalist Pigs of America stole the territory of Texas from Mexico from which it had belonged since pre-historic times!"

"Yes young Che, that is the reason we must remember the Alamo! Great job!"

Bell rings

"Now children of the glorius revolution do not forget your report on why rationing is good for the motherland and also make sure and tell me if your parents have any disagreements with what we have talked about today!"

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

"

cause ozzy pissed on it in 1982
????

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Its about stripping the national identity from Texans.

We mostly view ourselves as independant. Many see themselves as Texans first, US citizens second. I do.

They are stripping our national heritage.

This story is a shame

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

How does the use of the word "heroic" change the historical context of what happened?

It appears you are using an appeal to racial aspects and are employing a slippery slope fallacy...for no apparent reason.

I would say that "heroic" in that context implies that they sacrificed their lives for what they believed was right, and just. I'm sure, however, that had the Mexicans ultimately won the war, "heroic" would not appear in their history books.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

How does the use of the word "heroic" change the historical context of what happened?

It appears you are using an appeal to racial aspects and are employing a slippery slope fallacy...for no apparent reason.

They want to change the perception of what happened. Were those in the Alamo heroes or villains?

Was Washington and the Founding Fathers heroes or villains. Start teaching children they were not heroes and soon they won't be seen as such.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Let's just keep revising history until everyone has the country and world they want.

Remember the Alamo! which version do you like?

Which one should we teach children?

The holocaust? Several versions and revisions already available.

Planet Earth? Would you like that flat or round?

edit on 8-9-2018 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I would say that "heroic" in that context implies that they sacrificed their lives for what they believed was right, and just. I'm sure, however, that had the Mexicans ultimately won the war, "heroic" would not appear in their history books.

I'm sure the term could also be used in referring to the Mexican fighters as well.

It's a generic term that does not mean much, except in the emotional response it triggers in people, depending on the context in which it is used. It appears it has done just that.
edit on 8-9-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

They want to change the perception of what happened. Were those in the Alamo heroes or villains? Was Washington and the Founding Fathers heroes or villains.

Start teaching children they were not heroes and soon they won't be seen as such.

Perception is irrelevant, except to those that concern themselves with such things, rather than the truth.

All that matters is that the facts are presented correctly and are not changed to suit a narrative.

Whether or not you use the term "heroic" is absolutely irrelevant as well and quite silly.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

We mostly view ourselves as independant. Many see themselves as Texans first, US citizens second. I do.

This story is a shame

I'm glad to see a Texan chime in.

I agree.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
thread title sounds like upcoming movie

'Machete 3'

starring Raoul Trujillo, Michelle Rodriguez, Danny Trejo, and William Fichtner as El Trumpo.
edit on 8-9-2018 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

"Oh I know comrade teacher I know! We always remember it because it is here that the Capitalist Pigs of America stole the territory of Texas from Mexico from which it had belonged since pre-historic times!"

"Yes young Che, that is the reason we must remember the Alamo! Great job!"

Bell rings

"Now children of the glorius revolution do not forget your report on why rationing is good for the motherland and also make sure and tell me if your parents have any disagreements with what we have talked about today!"

But , but , the Spanish stole Mexico from the native population

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

To hell with them. People changing the words doesn't remove the fact I am a Texan, always will be and I am not going elsewere.

Texans do our best to survive despite the federal government.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This story is a shame

thats a legit way to think about it too.

i dont have that in me but it is definitely real for people from certain places.

its worth thinking about

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

“White” militia?

What a load of revisionist tripe.

The Texian Army was a diverse group of people from many different nations including native-born Tejano volunteers.

houstonculture.org...
edit on 8-9-2018 by Deny Arrogance because: Added source.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks! You all just helped me write my history paper!

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

“White” militia?

What a load of revisionist tripe.

The Texian Army was a diverse group of people from many different nations including native-born Tejano volunteers.

It's the OP's title of the thread.

The OP must be a revisionist, huh?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Stop being obtuse. You know full well it was a sarcastic title mocking the leftist revisionists.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Stop being obtuse. You know full well it was a sarcastic title mocking the leftist revisionists.

I even stated that it was hyperbole in the OP.

But some people just can't admit it.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

And you know full well that I was not trying to "revise" anything with my statement.

Didn't stop you from saying it, though.

Did it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join